• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Display site] Authonomy / Inkpop

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Email from Authonomy today touting CreateSpace, CreateSpace, CreateSpace, setting up your own publishing house and incidentally, also CreateSpace. :rolleyes:

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Where is the outrage with Harper Collins???

OK, as many here know, Harper Collins runs a website called Authonomy. The idea was a giant slush pile where others members comment on your submitted work. Work that reached the top five in recommendations each month were supposed to be judged/reviewed by HC editors and there was an implied hint that this could even lead to a HC contract. In fact a couple of Authonomy members have been offered HC contracts.

When I first found the site, I was intrigued by the notion of a reputable Publisher's editor possibly reviewing my work, and this is something I had wanted for a long time, a professional opinion. Sadly I quickly learned the site is nothing more than a popularity contest of giving and receiving reviews in kind. Of course I did get some great reviews from readers that took the time, but those were far and few between.

I have since pulled my work from the site, but still visit from time to time just to review and read the threads. When I joined, I also signed up for the newletter from Authonomy and I am noticing a disturbing trend in these news letters.

HC has partnered somehow with CreateSpace. Lately, the newletters are more of a push, or advertising for CreateSpace, inviting those who did not get selected by HC to try CreateSpace. They suggest you go this route to build an audience, and then resubmit to HC. The latest newsletter even gives examples of writers who have gone from SP to Commercially published. They even list Christopher Palloni as an example of success. Palloni went with CreateSpace? Good God, he is such a poor example, but like all POD operations, they place him as the perfect example.

And this got me thinking.

With all the outrage from writers and writer organizations directed at Harlequin Romance for their self-publishing venture, why is no one jumping on HC about their association with CreateSpace? Am I missing something here? Is HC too big to touch? Is it because they do not expressly point rejected queries to CreateSpace as Harlequin is doing? It seems to me HC is testing the waters and no one seems to be objecting to their association with CreateSpace, because they do not own CreateSpace. But then HR is in bed with Author Solutions and they do not own AS. So, am I making too much of this or missing a point?

Any thoughts?

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
When I joined, I also signed up for the newletter from Authonomy and I am noticing a disturbing trend in these news letters.

HC has partnered somehow with CreateSpace. Lately, the newletters are more of a push, or advertising for CreateSpace, inviting those who did not get selected by HC to try CreateSpace. They suggest you go this route to build an audience, and then resubmit to HC. The latest newsletter even gives examples of writers who have gone from SP to Commercially published. They even list Christopher Palloni as an example of success. Palloni went with CreateSpace? Good God, he is such a poor example, but like all POD operations, they place him as the perfect example.

And this got me thinking.

With all the outrage from writers and writer organizations directed at Harlequin Romance for their self-publishing venture, why is no one jumping on HC about their association with CreateSpace?

I also received the latest newsletter, and I'm every bit as horrified as I am by Harlequin and Thomas Nelson. The newsletter was a classic example of self-publishing promotion at its worst - it's incredibly misleading. Take this headline from the newsletter: apparently Christopher Paolini "used print-on-demand to reduce early financial risk". Because as we all know, when Paolini bought boxes of his own books to take to signings, that reduced his financial risk. :rolleyes:

I assume that HarperCollins are getting paid by CreateSpace for this shameless advertising. What angers me is that Authonomy presents itself as a place for writers who aspire to real publication, and yet makes these grabs for their money. Poor aspiring writers.

I'll copy and paste the newsletter below for the interested:

Greetings authonomists,

Are you trying to break into the world of publishing but finding it hard to get your foot in the door? You're not alone. But with the book industry beginning to change its attitude towards DIY publishing, there are more reasons than ever to consider taking matters into your own hands. On the blogthis week we've profiled four stars changing the book world through sheer self-determination.

1. The Determined authonomist; how a HarperCollins' author used self publishing to build a proven readership
Debut author
Steven Dunne decided to self publish his book The Reaper himself back in 2008. After successfully selling 2000 copies he put his manuscript onto authonomy.com.

Find out why a HarperCollins editor picked up Steven's novel and offered him a contract.

2. The Teen Inspiration; best seller used print-on-demand to reduce early financial risk
Christopher Paolini, started work on his manuscript for a fantasy novel at just fifteen years old and now Eragon has made it into the New York Times best seller list and to the big screen in 2006.

Find out how he did it.

