• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Yard Dog Press

ScottAJohnson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.americanhorrorwriter.net
I looked on P&E and Ralan's, but couldn't find any other info about this publisher. According to their website, they're interested in chapbooks (10,000-20,000 words) and have some "names" for authors. I was just curious if anyone's had any business dealings with them.
Thanks

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
ScottAJohnson said:
I looked on P&E and Ralan's, but couldn't find any other info about this publisher. According to their website, they're interested in chapbooks (10,000-20,000 words) and have some "names" for authors. I was just curious if anyone's had any business dealings with them.
Thanks

YDP is very much legit. They're a small press which has a presence at science fiction conventions all over the country, year round.

The editor, Selina Rosen, is a multi-published author. And yes, keltora (aka Laura J. Underwood) has been published by YDP.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I can vouch for YDP. I'm not published by them, but have friends who are, and I've talked with their top dog (so to speak) at a couple of conventions. They're good folks. The material they publish is kind of off the beaten path, but they have a real eye for quality.

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you...it's an interesting company I can say that.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Merging the two threads. PLEASE use the index before starting a new thread! It's likely there is already a topic on the company here.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
For what it's worth since I'm not giving out my real handle I can vouch for YDP too. Selena Rosen's one of my "drinkin' buddies" at conventions. For all that of associating with a scruffy character like myself, she and her whole group are totally on the up and up.

Theirs is a small company with high standards, and dang fun to hang out with!

:PartySmil

JohnB1988

Registered
Reaction score
I just checked their website. Author’s info talks only about wanting Chap-books at less than 20,000 words. But looking at the prices of their available books, few are less than $14. That’s a bit pricy for a novella and it’s hard to think they would sell. Am I missing something? Anyone have any dealings with this company.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
They've published novel-length works. Most everything in the "Perfect Bound" column is not a chapbook. I know one author who has a novel with them.

This is a small press, so prices are going to be a bit higher.

I get the impression, though, that most of their business is in chapbooks. This press isn't for everyone, but I've not heard anything bad against them.

Berry

Registered
Reaction score
Yard Dog Press is a fine small press. Selina has bought three of my short stories for various of her anthologies.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Met these folks at ConDFW this past weekend. They really do put out quite a spread in the Dealer's Room, and get behind their authors from what it looked like. Some of the books had better cover art than others, but overall they looked fairly professional...at least in the bound copies. The chapbooks ran $5 at the table, from what I saw.

They did mention (without me asking, which was odd) that they believed they were signed up with books through 2010...though they directed me to the site to make sure.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I missed out on the panels, but I made it to the parties Saturday night. Did run into Selina a couple of times and talked to several of the Yard Dog authors.

I suspect the reason they told you they were full before you asked is that they get a lot of people asking to sub. Keep a watch on their site and they'll mention when they're open for submissions. They're small, but they don't take on more than they can handle.

They'll be back in the area this fall at FenCon. I'm sure they'll be doing one of their road shows. Always good fun.

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
I suspect the reason they told you they were full before you asked is that they get a lot of people asking to sub.
I just mentioned I was an author...I wasn't particularly looking to submit, but I guess they assumed I was. :)

I noticed they were slated to head to Conestoga (Tulsa) in a few months as well.

B.C. Brown

Registered
Reaction score
Recently approached by an acquisitions editor for this publishing house. Does anyone have any updated information on them? They are looking at my full-length urban fantasy novels. What little I've seen of their stuff, they seem to be rather choosy but like quirk - which my characters have in spades. lol

Any help is appreciated.

All the best and BREAK A PEN!
-BC Brown ~ Paranormal, Mystery, Romance, & Fantasy
"Because Weird is Good."