Image Search Blues

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
It's my fault. Whether the error is one of commission or omission, it's always my fault.

In this case, what's my fault is that most of the photos on a public service type blog I created about the area where I grew up don't show when I run an image search on Google or Yahoo. This is particularly true of photos I've taken.

The same goes for my writing site, but those photos are just window dressing.

Any sage wisdom, counsel or advice on how to end my image search blues?

Phote site: http://georgetowntullos.blogspot.com/

Writing site: http://billsbilge.blogspot.com/

Bayou Bill :cool:

Bill Ward

billwardwriter.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.billwardwriter.com
Do you google search the actual name of the pic (ie. GTOWN41) and have it not show up?

I'm not familiar with blogger and how it manages its image uploads, but I know with my own blog changing the name of a picture to an actual English word or phrase is what makes those pics come up when someone does a google image search. I'm pretty sure the image search looks at nothing but the actual file name of your pic, not the text on your blog.

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
Do you use the 'alt' tag to keyword them?
Thanks Bill (great name, BTW). I'll tinker with the file names. Any suggestion on what naming pattern works best? For instance, would naming them after the blog with numbers work better than naming them after the post or is there another formula that gives better results.

Emily, I've never tinkered with using the "alt" tag to name them. But I'll look into how that's done. Thanks.

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
all you need to do is add:

alt="word word word" into the code. Google uses that content.
Thanks, again. I'll probably spend the evening futzing with my blog instead of getting any real writing accomplished. (sigh - and that's sooooo unlike me :rolleyes:)

sgunelius

10 Books & Counting
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.keysplashcreative.com
Name the files intuitively and use the 'alt' tag. In other words, what keywords are people likely to type into Google if they wanted to find content like yours. Name your file and alt info with those keywords, relevant to the image.

Hope that helps.

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
Yes, use the alt tag and name the photo itself with the keywords you want the photo to show up under. I wouldn't name them YOURBLOGPHOTO1, 2, 3, but GeorgetownBridge, GeorgetownCityPark, etc.

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
Many thanks to everyone for the advice. I knew it would be something I either wasn't doing right or not doing and should.

Any other bits of knowledge will be appreciated, like, for instance, is there a particular or "best' spot where the alts should be included?

Last edited: