AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Yard Dog Press

practical experience, FTW ScottAJohnson's Avatar

Yard Dog Press

I looked on P&E and Ralan's, but couldn't find any other info about this publisher. According to their website, they're interested in chapbooks (10,000-20,000 words) and have some "names" for authors. I was just curious if anyone's had any business dealings with them.
    Thanks

From the first incarnation of the board, keltora had a book published by Yard Dog Press but that's all I can find.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    From their SFF.net listing, small but respectable, IMO.

http://webnews.sff.net/read?cmd=xove...press&from=-10
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

They want off beat stuff too. I can do do off beat.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAJohnson
    I looked on P&E and Ralan's, but couldn't find any other info about this publisher. According to their website, they're interested in chapbooks (10,000-20,000 words) and have some "names" for authors. I was just curious if anyone's had any business dealings with them.
    Thanks
    YDP is very much legit. They're a small press which has a presence at science fiction conventions all over the country, year round.

The editor, Selina Rosen, is a multi-published author. And yes, keltora (aka Laura J. Underwood) has been published by YDP.
    Eggplant Literary Productions,
    A small electronic speculative fiction publisher.

practical experience, FTW ScottAJohnson's Avatar
    Drat...Closed to submissions until 2006. They'll be announcing when their next reading period is on their website, at http://www.yarddogpress.com
    Thanks to everyone who replied!

Closed until 2006? bummer. Oh well.

practical experience, FTW

Yard Dog Press

http://yarddogpress.com/ Has anyone here heard or know anything about this company?

I can vouch for YDP. I'm not published by them, but have friends who are, and I've talked with their top dog (so to speak) at a couple of conventions. They're good folks. The material they publish is kind of off the beaten path, but they have a real eye for quality.

practical experience, FTW
    Thanks to both of you...it's an interesting company I can say that.

wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar
    Merging the two threads. PLEASE use the index before starting a new thread! It's likely there is already a topic on the company here.
    I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

Grumpy writer and editor Absolute Sage Gillhoughly's Avatar
    Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha.
    For what it's worth since I'm not giving out my real handle I can vouch for YDP too. Selena Rosen's one of my "drinkin' buddies" at conventions. For all that of associating with a scruffy character like myself, she and her whole group are totally on the up and up.

Theirs is a small company with high standards, and dang fun to hang out with!

practical experience, FTW JohnB1988's Avatar
    I just checked their website. Author’s info talks only about wanting Chap-books at less than 20,000 words. But looking at the prices of their available books, few are less than $14. That’s a bit pricy for a novella and it’s hard to think they would sell. Am I missing something? Anyone have any dealings with this company.

They've published novel-length works. Most everything in the "Perfect Bound" column is not a chapbook. I know one author who has a novel with them.

This is a small press, so prices are going to be a bit higher.

I get the impression, though, that most of their business is in chapbooks. This press isn't for everyone, but I've not heard anything bad against them.

practical experience, FTW Berry's Avatar
    Yard Dog Press is a fine small press. Selina has bought three of my short stories for various of her anthologies.

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment astonwest's Avatar
    Met these folks at ConDFW this past weekend. They really do put out quite a spread in the Dealer's Room, and get behind their authors from what it looked like. Some of the books had better cover art than others, but overall they looked fairly professional...at least in the bound copies. The chapbooks ran $5 at the table, from what I saw.

They did mention (without me asking, which was odd) that they believed they were signed up with books through 2010...though they directed me to the site to make sure.

Big Daddy West
    Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
    I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.

I missed out on the panels, but I made it to the parties Saturday night. Did run into Selina a couple of times and talked to several of the Yard Dog authors.

I suspect the reason they told you they were full before you asked is that they get a lot of people asking to sub. Keep a watch on their site and they'll mention when they're open for submissions. They're small, but they don't take on more than they can handle.

They'll be back in the area this fall at FenCon. I'm sure they'll be doing one of their road shows. Always good fun.

Were you at ConDFW??? Did you happen by our table and I didn't even know it?

Big Daddy West

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieB View Post
    I suspect the reason they told you they were full before you asked is that they get a lot of people asking to sub.
    I just mentioned I was an author...I wasn't particularly looking to submit, but I guess they assumed I was.

I noticed they were slated to head to Conestoga (Tulsa) in a few months as well.

Big Daddy West

Quote Originally Posted by astonwest View Post
    Were you at ConDFW??? Did you happen by our table and I didn't even know it?
    Check your PM.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Recently approached by an acquisitions editor for this publishing house. Does anyone have any updated information on them? They are looking at my full-length urban fantasy novels. What little I've seen of their stuff, they seem to be rather choosy but like quirk - which my characters have in spades. lol

Any help is appreciated.

All the best and BREAK A PEN!
    -BC Brown ~ Paranormal, Mystery, Romance, & Fantasy
    "Because Weird is Good."