3. The Timely Author; speed to market is vital to capture the zeitgeist
Author and entrepreneur Jill Keto started work on her book,
Don't Get Caught With Your Skirt Down: A Practical Girl's Recession Guide, back in May 2008, with the aim of giving timely tips and advice to help women through the recession.

Find out how she used CreateSpace to self-publish, getting her book on sale through Amazon.com just four short months later and catching the attention of a major publisher.

4. The Plucky Publisher; new DIY publishing house gives creative control to authors
In 2009, Sarah Jane Heckscher-Marquis set up her own publishing business,
DIIARTS, with the belief that the author should have complete creative control over their own work.

Read more about Sarah Jane's motivation to do-it-herself.

So whatever your talent: writer, editor or publisher, maybe it's time to think about how you can take the reins of your own publishing career. To read the whole article, check out the authonomy blog, or check out our partner, CreateSpace, who offers tools and services to help you self-publish, build readership, and sell your book. Learn more.
Let's count the myths:

1. Self-publishing is the best option for authors who can't break into trade publishing.
  2. The book industry is changing its attitude toward "DIY" publishing - for the better, it's implied. (Certain elements of the book industry are changing their attitudes toward taking aspiring author's money, that's for sure.)
  3. Self-publishing builds readership.
  4. Print-on-demand reduces financial risk.
  5. Speed of publication is good because it lets you "capture the zeitgeist", not bad because it skips numerous essential steps.
  6. Lack of editing is "complete creative control".
  7. Self-publishing is "tak[ing] the reins of your own publishing career".
Anyone spot any others? :rolleyes:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
With all the outrage from writers and writer organizations directed at Harlequin Romance for their self-publishing venture, why is no one jumping on HC about their association with CreateSpace? Am I missing something here? Is HC too big to touch? Is it because they do not expressly point rejected queries to CreateSpace as Harlequin is doing? It seems to me HC is testing the waters and no one seems to be objecting to their association with CreateSpace, because they do not own CreateSpace. But then HR is in bed with Author Solutions and they do not own AS. So, am I making too much of this or missing a point?

Any thoughts?

My thought is that HC isn't primarly a Romance publisher, thus under the watchful eye of 10K women who often feel persecuted for writing Romance, which Harlequin is.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that no one's raised a cry about it yet.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Parametic,

Yes, that is the newsletter that pushed me over the top with all its pandering to DIY and the typical unrealistic facts vanity publishing promotes...

I felt dirty in reading it, like HC is whoring themselves for a few extra bucks while all along I though of HC as the high class society girl I wanted to bring home to meet the parents. (PS Before I start getting bashed by whores...I have nothing against whores so long as they don't try to pretend to be something they are not. Hell, most writers are whores these days with all the self promotion they have to do.) I feel so used....

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Couple of questions:

1) When did that newsletter come out?
2) Who were the recipients of that newsletter?

There may not have been an outcry because if it's aimed at Authonomy contributors, probably very few actual published authors have heard about this situation.

But, believe me, people have been saying Authonomy is not a good idea (or at least, questionable) for quiet a while.

Could you send Victoria a copy of that newsletter?

Also, this is likely to get much more response up in B&BC than it will here.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
There was and has been ongoing outrage but it built up more incrimentally rather than the sudden emergence and sudden respose to HaHo. Try the Authonomy thread on AW for some of the flavor of it.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Couple of questions:

1) When did that newsletter come out?
2) Who were the recipients of that newsletter?

There may not have been an outcry because if it's aimed at Authonomy contributors, probably very few actual published authors have heard about this situation.

1) I received it on the 26th.
2) I assume that it went out to everyone registered with Authonomy. I registered a while back out of curiosity, but never went any further. I've made at least three attempts to unsubscribe from these stupid newsletters, but it never lets me. So I guess I'm stuck getting spammed by HarperCollins from now on.

Could you send Victoria a copy of that newsletter?

Also, this is likely to get much more response up in B&BC than it will here.

I posted on the B&BC thread to no response before this thread was started. Perhaps I should have been more detailed. I'll definitely forward Victoria a copy. (edit: Sent.)

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
If the mods want to move this or join it with another thread...you have my blessings.

I got to go shower, I feel so used...

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Threads merged.

I expect there's little reaction because it was obvious from the outset where Authonomy was headed. Now, if HC is sending this spiel to folks it rejects, like HQ is/was with Horizons, then it would incur the same outrage.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Cao Paux...

