The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Mayhaven Publishing

smart enough to know better

Question Mayhaven Publishing

Anyone know anything about them? I stumbled across the website today. There are no threads here, as far as I can see.

DP

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    If you go to Sales Rank Express and type in Mayhaven for the publisher, you'll find some 111 books listed on Amazon. All are ranked 100,000 and above, and most are ranked over a million, which is not so good.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    They offer "co-op" publishing for at least some of their books.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Worth View Post
    If you go to Sales Rank Express and type in Mayhaven for the publisher, you'll find some 111 books listed on Amazon. All are ranked 100,000 and above, and most are ranked over a million, which is not so good.
    Sorry, but how is it not good? I've never used Sales Rank Express before. Is 100,000 the number of views? In which case, how does that compare to other books, because that sounds pretty good to me.

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    The higher the sales rank, the fewer the sales. #1 is the best selling book. Anything over 50,000 is selling something like less than one a week. Anything over a million is selling little if at all over the last months to a year.
    Last edited by veinglory; 09-18-2008 at 08:08 PM.
    Emily Veinglory

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales Absolute Sage Susan Gable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Topaz044 View Post
    Sorry, but how is it not good? I've never used Sales Rank Express before. Is 100,000 the number of views? In which case, how does that compare to other books, because that sounds pretty good to me.
    At Amazon, the lower the number, the better you're doing. (think of it this way -- you want to be number 1. <G>)

Susan G.
    Susan Gable www.susangable.com
    As Good As His Word
    May 2011 - Harlequin Superromance
    The Family Plan - July 2010 Superromance

Your online computer-fixer-upper:
    www.PCWebDoc.com
    Fixing computers via the internet!

smart enough to know better
    Re: Amazon rankings, the amazon.com sales rankings are only for those books sold via Amazon. They don't account for total sales from other websites or brick and mortar bookstores.

Re: Mayhaven, when I first looked at the site, it mentioned co-publishing. On the second visit, I didn't see it. Some of my writer friends had asked me about the company. I had never heard of them. Thanks for the feedback.

DP

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    http://www.mayhavenpublishing.com/Pages/D%20Wenzel.html

Are you a traditional publisher?

If you mean do we pay royalties and store and market the books, yes we do. Mayhaven is small and we are limited in the number of titles we publish in any given year. If we are committed in a category, we do publish some books through our co-op option. Through the co-op, there is a charge for the first printing, but the author receives greater royalties and is not responsible for subsequent printings, for which they continue to receive traditional royalties. This allows us to publish a few more worthy titles. The criteria for any book is the same, though. We also edit and layout a few books for private publishing, but very few.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Mayhaven contract Offer

I was offered a contract by Mayhaven Publishing for a children's picture book manuscript I submitted. It required me to pay them $14,000 for a softcover or $16,000 for a hardcover.

A Gentleman of a refined age... thothguard51's Avatar
    That is outrageous...
    Knowledge is learned while wisdom is earned.

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
    Book 1, A Game of Pawns
    Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
    Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
    Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
    Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Bookjerry, would you contact me, either with a PM here or at beware@sfwa.org ? Thanks.

- Victoria