What genre would this be, and suggested reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
So I've had an idea brewing for some time, but I'm not entirely sure what genre it'd be considered. Mainstream? contemporary? Women's Lit?

The story is basically involving a lot of elements in my life about fathers (I've had 5), but told fictionally and I'm thinking 1st person POV. It's kind of a "this is my life, what's happened, how it's changed me" kind of thing (in a very bare kind of way).

And what suggestions would you have of similar stories told in first person?

Thanks, just wanting to gear up for Nano this year and I'm feeling really good about this.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought would be woman's lit. As far as suggestions for similar stories, I don't have any. If you're looking for something to read for ideas in how to put things together, you might also want to look at memoirs (but since you're saying fiction that wouldn't work for yours.) Puma

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
It may help you categorize it by considering that mainstream and contemporary are just two different terms for the same classification. I've heard women's fiction defined as the story of a women's journey, so if that applies to your idea, it may be a good fit. If the MC "finds herself" or some such through the process of going through several fathers and their interactions, it may indeed work, otherwise, I'll just call it maintream.

Good luck!

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My advice would be to write it and then see what it actually turns out to be. Ideas can fit many places, but the full tale will usually give you a better clue where to put it.

Good luck on your nano!

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
Thanks guys, And Cathy, thanks for the suggestion! I honestly haven't figured out if I want to do a memoir or fiction, I'm seriously starting to lean on the memoir side of things. I think I'll just write it like one of you suggested and worry about it later :p

Status
Not open for further replies.