Talk about feast or famine... I made $12,000 in one month!!!

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Last time I posted, I'd been unemployed for eight months and was severely depressed, doubting my ability and - well, I was wallowing in (deserved, I think) self-pity. I was two weeks away from being evicted.

I thought, "Okay, lots of crap has happened this year - so what actions am I going to take to get out of this rut?"

And wouldn't you know... A man I've known for years, one of the top sustainable planning consultants in the world (really), hired me to bring more evocative language into his plans (and other writing-related things)

Suddenly, I was (am) on four projects and working nearly around the clock. At $75/hour (before 30% tax), I billed $12,000 between August 15th and September 18th. I have no expectation of being able to continue this income (only a hope :) ).

The points, aside from 1) bragging and 2) reiterating "you never know what's around the corner," is that my writing is highly specialized and incorporates every other skill I have (environmental research, community psychology, theatre). There are approximately 500 applied/strategic storytellers in the world, and as far as we know, I'm the first to work specifically in sustainable community development. While we all grasp at whatever writing will pay, the more of a niche you have, the more full-time or contract opportunities you'll have. This is my second time working full-time in a creative writing position. The other one paid $67K + benefits.

I'm not editing my WNIP or my short stories and essays... but if he continues to contract me, I'll be able to make enough in three days a week to spend two days writing. And spending more time on AW :D

W00t!!

Sarah

p.s. I've always wanted to beat Chris ;)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, baby!

Well done!

CoffeeBound

Registered
Reaction score
Lol, $12K in a month? And Chris isn't the poster? Looks like the gravy train is spreading! Congratulations on your good fortune (and hard work).

Send some "big payday" vibes my way, if you can. ;)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure... but I think I may hate you. (kidding)

CONGRATS! May the good vibes stick with you, and may they spread some, too!

Actually, that sounds like a COOL niche. Where can I learn more about sustainable communities? It's something my husband and I have been working on.

Cindyh2k

Registered
Reaction score
AWESOME! When I grow up, I wanna be like Firehorse!! Congratulations!!!!

Cindy

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Congrats! That is phenomenal and inspirational. :) (I too am glad to hear this news from someone other than Chris... although I'm still striving to beat their income!!)

I agree about the niche thing, too... the smaller the niche, the better you can do, potentially, especially if you're good! But, if you don't have a small niche, I believe *multiple* niches are the way to get more income.

Congrats again!

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! And for those who hate me, I know you mean it in the good way ;)

I wrote a reply yesterday, one with detailed responses to several people. The Ghost Mod must've eaten it. The Infoweb was hungry, I guess (Gmail ate two drafts of a long, detailed work message. Mercury Retrograde sucks.)

When I have time to organize the information - which may not be for another few weeks - I'll definitely post about both 'applied storytelling' and how we're working it in with sustainable community development. Everyone approaches the former differently, and we're in the middle of the pilot project. Even fully conscious, I have trouble explaining it. Right now, I'm so exhausted I can barely type the words.

G'nite....zzzzzz....

Sarah