Do you read out of habit, or pleasure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis J. Smith

Witty User Title.
Registered
Reaction score
I can see how you could call it a habit. Back in elementary school we had the Accelerated Reader program where it was, more or less, a competition to see who could read the most books. And reading was the only thing worth doing as a kid when I went shopping with my mom and she went to one of the many Thrift Stores around here.

And in eleventh grade I always had a book in my hand, as noted by my study hall teacher. Once I really get into a reading sort of mood, it becomes part habit, but the pleasure's always there. School kept me from reading how much I wanted to. I'd start books that I generally enjoyed, such as The Road and then stop because I knew I'd derive more pleasure from it if I could give it more of my attention. For a while, I stopped reading entirely, then I got back to reading starting by re-reading one of the few books I own (I'm very particular about what I own; I'm generally a library person). And re-reading that book was entirely for pleasure.

There is a third reason, though, as people have already stated. To write, you must read. The two go hand in hand.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I read for pleasure. I don't speed read. I read at my pace, which if I'm Beta-ing you - you'll agree that I'm a slow reader.

I like to escape my world and go where ever I'm reading about. It's a vacation from my busybusybusy schedule. Problem is, I can't find time to do more of it.

I've got a ton of books waiting, that I'd love to jump into....but, well...

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Certainly not habit. I read erratically: generally 2-4 books in one week, then nothing for weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.