For full-timers....where do you find the bulk of your work?

jasperd

Registered
Reaction score
Not actual sources but print or online? Do you write articles, copywriting, blogs, etc.?

Last edited:

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I find the bulk of my work online. It is a mix of articles and blogging with a bit of copywriting thrown in for good measure. I have been published in print, but it has been less time consuming to work online while the kids are out of school.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Good question. You made me realize something. I write for both print and online, and my income is pretty evenly split between them. But while the income is roughly the same, the pay per assignment is generally lower. I might do better to pursue higher-paying print opportunities, but I'm really starting to like my online gigs better.

ltd.

Laurie PK

Fulltime blogger & freelance writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theadventurouswriter.com
I'd say the bulk of mine is online -- I LOVE writing for MSN Health, they're my current #1 favorite all star client :) -- but writing for print magazines is a close second. I don't do anything else. Except for blogging, which I don't count as "work."

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Print magazines make up the bulk of my work and income. Like ltd., the pay per word/project/hour is much better for print work. But I enjoy my online work and almost consider it "filler income." I enjoy it and it's easy to squeeze in the time to do it.

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
I guess you could say mine's "print", though not the type of printing I'd like! Most of my work actually comes from the corporate world - writing white papers and reports and that sort of thing. But I am slowly making my way into the newspaper and magazine world.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
Print magazines make up the bulk of my work and income. Like ltd., the pay per word/project/hour is much better for print work.
Whoops. I meant to say that the pay per word/assignment in my *print* work is lower than my online work.

Which is probably one reason I'm beginning to like online work better. ;)

ltd.

zenwriter

Registered
Reaction score
I do a lot of writing for businesses -- copy, web sites, press releases -- both for online and print materials. I find that businesses pay much more per hour and pay faster than publications. Having said that, though, I really like seeing my name in a byline. I try to fit in that sort of writing when I can.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Ltd, Wow! That dispells one very common myth. (That print pays better than Web.)

I typed mine correctly... my print pubs pay more than my online work, but I can turn around online work faster usually. And it pays faster, too.

Man, I'd love to blog about all these cool topics, but no time. Print deadlines. :(

Dawn