Hitting that word count on the money

ascreamingcame

Registered
Reaction score
Any thoughts on word count? One of the biggest challenges to me as a freelancer is balancing out writing for myself (which is always going to be better, and more rewarding) and writing to fit stylistic and technical requirements of mags and journals who will publish me. In a perfect world there'd be a match and I'd get to achieve BOTH, but that's happens so rarely.

Ordinarily I find that essays or stories I've written are too long for freelance journals, so there begins the task of whittling. I think in the end this makes the writing stronger because I have to say my piece in fewer words, but sometimes I feel like I'm trying to wedge a square peg into a round hole.

How have others dealt with this? Do you just self-consciously write as concisely as possible to not get tripped up by word count issues? Do you mercilessly hack your trenchant prose in the hopes of being read?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Any thoughts on word count? One of the biggest challenges to me as a freelancer is balancing out writing for myself (which is always going to be better, and more rewarding) and writing to fit stylistic and technical requirements of mags and journals who will publish me. In a perfect world there'd be a match and I'd get to achieve BOTH, but that's happens so rarely.

I don't write for myself when I'm freelancing. I write to fit the publication.

Ordinarily I find that essays or stories I've written are too long for freelance journals, so there begins the task of whittling. I think in the end this makes the writing stronger because I have to say my piece in fewer words, but sometimes I feel like I'm trying to wedge a square peg into a round hole.

It's a fine balancing act, but usually there is a lot of fat to cut from first draft. You're better off without it.

How have others dealt with this? Do you just self-consciously write as concisely as possible to not get tripped up by word count issues? Do you mercilessly hack your trenchant prose in the hopes of being read?

I'm not sure what kind of freelancing you're writing, but when I'm writing an article I get all the information into it and make sure it's absolutely succinct and at or just below the requested word count. I NEVER GO OVER. If the publisher/editor asks me to go over to cover a point, etc, then I go over.

The important thing, whether you are writing articles or essays, etc...is to follow guidelines...especially if there is a word count guideline.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Usually I can whittle a piece down without too much trouble for my articles. I'll cut things that are nice but not necessary. Only once did I ever find myself unable to bring something down to the requested word count without negatively impacting the piece. It was a sidebar and I cut it and cut it some more till there was literally no chaff left. I ended up just sending it even tho' it was over and telling the editor the truth. I dunno what will ultimately happen because the editor bought it then left the pub. I was paid but it hasn't seen the light of day yet and no word on when/if it will...sigh.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
KTC Says: I don't write for myself when I'm freelancing. I write to fit the publication.

Ditto. :) Long ago in my career, I got over the mindset that my words are "precious." After years of practice, my first draft can usually hit within 200 words of the desired word count, and then I whittle down when necessary. Sometimes I find it hard to cover all the key points in shorter pieces (say, when you have 6 recommended interview subjects and 1,200 words). I'll always let the editor know that I feel like I skipped a few key points and would be happy to expand if they have the space. A few times, I've provided a sidebar, which was appreciated and worked well.

In one recent instance, it was a Q&A interview and I absolutely could NOT bring myself to cut the one question that would put it at the right word count. I explained to the editor, highlighted the question, and she said if she had the space she'd leave it in. I really appreciated that extra step she took/allowed, because I feel like the answer was relevant to the readers and, while they could have lived without it, I didn't want them to have to.

I think the editor managed to fit it, but I'd have to compare drafts to know for sure.

Typically, when the words are cut, they are gone and I don't mourn their passing at all. :)

ascreamingcame

Registered
Reaction score
KTC Says: I don't write for myself when I'm freelancing. I write to fit the publication....

Great advice, guys. I guess I should have specified, though, that I primarily do the kind of freelancing where I get an idea, write something (an essay or review or story) and then query various journals about it, rather than writing on assignment or anything like that. So since the idea comes from me in the first place it can be hard to find a match -- for example, I might think a literary essay would fit great in "Agni" or something but it winds up being 1,000 words too long for their critical format requirements. This happens to me a lot, because I don't really think about matching up writing pieces with particular publications before I write.

But, maybe that's not technically "freelancing"?

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really think about matching up writing pieces with particular publications before I write.