I suspect that I am over reacting to what I already suspected, but in getting these newletters worded in such a way that it sounds like HC is condoning this practice, well that just pushed my hot topic buttons...

Care on...

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Yet another spam email from HarperCollins shilling CreateSpace. (I've tried to unsubscribe numerous times to no effect.) Today's offer: take up one of CreateSpace's "Total Design Freedom Solutions", ranging from $758 to $4999, and get 20 complimentary copies. I make that between $38 and $250 a book. :rolleyes:

Special Offer from CreateSpace

Thinking about self-publishing your work? Our partner CreateSpace is offering you 20 complimentary copies of your book* when you sign up to publish with one of their Total Design Freedom publishing solutions by the end of this month.

With this offer, you get to work with a professional design team to create the perfect look for your book - inside and out. Visit the CreateSpace Interactive Design Center to see first hand the benefits of Total Design Freedom.

At authonomy we've often maintained that self-publishing can be a great way to get your publishing career moving forward, whether you aspire to commercial success through self-publishing or ultimately a mainstream publishing deal.

Contact CreateSpace today to learn more about the advantages of self-publishing - and to lock in your 20 complimentary copies by March 31, 2010.*

Best wishes,
The authonomy team

*After you purchase your Total Design Freedom publishing solution, CreateSpace will provide you a discount code that you can use to redeem your 20 complimentary copies once your book is complete. With this promotion, you will have to pay the costs associated with having these complimentary copies of your book shipped to you. This discount code is valid for your book orders placed through March 15, 2012. CreateSpace reserves the right, in our sole discretion, to terminate or modify this promotion at any time.

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
In a way that's kind of funny, but I understand that the money from sales of Atlanta Nights goes to a good cause so it really isn't funny.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald:
Some goombah is plagiarizing Atlanta Nights at Authonomy.

So ... when are you expecting your contract with Harper Collins then?

MM

Shawshank

Registered
Reaction score
I apologize for plagiarizing Atlanta Nights

I did it. I'm the goombah and I am sorry. I thought that it, being a free download, was part of the public domain. My reason for doing it was to prove how ridiculous Authonomy truly is. I put the worse writing in history (Funny as hell, though) on Authonomy under a fictitious name (actually, I used Travis Tea) with a picture of a hillbilly. I renamed the book Savana Knights. I wrote a terrible pitch, misspelling nearly all the words. I did everything I could not to succeed. Would you believe nearly thirty people backed it?! I also received a few positive comments praising me for my writing ability. To Mr. Macdonald, I am truly sorry and took it down as soon as I realized who you were and what I had done. By the way, I spent all of last night reading Atlanta Nights and laughed my butt off! Still, it shows Authonomy for the sham it is. I have a novel posted there, but I am considering taking it down.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote a terrible pitch, misspelling nearly all the words. I did everything I could not to succeed. Would you believe nearly thirty people backed it?! I also received a few positive comments praising me for my writing ability.

I noticed those. Kind of horrifying. :eek:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with authonomy is that it's a giant popularity contest, nothing more.

I was interested when it first launched, but as with all such things it lost it's appeal once I realised how it really functioned

M.R.J. Le Blanc

aka Sadistic Mistress Mi-chan
Registered
Reaction score
Display sites always turn into popularity contests, even if they're not started on such a premise. That's the nature of the beast no matter who backs it. And really, I think they stem from the whole 'entitlement' issue and the far-out idea that it should be readers deciding what gets published and not editors or agents. Places like this are a nice example of just what exactly that would mean for readers. I think the only good they really serve is to maybe get all those 'readers should decide' folks to have a little more appreciation for what editors and agents see a lot of. Unpublishable work.

Shawshank

Registered
Reaction score
Authonomy...Atlanta Nights

Hey, no hard feelings.

But couldn't you come up with your own unreadable novel over a weekend? That's what we did....

I could have written "Mary had a litlle lamb" twenty times and "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" a couple hundred more and still received comments about my "genius" and "skill with the written word," all followed by "BACKED...Care to look at mine?"
And, truly, Atlanta Nights is pure genius. The read is fabulous. The images it puts in one's mind are better than most comedy films. You have a great skill with the written word...BACKED!
CARE TO TAKE A LOOK AT MINE?