character lists with descriptions

Judsia

Registered
Reaction score
Quick question - do you include characters that appear in one scene only and will never be seen from again?

MrJayVee

Pro scribe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theworkingscreenwriter.blogspot.com
To include or not...

Are you writing a feature screenplay? If so, you don't really need to write up a list of characters. But if you're writing a sitcom or something for TV, then sure, include the list. And yes, you'd include every character that has a speaking part.

Judsia

Registered
Reaction score
Are you writing a feature screenplay? If so, you don't really need to write up a list of characters. But if you're writing a sitcom or something for TV, then sure, include the list. And yes, you'd include every character that has a speaking part.
Thanks, I thought so too, but wanted to be sure. And yes, it is for TV. :)

ManyAk

Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend not to do so. That is an easy and cheap way of writing a story. Let me explain :

Some people will include characters that are only there in order to help their main character. So for example, their main character is in jail and obviously, the plot can't go on until he's out of there. Instead of finding a clever and interesting way of getting him out, they decide to include a character that saves the day. Later on in the story, when the character is in trouble again, the same other character comes and save the day, again.

To me, that way of evolving a story is ridiculous and cheap. You have more imagination than you think, so use it.

Judsia

Registered
Reaction score
I'd recommend not to do so. That is an easy and cheap way of writing a story. Let me explain :

Some people will include characters that are only there in order to help their main character. So for example, their main character is in jail and obviously, the plot can't go on until he's out of there. Instead of finding a clever and interesting way of getting him out, they decide to include a character that saves the day. Later on in the story, when the character is in trouble again, the same other character comes and save the day, again.

To me, that way of evolving a story is ridiculous and cheap. You have more imagination than you think, so use it.

The TV script is already written. The contest I entered required a character list. I'm not sure what you are responding to here.

ManyAk

Registered
Reaction score
The TV script is already written. The contest I entered required a character list. I'm not sure what you are responding to here.

I misunderstood your question, my mistake.