Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Robert D. Reed Publishers / Petersen Publishing Group

practical experience, FTW Atani's Avatar
    In the backwoods, literally...the tiny country town of Blanco, Texas

Robert D. Reed Publishers / Petersen Publishing Group

I didn't see this publisher listed among the threads, and I wanted to comment since I just had a conversation with them. I'm clearly still a novice in this world, but I'm beginning to learn fast what kind of operations to avoid thanks to the experienced people here. A long while back I found this publisher's website, and it seemed pretty interesting. So I sent them my query. Several months later I received a call from Michelle wanting to "talk about my book."

I must mention, that subsequent to my query I did find them listed on the predators & editors site & discovered they are affiliated with Petersen Publishing Group, and are apparently a vanity publisher.

Knowing this, I went into the call interested to find out what they would tell me. After a few moments of polite conversation regarding what my book was about, Michelle proceeded to tell me "how the publishing industry works." Needless to say, her information does not match what the authors here describe.

My warning to anyone looking at this publisher is to run away. They claim it takes $40,000 to launch a book and their authors are asked to pay a "1 time investment" of $15,000 to $20,000, and they get a discount on any reprinting that might need to be done in the future (1 time, huh?). That and the author must do most of his/her own publicity as well. Oh, and of course they will work out payment plans. Now that's the scariest deal I've run across so far. Oh, and I was also informed that they had over 80 years of experience and many authors had left other publishers to come to them because they allow authors to keep such high percentages of their royalties (all books an author sells on their own they keep 100% of).

Somehow I politely told Michelle I was not interested in paying to publish my book, but thanks anyway, and she had the nerve to claim they are not a vanity publisher. Wow, I wonder who can afford to publish with them? Anyway, I wanted to issue a warning for any new, green authors out there who may be very wealthy to run far away from these guys.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Adding link: http://www.rdrpublishers.com/home.html

Link to Petersen: http://www.petersenpublishinggroup.com/

In a quick check of both websites, I couldn't find anything about an affiliation between the two companies, but check this out: the bio for Robert Reed on the Reed website bears a suspicious similarity to the bio for "Robert Daniel" on the Petersen website.

- Victoria

practical experience, FTW Atani's Avatar
    In the backwoods, literally...the tiny country town of Blanco, Texas
    Thank you for that addition. I forgot to include the links. I also just wanted to note that I only learned about the affiliation on the P&E website, where it was mentioned:

"Robert D. Reed Publishers: Not recommended. Appears to be a vanity publisher. Part of the Petersen Publishing Group."

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Considering how many staff they share, when does "affiliate" become "same operation under different name?":

http://www.rdrpublishers.com/about_us.html

http://www.petersenpublishinggroup.com/ourteam.html
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Beta Readers!

Robert D. Reed

Okay, I made sure this time that I checked the other threads as best I could this time cause my last two posts were moved cause they all ready existed. However, this time I'm really stumped. I can't even find him in querytracker.net.
    Robert D. Reed sent me a letter (though I'm positive that it's a form letter, just with the title of my book filled into slots) with a few brochures that have pictures of other books he's published (I'm assuming he's a publisher and not an agent, though I can't recall sending this guy an email or anything, though it is perfectly possible that I did and just can't remember, he might be in the Literary Marketplace. I have an awful memory, though I must have legitimized sending him an email for some reason). He has a website rdrpublishers.com, and it looks legit enough, though I don't if it looks all that professional.
    Can someone help me out here?

Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the University, and the first Borders
    Overpriced vanity. Existing thread here, but not much info. It's not clear whether he's an agent, or a publisher, or publicist--the publishing arm appears to have changed name. But if they want $15,000 for a book, you can see why they might be e-mailing authors more or less at random.
    Speed writing! Untitled Urban Fantasy--256 pages in sixteen days (May 20 through June 4)

As of 8:30 PM EDT, Tuesday June 1:

practical experience, FTW
    Sobel,
    P&E has Robert D Reed in the Publisher listings, with a note of Vanity Publisher, Not Recommended.

The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ireland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobel318 View Post
    Okay, I made sure this time that I checked the other threads as best I could this time cause my last two posts were moved cause they all ready existed.
    The best way to search the threads is to use google. Type the name you are searching in the google search box plus this:

site:absolutewrite.com

To have found this thread, you would have typed:

Robert D. Reed Publisher site:absolutewrite.com

~brianm~
    "This is one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." Sigmund Freud (about the Irish)

"Opera singers have resonance where their brains ought to be." Anna Russell

Quote Originally Posted by brianm View Post
    The best way to search the threads is to use google.
    And for y'all's convenience, there's a custom Google search box at the very bottom of every page.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

Ann Arbor, Michigan. Downtown. Near the University, and the first Borders
    For what it's worth, I found this one in the index thread. The only reason I found it first was because I was having a bout of insomnia and stumbled in here.
    Speed writing! Untitled Urban Fantasy--256 pages in sixteen days (May 20 through June 4)

As of 8:30 PM EDT, Tuesday June 1:

In '10, Peterson launched (and now redirects to) The Author's Workshop: http://www.theauthorsworkshop.com/
    ICAO
    ---------

ICAO
    ---------