Please Don't Let Me Become An Old Jerk Woman!

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Sorry, I just need to vent.:rant:

As some of you know, I work at a grocery store as a cashier and I've come to the conclusion.....the public sucks! I swear I'll commit suicide if I turn into some of these women I wait on. I tell my daughter to just hit me if I turn into this bitchy old broad. Older and middle aged women are the worse! Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch and that's all they seem to do.

Maybe it's just at my store, but 99% of the whiners and problem people are women somewhere between their middle 40's and late 60's. I've never dealt with such a nasty & rude group of people in my life. Lately I'll have at least 20 in an 8hr. shift and they're enough to almost ruin your day. They are lucky I've got a sense of humor and don't tell them what I really think.

A sewer line busted in the parking lot today and filled the air outside with a wonderful aroma. This lady is checking out literally screaming at me that the parking lot stinks and it's making her shopping experience bad. I apologize. Of course her bottle of wine scans a dollar more than it really is, so she really lets me have it. Finally I'm done, and I smile through gritted teeth and wish her a happy day.

She is still screaming saying "Don't you want to say something else to me?" I ask her what would she like me to say, because she really doesn't want to hear what I want to say. Then she proceeds to yell at me and tell me I should apologize to her more sincerely about having to breathe the sewer air outside and the wine having a wrong price on it. It's my responsibility to know all the prices and allow her leave happy. She actually tells me my first apology wasn't good enough for her and she wants more.

I look at her stunned. The next lady in line is about seventy and proceeds to tell the woman to go home, she's giving older woman a bad rep. I wanted to kiss her. I told the woman I'd hire her as my bodyguard against all the bitching woman I've waited on lately.

Ok, now I feel better. I pray to whoever is in charge of things....don't let me catch the older woman jerk plague. And how was your day?:D

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Joyce, just being aware of the problem tells me you will never do that. You have to realize these women were bitchy complainers in their youth before they became bitchy old complainers. Only in their youth they were probably a little better looking and were excused for their rude and immature behavior.

Richard

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Joyce, just being aware of the problem tells me you will never do that. You have to realize these women were bitchy complainers in their youth before they became bitchy old complainers. Only in their youth they were probably a little better looking and were excused for their rude and immature behavior.

Richard

What Richard said. Can't top that.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Trust me, I'm no spring chicken myself but I consider myself a happy upbeat person. I can also be a bitch on wheels when called for, but I'd never act like some of these women. I truly feel sorry for the men in their lives. I occasionally get a man with an attitude, but nothing like the women. Thanks for the thoughts. I keep thinking just that, I won't become one because I'm aware of it. They better hope I just keep laughing, otherwise it ain't going to be pretty.:D

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
. I truly feel sorry for the men in their lives.:D

They don't have any men in their lives. That's why they are bitchy and irritable. If you get what I mean.

Richard

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Someone wants YOU to apologize for the air stinking????

I would have either laughed hysterically (so that she thought I was a complete nutcase) or told her to f*ck off.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Sorry you had to put up with people like that today. I think the 'grumpy me me' people exist more in some cities than others. Where I used to live, people were always griping because they had to wait in line for over 5 min. Where I live now... most people will patiently wait 30 minutes for the perfect cup of coffee.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Sorry you had to put up with people like that today. I think the 'grumpy me me' people exist more in some cities than others. Where I used to live, people were always griping because they had to wait in line for over 5 min. Where I live now... most people will patiently wait 30 minutes for the perfect cup of coffee.

You sound like a Maxwell House commercial. Wasn't that their slogan?

Richard

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good to the last drop?

Oh and Joyce, what you have described is the main reason why I don't have a job dealing with the public.

Because I WOULD tell them off.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
They don't have any men in their lives. That's why they are bitchy and irritable. If you get what I mean.

Richard

Someone wants YOU to apologize for the air stinking????

I would have either laughed hysterically (so that she thought I was a complete nutcase) or told her to f*ck off.

I was more prone to tell her to F*ck off! I came really close with my next female experience of the day.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I've run into it the other way around, too. I once had an older couple come in to see a movie. They had a "buy one general admission, get one free coupon." The man wanted a senior's ticket, and when I pointed out that the coupon was only good if the first ticket was full price (a whole two dollars more, folks!) he said, "I don't have to put up with this f*cking shit!" and turned around and walked out.

