Real Ale

Calamity_Jones

Boomer's Disposable Minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Besides being cynical and sarcastic, one of my passion is Real Ale. Now, Real Ale, for those that do not know and live their grey, dismal lives unaware of the pleasures that their poor tongues are missing out on, is an alternative to generic Bitters and Lagers.

Real Ale can please any taste buds:

There's dark smoky ales with rich and complex flavours.
Light fruity Ales that are best drank cold (but not too cold as it impairs the flavour ;)) on a sunny day.
Session Ales that remain drinkable and interesting pint after pint.
Full whack GIGABITTER with high alcohol percentages that make your liver bleed.
Thick creamy oaty stouts and dark Ales.
Smooth and light dark milds.
Ales with fruit infusions (Banana, Strawberry, Citrus fruits... Anything)

Now... Lager, as we all know, is just fizzy sugar laden tooth rotting filth, and it has one flavour. (Though *proper* lagers can be barely tolerable, and by proper, I do not mean Fosters, Carling, Carlsberg, Budweiser, Grolsch etc)

Bitter can be very boring after a few pints, and where Lager is reliable (it always tastes the same), Bitters can be temperamental, keeping the beer properly can significantly effect the flavour.

Cider is vile.

I brew Ale with my friend periodically, we have had more success with our darkies so far, which is good because I prefer darker Ales :p

So, any other brewers/enthusiasts here? What types of Ale do you prefer?

Last edited:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, beer snob and real ale drinker here.
One of the most encouraging things about life here has been the growth of the small independent breweries since the dark days of the 70s when the conglomerates swallowed up the little local breweries, buying up their pub chains and threatening to leave us drowning in an undrinkable sea of Carling Black label and Watneys Red Barrel

spacekadet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.monicashaw.com
I just went to Cornwall for the first time and discovered a few new favorites...

Red Rock Traditional English Bitter
Black Sheep Ale
Hobgoblin Ruby Beer

What's your feeling on Belgian beer?

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm down with whatever will get you drunk without blinding you or coming back to punch you repeatedly in the brain the next morning.

Ale, cider, lager, beer, vodka, rum, wine, anything but tequila... which makes me paranoid... I'm not picky...

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
I just went to Cornwall for the first time and discovered a few new favorites...

Red Rock Traditional English Bitter
Black Sheep Ale
Hobgoblin Ruby Beer

What's your feeling on Belgian beer?

mmm
Belgian beer. Delicious but highly dangerous as it is twice as strong as a std English pint.
Very fond of Chimay blue

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
There are some drinkable lagers, depending on what you mean when you say lager.

There are also some good ales, depending on what you mean when you say ale.

Of course, breaking beer into just two major styles is a bit silly, IMO.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Our local brewpub just brought on its October Fest and we brought home a keg. Mmmm, it's delicious.

For standard beer consumption, I'm in for dark porters and stouts, but can handle wheaty goodness in the summer. I guess what I'm saying is this: if it's good beer, then I can drink it. Samuel Smith's, Young's Double Chocolate (wow!) Bells, Rogues, Ommegang, Abita, Anchor...

Has anyone been to the Porterhouse in Dublin? They make this chocolate truffle stout that makes me want to die from happiness. The oyster stout isn't half bad, either. :)

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I love the taste of Ales, but I've only had the pleasure of a few small name breweries. unfortunately, I cannot tolerate more than one or two before my skin turns red all over and begins to itch like crazy.
The one exception to this is Acme California Pale Ale.
Sierra Nevada annually brews a holiday concoction that rocks, but again, I get just a taste, and not an entire six pack.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I assumed, and since the OP hasn't returned I have no confirmation of this, that he was casting aspersions upon all things German. Because he even said, "proper" lagers can be "barely" tolerable.

Which is why I commented as I did.

Calamity_Jones

Boomer's Disposable Minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I was being sarcastic. I actually quite like Grolsch, but I think anybody can agree that Carling is vile...

mmm
Belgian beer. Delicious but highly dangerous as it is twice as strong as a std English pint.
Very fond of Chimay blue

Regarding Belgian Beers... Chimay is my favourite, though, admittedly, I haven't tried many, but it's a nice potent little dark beer.

What's Chimay blue like? I've only tasted red :p

Yes, beer snob and real ale drinker here.
One of the most encouraging things about life here has been the growth of the small independent breweries since the dark days of the 70s when the conglomerates swallowed up the little local breweries, buying up their pub chains and threatening to leave us drowning in an undrinkable sea of Carling Black label and Watneys Red Barrel

Yep. Thank goodness. There's a bit of a resurgence going on at the moment. Ale is very gradually coming back, judging by the number of independent breweries that are opening, the trend might continue. Oh, don't forget Worthingtons, the worst bitter ever.

There are also some good ales, depending on what you mean when you say ale.

Of course, breaking beer into just two major styles is a bit silly, IMO.

Yeah, there's lots of styles. But the distinction between Real Ales produced independently in small breweries and mass produced lagers like Carling is enormous. real Ales are all about flavour and ingredients, Carling is all about profit.

Our local brewpub just brought on its October Fest and we brought home a keg. Mmmm, it's delicious.

For standard beer consumption, I'm in for dark porters and stouts, but can handle wheaty goodness in the summer. I guess what I'm saying is this: if it's good beer, then I can drink it. Samuel Smith's, Young's Double Chocolate (wow!) Bells, Rogues, Ommegang, Abita, Anchor...

Has anyone been to the Porterhouse in Dublin? They make this chocolate truffle stout that makes me want to die from happiness. The oyster stout isn't half bad, either.

I drink dark mild in the summer :D

Can't beat Sammy Smiths! Low cost, great taste!

Anybody else tried making beer?