• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] books4mobiles / bookpublishing4mobiles.com

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I just got an invitation from books4mobiles. It's free and they load your book onto a mobile phone (?) and people can buy it that way. They seem very nice and they don't ask for any money, but I don't know if this is a real thing. Anyone deal with them?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Adding link: http://www.books4mobiles.com/

Here's the page that talks about publishing: http://www.bookpublishing4mobiles.com/index.html

Here you find out that it's only sort of a free service. To promote your book, there are fees. I'll bet this is how the company is planning to make money.

The badly written, typo-ridden website doesn't inspire confidence. Also, there's no information at all on the website about the company or its staff, though Whois reveals that the website is registered to these folks.

- Victoria

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria beat me to it.

Their prices are high for public domain books. A Conan Doyle short story for $3 (1.50 UK pounds)? Not when you can get it for free at Project Gutenberg and get open source reader software for your phone.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Victoria beat me to it.

Their prices are high for public domain books. A Conan Doyle short story for $3 (1.50 UK pounds)? Not when you can get it for free at Project Gutenberg and get open source reader software for your phone.
Or if you really want to hold a paper copy, 50 cents to $1.50 at a used bookstore.

haroldjones

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been using the books4mobiles services for a few months now, i have had no problems.

Any questions i have had, the team there have been very helpful.

I used to work for mobile marketing firm, i believe the reason for the price for the public domain books, will be because it costs to have a games or files sent directly to a mobile phone with a short code.

Gutenberg is free because you directly download to your computer. Books4mobiles.com get yours book to mobile phone and the mobile phones company will want paying. It not cheap.

Books4mobiles.com in my opinion is worth while service. Im getting sales using there text service.

There are not many organisations selling or publishing for free. Great offer.

regards
Harold

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Hi everyone,

I have been using the books4mobiles services for a few months now, i have had no problems.

Any questions i have had, the team there have been very helpful.

I used to work for mobile marketing firm, i believe the reason for the price for the public domain books, will be because it costs to have a games or files sent directly to a mobile phone with a short code.

Gutenberg is free because you directly download to your computer. Books4mobiles.com get yours book to mobile phone and the mobile phones company will want paying. It not cheap.

Books4mobiles.com in my opinion is worth while service. Im getting sales using there text service.

There are not many organisations selling or publishing for free. Great offer.

regards
Harold

Welcome to AW.

Your typing is similar to what I read on the website. Are you the owner or one of the owners?

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
It costs about a quarter US to send SMS mail messages. USD3 for a PD book still seems out of line.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've got a low-end, pay-as-you-go "disposable" cheapie ($20, off the rack). The screen is a little larger than your average postage stamp, which plays havoc when reading my Yahoo email, so that's one count against this. The second, as JulieB points out, is the comparative cost, but I guess they have to make some money somewhere. The third is I seriously wonder how many phones have the memory available to download and hold such a document.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
You're absolutely right. The small phones on the market really aren't designed for that kind of reading. The Java reader app might make the experience a little better, though.

As for size, I checked the text versions of some PD books that I downloaded from Project Gutenberg. They go from 300kb to 1 MB in size. The number of e-books you could fit on a phone would depend on the amount of free memory available.

Now, to bring it back to the original topic. The page Victoria linked to before mentioning fees appears to have been removed. It appears that it's possible to publish up to ten books for free. Royalties seem to be two pounds split evenly between the publisher and the author - or all to you if you're self pubbed - for each five pound sale.

There appear to be a few self-pubbed or small press books available.

Speaking as a consumer, I'd want to see some sort of a preview of a book before I spend almost ten bucks on an e-book.

I wish you guys the best of luck.

cobra

Registered
Reaction score
Hello People

Hello People

Just added my book, very helpful by email with the questions I had.

Downloadeded a book to my mobile phone, looks great.

Its free.

Jess
New York

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Two drivebys with one who writes very similar to the writing on the site. Me thinks we have the owner and one of his friends popping in to promote the business.

I can't imagine a new writer would think this type of service would be beneficial to their career. IMO, it's vanity publishing on a pinhead. I can see people downloading books that are hot and books that friends have told them about, but who the heck is going to download an unknown writer's work to their phone for ten dollars? (Supposing they accidentally found this site while cruising about the Internet.)

IMO, if you're serious about a career in writing, this is not something you should be considering. And if your goals are to be vanity or self-pubbed, there are much better ways to attain those goals.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Specifically, two one post wonders who think it appropriate to pose as if the are just authors using the service, and expect us to believe such blatant spam.