His wife apologized for his rude behavior. I felt more sorry for her than for me, because she didn't get to see her movie because of her husband's infantile behavior.

I find that if I take a deep breath after the bitchy customer has left, then smile at the next one and say, "How may I help you?" that the day improves quite quickly, because almost always, the next customer is so aghast at how I've been treated that they act super nice.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I've run into it the other way around, too. I once had an older couple come in to see a movie. They had a "buy one general admission, get one free coupon." The man wanted a senior's ticket, and when I pointed out that the coupon was only good if the first ticket was full price (a whole two dollars more, folks!) he said, "I don't have to put up with this f*cking shit!" and turned around and walked out.

His wife apologized for his rude behavior. I felt more sorry for her than for me, because she didn't get to see her movie because of her husband's infantile behavior.

I find that if I take a deep breath after the bitchy customer has left, then smile at the next one and say, "How may I help you?" that the day improves quite quickly, because almost always, the next customer is so aghast at how I've been treated that they act super nice.

I guess in my grocery store the majority of the shoppers are women. The odds of having a bad one are higher. When I get a mad man, he's pretty mad though. :) My supervisors are always kidding me because at least once a week some customer sends in a comment card praising how nice and friendly I am. It's become a joke. There are some people you just can't make happy if you were giving free meat away at the register with a $50 bill.

Yeshanu

Elf Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I guess in my grocery store the majority of the shoppers are women. The odds of having a bad one are higher. When I get a mad man, he's pretty mad though. :) My supervisors are always kidding me because at least once a week some customer sends in a comment card praising how nice and friendly I am. It's become a joke. There are some people you just can't make happy if you were giving free meat away at the register with a $50 bill.

I always love it when I get compliments of that kind five or ten minutes after I've been yelled at by a bitch.

And yeah, I hear you about the people who will never be happy. I've known a few of them in my life, and it's so pitiful.

Happiness is a choice. I've made it! :D

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry you had a bad day, Joyce. :Hug2:

Some people just don't know how to behave in public. :(

Forget the Fashion Police, I think we could use some Manners Police in our society.

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
there's a sign in a restaurant I go to. It reads:

How about if we give you a new one, refund your money, and shoot the manager. Would that make you happy.

Some people are just not going to be happy.

Richard

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
joyce, fwiw, I love my grocery store peeps and they seem to tolerate me. They even started bringing in flank steak because I asked for it. :)

Something I learned a long time ago: don't crap where you eat. The best way to get your chicken bagged with your apples is to piss off the clerk. Yum!

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry you have to put up with garbage like that, Joyce. This may sound trite but at least you had the second older lady to stick up for you.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Something I learned a long time ago: don't crap where you eat.
I have in-laws who are rude to waiters and waitresses. We've stopped going to restaurants with them. I don't want to take the chance of someone spitting in my food.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have in-laws who are rude to waiters and waitresses. We've stopped going to restaurants with them. I don't want to take the chance of someone spitting in my food.

My in-laws were the same way. We just stopped going out with them too. My father-in-law would steal the tip my husband left and not think anyone saw him. Heck, they wanted us to steal packs of ketchup & mustard from fast food rest. for my wedding dinner.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...Of course her bottle of wine scans a dollar more than it really is, so she really lets me have it...
Whenever that happens at Publix and the customer notices, the item is given to them for free. You can bet I watch every item that's scanned like a fish hawk. :)

As for rude patrons, I can never understand what their goal is in giving folks a hard time. There's nothing to be gained by acting like a jerk in public. I've found people will go out of their way to help when they're treated with common courtesy and a civil tone.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
TurkeyLurkey, sounds like my husband's niece. She never says Thank you, and has this air that she doesn't have to show appreciation to those serving her because she's superior.

To me, like Joyce's nasty lady, the niece is just demonstrating she's INFERIOR to those working.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Whenever that happens at Publix and the customer notices, the item is given to them for free. You can bet I watch every item that's scanned like a fish hawk. :)

You can't imagine how many people I hear everyday tell me that Publix does this or that. I keep telling them this ain't no Publix. This is Winn Dixie and we don't. I have to remind them I'm just one of the grunts rowing the boat, not making the rules. Of course I say it with a sweet southern smile.:D