I've lost my ever loving freaking mind!

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
maybe you just didn't "connect." Did you talk about the Jonas Brothers at all? Should have said something like, "I was like listening to the Jonas Brothers and OMG! I just love them, like they're like soooo hawt!"

You'd be working today.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate the pseudo-psychological questionnaires more than the interviews. I can talk the talk, but those 100 question forms that ask the same question 3 different times drive me nuts.

"Do you consider taking home pens from the office stealing from work?"

Who the hell cares?

TheWritingRunner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritingrunner.wordpress.com
I hate the pseudo-psychological questionnaires more than the interviews. I can talk the talk, but those 100 question forms that ask the same question 3 different times drive me nuts.

"Do you consider taking home pens from the office stealing from work?"

Who the hell cares?

The correct answer is: "I'm stealing this pen right now!"

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
OMG, this is so true. The "kids" today, think they have all the answers and because we're older, we have outlived our ability to think without farting, speak without drooling and couldn't possibly know that 4 + 4 isn't 9. All our good ideas had to come off the back of a geritol container and any new ideas, we surely stole from them.
4+4 is 9, for sufficiently large values of 4. :tongue </smartarse youngster>

Hey! (Wait, am I still a kid since I'm 27? I still feel like an awkward teenager half the time, does that count?)

I think the problem with many (not all!) young people is that they are convinced of their own greatness. Deluded really. They think they are computer wizards because they IM, but they can't insert a picture into Word. They think they're a hot commodity in the job market, but don't realize it's because they can be paid in peanuts.
27 is most definitely still young. (Can you guess how old I am? ;))

My problem in the job world is the opposite of what you describe here - I'm actually worth a lot more than I give myself credit for. Or so people tell me.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Clair's got quite a bit of it down, I believe. I went to college with a bunch of these kids (I'm a ripe old 26).

I remember one group project we had to do and at the time I was married and working 3rds as much as I could. The other members of the group would come up to me and tell me what time the group was meeting at on Saturday or Sunday. Mind you it was always some time of day that made it impossible to get any sleep as a third shifter who had worked the night before and had to work that night. They'd never even ask what time was good for me. They just told me. So, they got the proper response of, "I'll try to make it."

Then they got all mad because I "wasn't" doing my share of the work. They recruited me to that group for one purpose, and they all loved what I did to our presentation to make it function in a very cool way, so in the end all their complaining to the professor was for naught.

Or the group that where I did all the work, tried to get them to meet for months, got a little help on the presentation, and we got a nice, solid B. I was pleased because it's hard to do that kind of analysis on a case study by yourself, but one guy was mad about it. He thought we should have gotten a better grade. Shoulda done some of the work.

Of course, the recruiter for the temp agency was interesting. Not only did she dress like a teenager still, and was really weird. She didn't seem to know how to answer when I asked what to wear to the interview for the position. I miss my temp job, though.

Feiss

Sleeps during the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hey, that girl was a disrespectful biotch, and she'll get her comeuppance, but most of us early 20 somethings are struggling too. We don't know what we want to do in life, the adult world is very different from the cocoon of college. It's all new and scary to us. At least the older generation has had decades to figure out what they're doing. I'm sorry that this chick pissed you off, but I don't think she's representative of my generation. For the record, I didn't know who the Jonas Brothers were until last month, and I tried really hard in College to learn something I hate, and now it'll probably take 10 years to get back on the right track again.

AmusingMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersconnection.com
Feiss, I don't think we're saying you all are the same. What I've discovered is there are two sets of thinking out there with your generation. Those who were raised by solid parental influences in their lives and those who virtually raised themselves.

Most, and not all of those who were raised by parents actively involved with their lives, who were taught the meaning of right and wrong and whose parents worked hard on developing well-rounded individuals are not part of this group referred to in this post. Unfortunately they suffer for the wrongs of the others their age in the other group.:Shrug:

The other group comes from the heavily divorced sector, dysfunctional or some blended families, where bitterness in bioparents fighting, and resenting, selfishness of parents who have children but can't be bothered raising these kids is the core of the problems, and society is forced to deal with them. Or, even those who just give, give, give to their kids without teaching, pawn them off on video games, television, babysitters,toys, fast cars and expensive boarding schools so that they don't have to parent. Most kids, and again not all, from both these scenarios are usually the ones who give your generation a bad name. Oh I know, all the protests are out there and ready to fire away at this post of mine, but I said most, not all. :flag:

In my research on this subject the general phrase "we reap what we sow" plays out in incredible proportions and to be quite honest with you, I fear our future leaders and what they will be all about. And girls like this one described in the initial post... tsk, tsk, a fitting example of "indifference inexperience at the helm:rant:."

What those like myself who are aging hope, is that those few kids from the positive group will find a way of rising up against the others and stand for what they believe in and fight what they don't. And they will have their hands full in the years to come, because when they get our age, the "other" group (for lack of a better word), will be the ones they will have to struggle against.

This is just an opinion, mine, and I'm sticking to it! :Soapbox:Gets off soap box.

P.S. I've met some really nice people in their 20s too, so I'm not entirely an ogre... ok maybe on Wednesdays. So you're safe.

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
hey, that girl was a disrespectful biotch, and she'll get her comeuppance, but most of us early 20 somethings are struggling too. We don't know what we want to do in life, the adult world is very different from the cocoon of college. It's all new and scary to us. At least the older generation has had decades to figure out what they're doing. I'm sorry that this chick pissed you off, but I don't think she's representative of my generation. For the record, I didn't know who the Jonas Brothers were until last month, and I tried really hard in College to learn something I hate, and now it'll probably take 10 years to get back on the right track again.