Sounds like that's your problem. Either write FOR publications, or get used to the idea of chopping your babies up. I am brutal when it comes to chopping words and altering articles to fit an editor's needs. This is the job, and they are the client, so I better please them.

treehugger

Registered
Reaction score
If I'm going way over my word count, the problem usually is that I'm trying to cover too broad a subject and cram too much info into a tiny article. So then instead of writing a piece on, say, "Mammals" I would instead narrow it down to "Cats" or "Porcupines" or "Mammals with Big Ears." So I would suggest re-examining what exactly it is you want to address in your essay or article. Do you really need to address subtopics X, Y, and Z? Could you angle the piece to have a narrower focus?

With enough effort, most topics can be summarized in one sentence or expanded into a 500,000 word tome. If you're writing for publication, you gotta submit to whatever requirements the publication demands, and sometimes that means shoving a square peg in a round hole. Which is frustrating, but then if they accept the piece, you get to be published and paid and you can get your writing into the hands of readers. The alternative is printing up your own zine or making a blog... and possibly recieving little to no readership or money for your efforts. Words are not rare and precious gems. If you have to get rid of some, you can always make more later.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
I write, then edit my piece down until it fits the word count. By then, it's usually leaner and meaner, but sometimes, there's so much more to tell.

ascreamingcame

Registered
Reaction score
If you're writing for publication, you gotta submit to whatever requirements the publication demands, and sometimes that means shoving a square peg in a round hole. Which is frustrating, but then if they accept the piece, you get to be published and paid and you can get your writing into the hands of readers.

True, true...readership is a large plus and slicing a few adverbs is a small price to pay for it.

One thing I've noticed is that there are SOME consistent article requirements within specific disciplines (I write a lot about film so most of my knowledge is in that publication realm), so you can kinda know that if you want to write a straight-ahead review you're probably looking at 1200-1500 words, versus a broader essay of, say 2500-3000 words. So that's also helpful, though still challenging if you have a lot (or not enough) to say. But then, if you can't express yourself in a specific amount of space maybe you shouldn't be writing...

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I write and then edit. Sometimes what works for me is knowing what range editors are looking for. So far, that's what I've encountered.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
So then instead of writing a piece on, say, "Mammals" I would instead narrow it down to "Cats" or "Porcupines" or "Mammals with Big Ears." So I would suggest re-examining what exactly it is you want to address in your essay or article. Do you really need to address subtopics X, Y, and Z? Could you angle the piece to have a narrower focus?
Excellent advice. I recently ran into this on an assigned interview piece. There were so many approaches I could have taken and I ended up leaving so much out. Finally I had to focus on just one theme and exclude the others...I think it came out good but there were other focuses I could have taken so it was hard to choose.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Great advice, guys. I guess I should have specified, though, that I primarily do the kind of freelancing where I get an idea, write something (an essay or review or story) and then query various journals about it, rather than writing on assignment or anything like that. So since the idea comes from me in the first place it can be hard to find a match -- for example, I might think a literary essay would fit great in "Agni" or something but it winds up being 1,000 words too long for their critical format requirements. This happens to me a lot, because I don't really think about matching up writing pieces with particular publications before I write.

But, maybe that's not technically "freelancing"?

Yes, when you mentioned 'essay' I had the feeling you were leaning in that direction. I do this a lot too. I've had essays in our national newspaper and on Canada's equivalent to NPR. Again, with things like this, there is always word counts posted. I think when you write in advance of researching your target market, you will usually find yourself over their word count...or at least I do. It is a call you have to make. Can you distill the piece down to the word count and still deliver the same punch? Can you find a different publisher with a higher word count? Over the years, I guess I have subconsciously become aware of the ballpark word count that most publications look for with personal essays. I would say it's somewhere between 800 and 1,500 words. That's a huge difference if you write 1,400 words and you want to get it published in a journal/paper that accepts 800 words. You have to decide if you want it and if you can do your piece justice by cutting it nearly in half.

My only advice is to go into it with a general idea of where you want to place your piece. Write to the word count.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
I've really enjoyed reading this thread because it underscores something I've had to learn. Writing tight is a skill and for me it's come with experience.

I look at it as a challenge - to express my ideas within the confines of editorial guidelines without sacrificing valid content. It's not easy.

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Nancy - you're absolutely right. Blogging has helped me write concisely without the junk. Reminds me of an english professor I once had. He actually gave the students a list of words that we don't need in our writing. I wish I could find it so I can put it in my writing desk. :)