Did you ever decide not to read a book because...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I should make it clear that I have not gone and rearranged my book shelves into friendly versus unfriendly looking authors. It was just one book and I wound up reading something by Margaret Atwood, who does not look as though she hands out brownies. For all future author photos I will scowl. :)

Norton

Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care about author photo.
But sometimes I can decide not to buy (read) the book if the cover design is not interesting or primitive.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
I don't usually notice it unless the author photo is actually the front cover, sometimes the case in nonfiction. As if they couldn't think of a better image for the title of the book than their own goofy mug. That annoying pastor/self help guy ("You Best Life Now") does this. I've never picked up the book, but the cover is frightening.

Edmontonian

Registered
Reaction score
I don't like when authors hide their faces

Hello,

Not, that has not happened to me, but I don't like when authors hide their faces, or crop them. I read once a fiction book, supposedly "best seller" and then I googled the name of the author and I found his picture. His hair is falling and he had cropped the picture at his website to look what... younger... more impressive...? I am not buying the book because the author is good looking.

Thanks,

ED

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
Funniest author picture I ever saw was Barbara Cartland. My Mum was into all those books in her day. That is one scary looking woman...Barbara Cartland that is not my mother LOL

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I'd never pick up this guy's book, even if I thought I'd need it:

sunglass_flat.jpg

So to answer your question, yes.

ETA: He really does have a book! I'm not just posting beefcake.

Last edited:

Tachyon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
tachyondecay.net
This summer I read The Art Thief, by Noah Charney. I didn't actually look at the back cover when I borrowed it from the library; I saw the author photo when I went to read it. I couldn't help but mock the guy. Still, I don't judge by appearance, so I read the book.

It turned out to be one of the worst novels I have ever read.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Now isn't that special. (Shades of Church Lady.)
You didn't tell us what book, Wendy. Keeping it to yourself?! Come on, share!

Fitness Made Simple by John Basedow. He also has a video they advertise on TV. Over and over and over...

Ervin

Registered
Reaction score
Of the author photo? I just picked up a book and the cover looked interesting and the first page was interesting and then I looked at the photo and he looked so damn supercilious that I thought, Forget it. And I put the book back. I've never done that before.
That reminds me of a self help book I keep seeing every time I go to a bookstore, where this very supercilious asshole is smiling at me from the front cover. If I ever actually need self help, I'm staying away from that one. But otherwise, the way the author looks doesn't matter to me much.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Glamour Shots came to mind, but they're makeup happy...

So funny! My best friend and I had a conversation just a few days ago about how I could do Glamour Shots, circa 1992, should the day ever come I need author's pics. Can you imagine? :D

Susan, as for your OP, I wouldn't be surprised if I've done that. But just like the "funny" way an author may be represented in their picture, cover artwork or the way something's quoted on the front can be just as unappealing. It's all about personal perception.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
I did once. It wasn't that long ago, but I can't remember what the book was. The author was a woman; it was a full body shot and she was leaning back in her chair wearing a white dress covered in ladybugs. Ladybugs! I have nothing against ladybugs in general, but it was just the most ridiculous author picture I'd ever seen. I couldn't read the book.
Is dismissing the book based on the fashion choice of the author worse than doing it because he or she looked supercilious?

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
Funny you should mention a bad reaction to a photo. I had the same thing happen to me yesterday but it was an agent photo. I sold my first novel on my own but I'm always on the lookout for agents to approach when I'm finished my current wip. Yesterday I checked out the website of an agent who represents my genre and has done very well for her clients but her photo put me off. I had a negative gut reaction and didn't think I could work with her. Strange, but I know I won't contact her.
Linnea

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
You could say i really do judge a book by its cover. If a book has a shinny cover then i wont read it because it looks tacky. (if you know what i mean by shinny cover)

XX

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I must admit I've never done that. And probably never would, though I think I can see why you did. If the writer looks too smug or some such it probably wouldn't put me off of reading a book I'm truly interested in, but it would definitely affect my opinion of the writer him/herself.

There are times when I'm shocked by the author photo because it doesn't fit my expectations (this happens more often when I've read material of theirs before without seeing a photo yet), and with authors whose work I particularly admire, I tend to get really shy and embarrassed of looking at their photos so I try to avoid doing so, and if I set the book down I do so so their photo doesn't show.

Yes I know that sounds nuts but I'm schizotypal and those photos stare at me!! :eek:

If I ever got published I doubt I would put in a photo of myself; that'd make me avoid picking up my own book! *also avoids mirrors in public*

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
I like seeing photos of the authors I read. I kinda feel bad if I think it is a bad photo of them.

I had to look up supercilious in my dictionary because I didn't know what it meant and I found the words suicide and suicidal highlighted in pink in my dictionary. WTF! I don't highlight my dictionary and I definitely wouldn't highlight those words.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm usually more interested in the setting or background of the author photo than in the author himself. The props can be quite interesting. The costuming, too.

I notice that photos of Dean Koontz often show him with a golden retriever, which reminds me (and probably many others) of his novel Watchers, which is my favorite of his. Another author photo memory: In one of her earlier novels, they had Olivia Goldsmith all tricked out with blond hair and a Vogue pose. In a later one, there she was, a brunette who looked like a writer not a model wannabe. I much preferred the later photo.

It seems a tradition to tart up romance writers or try to make them look like old money. Thriller writers are often equipped with dark glasses and tough-guy outfits. There's the famous pic of Tolkien, every bit the Oxford don out in the quad with his pipe. Susanna Clarke's pic in Jonathan Strange was so glammed-out, I didn't recognize her on the cover of Locus, looking so...ordinary! Someone once said that SF writers have the eyes of children, with Ray Bradbury the exemplar of the phenomenon.

Interesting topic. I'll have to go back and check out some photos on favorite books.

I've never considered the author photo in purchasing a book. I do have a preference for photos on the back flap rather than on the back cover, which is where there should be either a good summary, cool blurbs, or more art.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I guess I can understand the gut responses we can have to pictures. But having had some really bad headshots hold me back in my acting career, I know what it's like to be judged on pictures alone. Like I've already said, getting a good shot is very difficult, and it just makes me sad how judgmental people get about things like that.

It's the same thing I have with covers. My original UK cover really did not reflect the inside of the book, for that reason it has done extremely poorly in the UK. So now that I have a bit of a personal experience with judging things based on their appearance, I work very hard to go beyond it. It isn't easy, it goes beyond our natural instincts. But I guess I was kind of hoping in this thread that maybe people would learn from my experience and have the empathy before they find themselves with the personal experience of it. Trust me, you don't want to actually go through it in order to learn how superficial we can be.

I dunno. This thread just makes me really sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.