Paolini's Pre-emptive Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
so a drooling stupid demon who uses a big stick to kill, cant say die puny human?

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
so a drooling stupid demon who uses a big stick to kill, cant say die puny human?

Of course he can. You can have anyone say whatever you want. The question is, should you? I mean, in a YA fantasy, while I might look at such a line askance, I certainly wouldn't quit reading because of it. On the other hand, it's obviously put me out of the flow of the story if I'm giving it odd glances.

StephenJSweeney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.battleforthesolarsystem.com
Of course he can. You can have anyone say whatever you want. The question is, should you?

I guess if the particular character that utters the line exists purely for comic relief, then I think it could actually be quite funny.

However, I think in the Inheritance trilogy... oops, I mean cash in, oops, I mean cycle, the line is meant to be serious.

matdonna

matushka at large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rafterssriptorium.blogspot.com
I'll try to find the thread with the link, if you are really interested. To me it really doesn't matter--I'm not reading them. Brisngr (which is supposed to be Norse for "fire", although I haven't seen any confirmation) has had "Bestseller" ales already.

There's a beer tie-in? That could make reading a more enjoyable experience....:)

matdonna

matushka at large
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rafterssriptorium.blogspot.com
Of course he can. You can have anyone say whatever you want. The question is, should you? I mean, in a YA fantasy, while I might look at such a line askance, I certainly wouldn't quit reading because of it. On the other hand, it's obviously put me out of the flow of the story if I'm giving it odd glances.

I'm pretty sure there must have been similar lines in Buffy, where the writing is outstanding...proving it's not just the words or the story, it's what you do with them! :)

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a beer tie-in? That could make reading a more enjoyable experience....:)

yeah, I'd have to be drunk to buy and read another one.

(Of course, you know it was supposed to be "sales" and not "ales"--which is significantly less interesting.)

oscuridad

Registered
Reaction score
Paolini is an example of an interesting phenomena - its not what you know its who you know.

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
yea its serious.
he is saying it while dying, he starts after Te'Avalan guts him. but its still serious.
does die puny woman count?

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
How true. His parents were former NRM (cult) members. Church Universal and Triumphant to be more precise:

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/news1/an010723-01.html
http://www.freedomofmind.com/resourcecenter/groups/c/churchtriumph/cutbook.htm
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0966621301/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

They have since defected.

AMC

One of the criticisms in Eldest is that the tree-hugging Vegetarian Atheist hippies that nothing of what they do is wrong while the hero reprehends some people for killing an animal while he applaudes the elves killing a man "because elves loves their trees so much"

And again, in the Fourth book Eragon meets an invisible god and someone actually critizes the elves for being too perfect so seems that Paolini googled himself.

Lccorp2

How are you gentlemen?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lccorp2.livejournal.com
*Shrug* It's better than the time he is in wonder at bacteria in the soil, yet happily kills swathes of the Generic Evil Minions with a thought.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
One of the criticisms in Eldest is that the tree-hugging Vegetarian Atheist hippies that nothing of what they do is wrong while the hero reprehends some people for killing an animal while he applaudes the elves killing a man "because elves loves their trees so much"

Did the man rape a tree or something?

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, this Eragon sounds like a modern day politician.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
No matter how good a young writer may or may not be, they're often limited by their lack of life experience. Paolini could have used that excuse for his first novel, but the others?

Nivarion

Brony level >9000
Registered
Reaction score
hey don't lump all of us young writers as having a lack of experience. i am young and have had a lot of experience.

it is due to the fact that i cant stand more than an hour of video games at a time, so i go and find other things to do.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
hey don't lump all of us young writers as having a lack of experience. i am young and have had a lot of experience.

it is due to the fact that i cant stand more than an hour of video games at a time, so i go and find other things to do.

It's not "lumping". In general, most younger writers do have less experience. You'd have to have a pretty packed life to beat out someone twenty or thirty years older than you(this is the hypothetical "you", by the way). How many jobs have you worked? How many tragedies have you been through? How many places have you gone? How many fields have you done significant work in? Of course, there are plenty of young people with a lot of experience, and older people with very little, but on the average, now that's a different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.