Are you putting together a NaNo "soundtrack"?

JustJess

Registered
Reaction score
If so, what's on it? Do you listen while writing or just before? Lyrics or no lyrics?

I need some more ideas for "dark" music.

So far I have:
Bram Stoker's Dracula Soundtrack
Fallen CD by Evanescence
No More Tears by Ozzy Osbourne
Uninvited by Alanis Morissette
Madeline by Tickle Me Pink
I Hate Everything About You by Three Days Grace
Voodoo by Godsmack

Dale Emery

is way off topic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dalehartleyemery.com
In 2006 it was mostly Aerosmith's last six albums.

2007 was the year of Foo Fighters and Pete Droge.

2008 looks like all Todd, all the time. I've stocked my Mac Air with all of his solo albums except Hermit of Mink Hollow (which I'll get soon), and five Utopia albums. I also have an album of Carl Stalling music from Warner Brothers cartoons. Surely I'll need that for something. And maybe some mid 70s Pink Floyd (Animals and Wish You Were Here). And Pete Droge, because I can't go more than a few days without firing up one or two of his albums. Oh, and the new Queen+PR album that comes out the Thursday before NaNo.

I have a ton of great classical stuff, but I usually write in coffee shops, and the background noise makes it impossible to listen to any music that hasn't had the dynamics squashed out of it.

Dale

Last edited:

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I don't have the means to put a soundtrack together so it will be entire albums or nothing. I need some Led Zeppalin and Pink Floyd for the bits where the MC is planning the murder... :rant:
Apologies for spelling, I was never a fan but used to sit through a lot...

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
No lyrics, unless it's turned down enough that I can't make them out.

So far Loreena McKennitt or silence seem to be the choices, but it's fairly unpredictable for me.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I will make a soundtrack as I write the novel. Small piece of distraction from writing, but lots of inspiration for the novel.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually come up with a soundtrack, but I like having a theme song for my WIP. Last year's NaNo song was "The Basket Game" from the Raiders of the Lost Ark soundtrack. Still looking for something for this year.

Hollow

Registered
Reaction score
E.S. Posthumus (albums) Cartographer & Unearthed.
Mythos
Visual Audio Sensory Theater
Muse
Etro Anime
Dahlia

If I had to choose a single song: The Beginning Is The End Is The Beginning (Remix) by The Smashing Pumpkins

Enzo

Registered
Reaction score
Music slows down my writing. If the music's good, I want to listen. If it's bad, of course I want to turn it off.

So no music during NaNo until at least when I'm within sight of the 50K.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
The same stuff I listen to whenever I write...a lot of Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, some AC/DC and Ozzy, Bon Jovi and other various hair bands...and the single Alannis Morissette CD I own.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
The same stuff I listen to whenever I write...a lot of Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, some AC/DC and Ozzy, Bon Jovi and other various hair bands...and the single Alannis Morissette CD I own.

I was with ya right up to Bon Jovi :)

But I have a rather specific playlist this time as music ( or rather the lyrics) play an important role for my MC. He's used to Wagner. Metallica is really going to stir him up lol

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Falling inside the black - skillet, is a great song. That would probably help with the dark theme.

I hadn't thought of a NaNo sound track, but it's a great idea. I'll be doing that now :D

XX

Maine2

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really listen to music to much while I'm writing but I like to listen to Santana's Samba Pa Ti-which is just instrumental, and Jason Mraz's-I'm yours, plus a few other songs with a good beat. This just helps me clear my mind so that I can write.

dwellerofthedeep

Electric Alien Fish Machine
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't made any Playlists for the story I'll be working on for NaNo or anything else in that universe. This reminded me that I could have some fun with it. Thanks.

My ideas: Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest (Especially Beyond the Realms of Death)... Maybe some Butterfly Effect, almost certainly some Dream Theater, possibly some Metallica (Master of the Puppets, incidentally, would be perfect). Hmm... I love me some good old fashioned metal with my daily wordcount.

General Scorch

worst writer EVAR
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just planning on using the playlists I usually use. I have one with a bunch of JPop on it, a few with different moods of video game and movie music, and then one with all of my favorite lyrical songs.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
OMG! No way. I'd never get any writing done. I need total silence, with the exception of football. I find that I'm productive when a football game is playing in the background. Hmm... Maybe I should record one and play it while I'm writing. For me it's like white noise.

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on it. I have The Predatory Wasp of the Palisades was Out to Get Us by Sufjan Stevens (which inspired it) and I'm sort of going from there, finding songs with a similar feel.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I figured out that the big fight scene at the end will use Back In Black by AC/DC as the theme song...

:D