Exorcising your WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I have a novel that's ready to query, but I think that it might be a little possessed. It seems like every time I work on it, some bad happens in my life. Could be coincidence, but maybe not.

Any ideas to appease the writing spirits?

Has this happeden to anyone else, or am I just a little more strange that I previously thought?

Nicole

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I must admit that's new to me, and I'm always seeing "signs" around me. o_o How strange!

I would think that the mere act of putting effort into a story would be enough to appease the "writing spirits," however one defines that; yet you're already doing that. Maybe you're just not doing it right...? Is there something in the story that you're fighting against, something you want to write one way but all signs seem to point toward it going another way? Or some other sort of place where you might get a vague feeling of it not being "quite right"? You say it's ready to query; is it really? Bad things might be happening when you work on the story because you're not doing it the way it needs to be done, only you just aren't aware of it yet. Any way to take a deeper look and see where something might have derailed or gone wrong...?

Apologies if I'm putting way too much thought into this, I'm pretty strange myself. :eek:

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
The spirits are hungry. Leave your MS open on your computer, place food all around the monitor and close the door. Come back after and hour. All spirits would have been appeased by your offering.

I do it all the time.

(You didn't take that seriously did you?)

Sunshine13

Mom by day, writer by night!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
christacarol.com
Hm, I'm not sure. I haven't encountered this before, then again I AM only just finishing my first novel. I hope not to find myself in this predicament, though I am struggling now the closer I'm getting to the final chapter revision being easily easily easily distracted.

Maybe have a talk with it? Maybe it fears you're abandoning it? Maybe it's not sure what exactly you are planning to do with it now that it's finished, even if you know bit by bit. Or maybe it's a warning. Maybe something in there that needs changed.

Then again, it could just be pure coincidence. Things do tend to happen all at once. When it rains, it pours. And maybe the weather in your life just went sour right at the time you hit a high peak (finishing your book). I'd hope to bet on the latter. :)

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
I dunno about anyone else, but you lot are scaring me.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps you are neglecting other areas of your life by writing and things are going wrong as a consequence? I personally don't believe in "possession" there's usually a far less interesting explanation, IMO.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
There is a tiny part of the manuscript that bugs me a little. Plus maybe I'm just scared to send the thing out. And maybe it's just been a somewhat crappy year for me. Not that a ton of good things haven't happened too.

So maybe I'll comb through it once more, fix the offending bits, and then see how it sits with me.

Nicole

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Don't listen to any of them. This won't stop until you swing a dead cat over your head three times in the graveyard where Mark Twain is buried.

...anyone who gets the reference gets a cookie.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno about anyone else, but you lot are scaring me.

I agree... Lol, :D

Try getting a priest to throw holy water on your computer? (If that's where you write your ms) A bucket load should do it.

:D

XX

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Okay do this:

Before you start writing, feed a crabapple to a small goat, play hopscotch twice, and do three deep knee bends. After you finish, pet a hamster, eat a fig, buy a chocolate bar and drink a glass of red wine. There. You're golden now.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I rewrote the part that was bugging me, and thought I was at peace with it all, then just now, as I was walking to go get smoothies with my coworker, I totally got hexed by a homeless person.

But I asked the smoothie guy what kind of juice warded off hexes and got one of those, so I think I might be okay...

Nicole

Status
Not open for further replies.