Basic Structure

rodneybr2

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Like many of you I am an aspiring screenwriter with many ideas.
But there are so many books and articles about how to write a screenplay, that it can become very overwhelming.
I just want to write and tell a good story, not bury myself under tons of books. I came across this little article that outlines the basic structure of a screenplay. How fundamental do you think this is? Is it spot on?
If you have the talent and follow this structure, could you write a successful screenplay without reading a bunch of "how to books"?

SETUP: Page 1 - 12
Define the main character/s, the place, time, mood, point of view. What's the story about? Whose story is it? What does the hero want, and who or what is stopping the hero from getting it? What happens next?

QUESTION: Page 3
What is the central question, the theme, the main issue the movie is going to resolve?

NEW OPPORTUNITY: Page 12
Something that happens to steer events in a particular direction.

CHOICE OF PATH: Page 12 - 30
Based on the new opportunity, the hero begins taking steps toward a general goal.

CHANGE OF PLANS/TURNING POINT: Page 30
What event throws hero a curve, forces response or reaction, sets the hero's plan/goal, defines the hero's new pathway for Act II? General goal(s) become specific.

PROGRESS: Page 30-60
Plans to achieve goals are working. There are conflicts but things are going pretty well. Hero is changing, circumstances are changing and stakes get higher.

MOVING FORWARD METAPHOR: Page 45
A small scene with symbolic overtones, showing the character's growth, and giving us a clue to the resolution

POINT OF NO RETURN: Page 60
Something happens so that hero, if pushing forward and committing, against all odds, to goal, cannot return to where he/she was in the setup. Sometimes, here the external goal has become internal/personal, and pursuing it will change the hero.

POST-POINT MOMENT: Page 60+
A lighter moment, which typically follows the POINT OF NO RETURN. Doesn't further action, but shows how hero is changing, then obstacles start to escalate

COMPLICATIONS AND HIGHER STAKES: Page 60 - 90
The goal becomes even harder to achieve. It looks like it will take everything to do this, harder than thought, but hero wants it more because it's harder.

ALL HOPE IS LOST/ MAJOR SETBACK/THE BIG GLOOM/ GIVING UP POINT: Page 90
The greatest setback. It appears that hero may not achieve goal, hero about to give up, but something happens that changes everything, an event that gives a chance at a goal hero didn't know he/she had

FINAL PUSH ONE SPECIFIC ACTION: Page 90 - 108
Final intensification of the hero's pursuit of the goal, which usually becomes focused here into achieving one specific action. An event occurs that educates the hero, and starts the resolution. Hero may be getting something more or different from what he/she set out to get, hero has learned something and is changed by it, a new complications sets in?

CLIMAX: Page 108 - 114
Hero is close, can see goal, final obstacle, has to give up everything in pursuit of the goal, crisis point where all is in jeopardy, final moment, all or nothing . Hero achieves or fails to achieve the goal, and outer motivation is clearly resolved, often through confrontation with a "nemesis."

THE END Page 114-120:
What is the outcome, resolution, hero's new life?

http://ascreenwriter.blogspot.com/2005/01/script-structure-basic-plot-points.html

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Welcome to the forum.

In answer to your question: anything's possible!

It could be interesting if you were to read, say, the scripts for your 10 favorite movies, and see whether they break down into these or similar beats.

Links to other beat sheets, e.g. Blake Synder's famous Save The Cat structure, can be found in the screenwriting tips thread in this forum.

-Derek

Flu

Registered
Reaction score
It's a recognizable structure, not too far from Blake Snyder's Beat Sheet, which Derek already mentioned.

Now, a structure like this doesn't assure you of writing a great script. Some people may argue against using them at all, to avoid writing cliche and predictable script. There's something to be said for that.

But when you're just learning the craft, I find that a roadmap like this can be very useful. It gives you specifics to think about when trying to turn your basic idea into a two hour movie. Just having that bit of guidance can make the difference between finishing your first draft and getting stuck somewhere in the second act. And finishing a few first drafts will be crucial at that early stage - more so than reading all the books about screenwriting that were ever published.

So, it may not be the key to the vault which holds the secret to guaranteed screenwriting success, but it can certainly be a useful tool. I look at it like that, a tool - use it, learn from it, and if at some point your gut tells you to deviate from it, don't be afraid to follow your gut.

-Johan

Judsia

Registered
Reaction score
I've only read one "How to" book on screenwriting. The only thing that stuck out was the author saying that you should hit Act 2 by page 20, reason being that 1 page of a script equals 1 minute of film, and do you really want to be 30 minutes into a film before we get to the point of the story? I forget what page he said you should hit Act 3.

I try to follow that one guideline of hitting Act 2 by page 20. After that, I go with the flow and my gut instincts.

Don't worry so much about structure. Worry about the story.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Isn't the point here that "basic" structure will provide a serviceable "basic" skeleton?

It's what you hang on the skeleton that makes the thing.

If you can't write believable dialog, it's not gonna do you much good to hit the "MOVING FORWARD METAPHOR" bang on page 45.

To me, this is only a few steps up from the "Brad Issue."

Comes down to good writing, hard work, making contacts and a lot of luck.

rodneybr2

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I think wordmonkey said it best. Just looking for a basic structure that will provide the basis for a script. A roadmap like Flu put it that will guide me to writing my screenplays.
It's funny though. I did write a short 16 page screenplay without following any rules or guidelines. I basically just sat at my computer and told the story that I wanted to tell.
I just figure it would be a bit more complicated for a feature.

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I think wordmonkey said it best. Just looking for a basic structure that will provide the basis for a script. A roadmap like Flu put it that will guide me to writing my screenplays.
It's funny though. I did write a short 16 page screenplay without following any rules or guidelines. I basically just sat at my computer and told the story that I wanted to tell.
I just figure it would be a bit more complicated for a feature.

I have no doubt that you can find many finished movies that follow the above template reasonably closely and many others that do not that work equally well.

I think that it's a mistake to get bogged down in the idea that certain things have to happen at certain pages -- especially something that's keyed to a 120 page script when these days, everybody is looking for scripts that run from 105 to 110 pages.

I think that you should really aim for simpler rules -- The first few pages should hook the reader. Within those few pages the basic premise should be, if not established outright at the very least hinted at. Establish characters through action (by which I mean characters should be put in a position of having identifiable objectives immediately which require choices that reveal their characters).

Get the story moving fast, irrespective of what kind of story it is. First Act brings everybody to the starting gate. Establish the problem to be solved. Gate Opens --the race is on.

Second Act. Something critical happens in the middle of the Second Act -- the point of no return. Then at the end of the Second Act, it looks like a Disaster from which there's no apparent recovery.

Third Act -- home stretch. They either win or don't (but in any case, the possiblity of victory had to have existed -- the success or failure should be due to the decisions, good or bad, of the protagonist(s)).

And it should all be around 105 pages.

If you burden yourself with much more than that as a beginner, you're going to give yourself a headache.

NMS

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
And it should all be around 105 pages.

I'd try to get it in at under a hundred pages.

Structure is great, but all that really matters is the tale. Sure, it has to play into the three act or five act structure, but the story is what counts.