The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Truth Magazine

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

The Truth Magazine

http://www.thetruthmagazine.com

I checked this site out and they don't pay. They want you to help them build a magazine. Give me a break!

Moderator In Name Only AW Moderator Roger J Carlson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NikkiCarlyle
    http://www.thetruthmagazine.com

I checked this site out and they don't pay. They want you to help them build a magazine. Give me a break!
    Apparently they don't pay for web site design either.
    --Roger J. Carlson

Omigod, How awful!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger J Carlson
    Apparently they don't pay for web site design either.
    HA HA HA

From their website:

All contents of this website are copyrighted by The Truth Magazine or it's authors.
    Someone get them an editor stat!

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B
    Someone get them an editor stat!
    Beep... beep... beep... flatline!

They also have text that says "The best new fiction straight from our writer's hearts..." Does that mean there's only one of them?

But then, I don't hold out much hope for a site that whines "There must be an alternative to the formulaic literature being produced nowadays." Often, that translates to a couple of possibilities:

1) Waah, I can't write interesting stories, so I will convince myself that people who can write them must be hacks.

and

2) Waah, I hate stories with (ewwww) plots. I want to read and support really cool hip stuff with experimental writing techniques, no plots, and characters nobody can relate to. That's odd. Why doesn't anyone want to pay for my magazine?
    Last edited by AnneMarble; 05-02-2005 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Because I can't spel either
    THE Official FreakTM
    That's not me in my avatar. That's Papa Emeritus II and the Nameless Ghouls of Ghost
    -- AARlist2, my romance reader discussion group
    Dubbed "Cool Thread Starter Girl" by JeanneTGC

Maybe the design is a, um, statement on... jeez.

No, it's just awful.

Random capitalizations, misused apostrophes, missing punctuation.

They seem to be pretty honest about the whole "not paying anything" thing, even if it does take the site owner three sentences under "What We Pay" to get to it.

The big 'red flag' for me is that there doesn't seem to be any advertising going on -- how is anyone going to find this magazine? And how does the site owner plan on getting any money for it or to build any kind of readership?

If it were a forum to display works for publicity or prestige (or, heck, just to showcase personal works or friends' works), I could see potential, but as a commercial venture, I don't see much future for it.
    #

Nothing’s inherently wrong with telling; nothing’s inherently wrong with showing. . . .
    When Picasso paints a canvas using only blue, you can still tell that he knows what he’s doing with color. When I paint a canvas using only blue, you will be quite certain from the result that it’s because I have no clue what to do with red or yellow—and you won’t be too sure I’ve got a grip on blue, either. Learn all the colors; then choose whichever seems right at the moment. Master the whole craft. ~ Keith Snyder

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Still non-paying, but they've cleaned up their act site considerably.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Site's down ... the last Google cache (12/30) has it reading
    Hey all, having some issues with the mag right now, so we are taking a break and will be returning for the May issue. Look for it May 1st!

-The Eds
    We'll see if it returns.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

It did not.
    ICAO
    ---------