Winter? WINTER???

Saint Fool

Registered
Reaction score
I know that there will be more sunny days in the 70s and this is nothing like the dreary January days when it is 34 degrees with a hard rain all day long; and thank goodness I no longer live in Minnesota where March was a penance for sins I didn't even know I'd committed ....

But the first 55 degree day with Poe-gray clouds and that constant gentle wind that makes it feel like it's 40 is just a pain. Especially when the house is filled with leaf-peepers who I told not to come until next weekend. (and they have a teething baby.) Sheesh.

So how's fall in your area?

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Cloudy, rainy and cold. However, the leaves are very pretty here in the Pacific Northwest. (BTW - Posted pics about fall on my blog.)

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Indian summer has passed for us. It was last week and absolutely gorgeous. But after having experienced two winters without snow, I have a new found appreciation for the loveliness of freshly fallen snow. Much better than dreary brown mud coupled with leafless trees and rain. Austin has it's charms, but winter was not one of them.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
lol - and that's exactly why I've expatriated myself to a more agreeable latitude. Was just talking with a Yupper friend this morning, adamantly maintaining that anything below 85 degrees is frigid!!!
It is freezing. Okay, 85 is cool, below 80 degrees is feezing.
leukz_nl_bewegende_emoticons_super_.gif

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Fall here is different day to day. It could be 20s and a blizzard howling outside (like last week) or it could be in the 60s and sunny--beautiful (like today).

Orginally posted by soothseas
Was just talking with a Yupper friend this morning, adamantly maintaining that anything below 85 degrees is frigid!!!

Anything over 55 degrees is wasted heat!

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
It got close to the thirties last night in our neck of Virginia and we have a freeze warning for tonight. My daughter begged us to turn on the heat. Nope! Just snuggle under the down comforter, honey.

Low sixties during the day means we haven't had the AC on for over a month. I llike the chill and love to have a wood fire. We have a gas fireplace with zero ambiance.

Last edited:

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I've been laid up with a cold all weekend. It's not just that it's cold, but the temperature goes up and down so fast your body can't prepare it's defenses. Luckily I have a reserve of tea at the ready, two bottles of hot sauce, Tiger Balm, and a full large box of Kleenex. Bring it, cold!

I'm a skier so I look forward to winter. Unfortunately this winter finances may be a little tight, so 2 days and nights in Vermont look unlikely.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
Personally some of my fondest childhood memories are of trick or treating in the snow. Buffalo was great for that! Since Summer here was wet and dreary for the most part, I am hoping for a nice, early snow fall this year. If winter disappoints me, I don't know what I'm going to do...

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Move to Southern Florida. :D Anyplace south of Orlando will do. (My sister-in-law lives in Miami and they don't have central heat.)

That sounds so lovely right now...

Today's the first day I haven't been able to open the foyer window in the lobby because it's just too cold. (The outer door is seriously drafty, but weatherstripping it would screw up the security interlock, or so I've been told.) Normally, drafts don't get to me, but when I'm sitting in them for an extended period of time it does get a wee bit chilly...

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Thick, heavy sweaters and thermals. They'll get you through anything, including a Canadian winter. :D

And then I could surprise everyone with the thirty pounds they don't realize I've lost until spring....hmmmm. Yes, yes, it's just crazy enough to work!

realizes that last sentance was a pretty good description of herself, too...