Jobs for Part-Time Writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryianna

Registered
Reaction score
Another thing to consider is that many part-time jobs have variable schedules. A lot of writers do best by writing at a set time each day. Working 2pm-10pm one day then 6am-2pm the next may not work out well for some folks. I have some friends that think their part-time job takes more out of them then a full-time. Never knowing when they are going to work, getting called in on their days off, etc. So consider the schedule when you choose your job!

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, but this has to be one of the worst reasons for dropping out of college I've heard. (This is not meant as a nasty comment, but as a friendly shoulder shake.) I trust there are others reasons as well. Also, before you go on this road (giving up on the degree) you probably should already be in the paying writing markets, with a pipeline of projects lined up future submission.

As a dose of reality, if you plan to write while "supervising" students in a substitute teacher job, you may not want to expect to hold onto that job for very long. Responsibilities come with teaching jobs that go beyond passive supervision.

Last edited:

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Just an FYI: Substitute teaching usually requires a teaching degree or certified credits of some sort, especially if they're asking you to fill in for a teacher long-term. You'd be expected to teach the subjects like the regular teacher.

Now, if you mean substituting a day or two when someone is sick, that's different. But in my area, they call you off a list in the morning and hire for the day whoever is first available. It's not guaranteed work, you're dependent on someone not being available.

So, I'm thinking pretty much anything part-time like reception work.
In my state, they are so desperate for teachers they'll take anyone who passes background screening. I checked the state board site and they even will work with people still trying to finish their certifications as long as they have a bachelor's degree you can start work. Even then the writing on the page is vague and leads one to thinking it's open to anyone with some college.

Sorry, but this has to be one of the worst reasons for dropping out of college I've heard. (This is not meant as a nasty comment, but as a friendly shoulder shake.) I trust there are others reasons as well. Also, before you go on this road (giving up on the degree) you probably should already be in the paying writing markets, with a pipeline of projects lined up future submission.

As a dose of reality, if you plan to write while "supervising" students in a substitute teacher job, you may not want to expect to hold onto that job for very long. Responsibilities come with teaching jobs that go beyond passive supervision.
Yeah, I'm not sure if this poster really IS going to quit school, it's rather ambiguous but I'm with you. I know someone, a writer from this site who gave up full time work so he could work on his novel and lives just hand to mouth each week.

I'm sorry, I love writing but I wouldn't starve for it. And you are right, you can't write while doing another job. Unless of course you are a night watchmen or something.

RainyDayNinja

Registered
Reaction score
No, I swear I'm not going to drop out of college or anything like that. In fact, I'm still considering going on to graduate school. It was just idle daydreaming, really. Of course, it's strange that I daydream about being poor, but still...

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a computer scientist. The very large company I work for only requires you to work 20 hours a week to get full time benefits. Flexibility can be a payoff for working in a high-demand field.

A lot of large companies and universities give you benefits starting at or around twenty hours a week. Pretty much any part-time job at such places could be a good job for a writer--kind of a "best of both worlds" situation: lots of time to write, yet you still have a steady job with benefits.

ideagirl

Registered
Reaction score
No, I swear I'm not going to drop out of college or anything like that. In fact, I'm still considering going on to graduate school. It was just idle daydreaming, really. Of course, it's strange that I daydream about being poor, but still...

If you're considering grad school, check out the Chronicle of Higher Education forums--lots of good advice there. People post there all the time looking for advice about grad-school applications.

If you're considering an MFA, also check out the Poets & Writers forums. They have threads on MFA applications and programs.

Phoebe H

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ph-unbalanced.livejournal.com
The other kind of 'part-time' you can do is work that is very seasonal.

Commercial fishing, for instance. I know people who work like hell for six months, and then have six months to do anything they want.

I'm a CPA, and one of the main reasons I got into that was because a writer I knew who did income taxes -- she was working 80 hour weeks Jan-April, and then had a lot of writing time the rest of the year.

There's also the 'remote location' plan. If I didn't have kids, I might have already transferred to our location in Dutch Harbor, AK. No commute, no housing costs, no food costs, and absolutely nowhere to go and nothing to do. Might as well write.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I used to work at a café pre-college and will probably work at one again soon to pay off that debt. The early shift leaves plenty of time to write after work, and later shifts are usually slow enough (in some stores) that you can make notes and think about stories. It's also a great way to meet characters. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.