I know exactly what you're talking about - going from high school to college isn't so bad because at least you're still a student, but you graduate from college and it's like, "Okay, NOW what do I do?" Talk about culture shock. It's sort of like being given the keys to a Maserati when you turn sixteen and hearing. "Here you go, sweetie. Hope you figure it out." Some days I'm surprised that I've figured out as much of it as I have. And seriously - give me a co-worker, young or old, who's smart enough to know that they don't know everything over some jerk who thinks they're an expert in freaking everything. (The nastiest of the latter tend to be closer to my age, it seems. I've had to bite my tongue a few times to keep from saying yeah, you've been doing your job for oh sooooooo looooooooooooong now. Guess what? So have I and a lot of other people. Get over yourself already...)

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Hello Sweetie, If I could just ask you a simple question. Have I got your attention? Great. When was the last time you created a marketing innovation, which energized you, and why did it do so?
And the first smile of the day goes to my dear friend KTC. Thank you darlin'. ;)

Pfffft - When are you oldies going to face up to the fact that you're past it? Young graduates are the FUTURE, people! Three years of drinking and sleeping around studying hard at university is the perfect experience for any job.
Ahhh, I needed that. A good ole' Irish joke. *pauses* oh wait, you mean you weren't joking? oooooooooops...sorry ;)

Quite right.
In fact I think young people should be locked in a basement and kept out of sight until they grow into middle-aged, experienced people.
*goes to prepare the basement for Ben. :D

Hey! (Wait, am I still a kid since I'm 27? I still feel like an awkward teenager half the time, does that count?)

I think the problem with many (not all!) young people is that they are convinced of their own greatness. Deluded really. They think they are computer wizards because they IM, but they can't insert a picture into Word. They think they're a hot commodity in the job market, but don't realize it's because they can be paid in peanuts.

So many young people have had folks, like their parents, fawning over them and letting them get away with pretty much anything. Many are short-sighted and full of themselves.

But there are some kids who are none of those things.

Similarly, there are older folks who think they don't have to learn computers, should be paid more because they have experience in a completely unrelated area, and think they should be given extra breaks and less work because they're "old"-- here kid, you finish this, I'm old. They are cranky, out of touch and oblivious to the changing world. They don't understand how technology has affected life and can only reminise about the "good old days". =)

But not all of them.

Though the recruiter you dealt with was dreadful, regardless of her age. I would have been unacceptable for her to act as she had, regardless of her age. It was a powertrip by an unambitious young woman who doesn't realize she is the obstacle to her own success.

Best of luck in your job hunt. It's tough out there for all of us. Young people too-- at least the ones with ambitious, desires, and real skills we'd like to apply. =)
Thanks for your support. It's a relief to know that my kids aren't the only rational youngun's out there. :)

The correct answer is: "I'm stealing this pen right now!"
*laughs while taking a drink and gets water up her nose*

EXACTLY ;)

I'm not saying that all young people are like this. I'm just so disgusted with the recruiting agencies out there. I understand that college grads are cheaper to higher, I just want them to be trained to be decent and compassionate human beings.

AmusingMuse

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.awritersconnection.com
And the first smile of the day goes to my dear friend KTC. Thank you darlin'. ;)

Ahhh, I needed that. A good ole' Irish joke. *pauses* oh wait, you mean you weren't joking? oooooooooops...sorry ;)

*goes to prepare the basement for Ben. :D

Thanks for your support. It's a relief to know that my kids aren't the only rational youngun's out there. :)

*laughs while taking a drink and gets water up her nose*

EXACTLY ;)

I'm not saying that all young people are like this. I'm just so disgusted with the recruiting agencies out there. I understand that college grads are cheaper to higher, I just want them to be trained to be decent and compassionate human beings.

Amen! And do we have a Booooya!

Seaclusion

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
I just want them to be trained to be decent and compassionate human beings.

That can't be done after the fact. High school, college and their employer don't do that. That was their parents job and they failed.

Richard

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
That can't be done after the fact. High school, college and their employer don't do that. That was their parents job and they failed.

Richard
Nonsense! I know perfectly normal kids who to go college and come out defective. I know really rotten kids who go to college and come out great. It isn't just on the parents. It starts there but when they move out, it's up to them. On the job training and paying attention in classes like the marketing one I have right now regarding customer service could do them a lot of good.

Deccydiva

Back from the dead
Registered
Reaction score
I've been looking for a job for 16 months and I think I've heard most of the stupid reasons for not getting an offer. I'm educated to Masters level, have been a qualified accountant for 20 years and I can't get a job in McDonalds, let alone something in my own line. As I live alone it's becoming a serious worry and my health has been seriously affected. I feel like I'm trapped in a burning building and every direction I run in is straight into the fire.
Good job writing is an escape! And the dogs, of course... :)

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll: I am SO not believing what I'm reading here... I remember when we were the younguns and didn't trust anyone over 30! :roll:

... and our parents thought our music would turn us all into serial-killers, our fashions looked ridiculous, and "Why are you studying science, girl? Just learn to cook and find a man to marry."

"The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Chin up, Cassie. The gods didn't want you to have what the interviewer was offering, and I'm sure it's because they have something better in mind for you.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Bardskye you are such a peach! Thanks for the encouragement. I actually have an interview tomorrow. I submitted my resume for a department manager at a national chain store for crafts, called Michaels.

The manager (or soon to be this sunday) phoned me to say that she found my resume and is very interested in speaking with me.

It will be a huge step back in pay, I'm sure. But, it's work and that's all I care about right now. It seems, from what I've been told by the HR manager at the company I sold, that she is seeing more professionals that are highly qualified workers applying for jobs at her office for half the pay they are used to if not less.

Looks like things are taking a turn for worse here and Utah was holding strong for a long time against unemployment ratios going up. I'll be okay.

I'm revamping my website soon and bringing on new designs and hopefully selling more.