• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Pump Up Your Book! (formerly Pump Up Your Book Promotion PR) (Dorothy Thompson)

thewriterslife

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pumpupyourbookpromotion.com
I'm hoping that it is okay to post this in here, but I'm putting together a how to book for aspiring/new authors and I'm looking for some really good horror publisher stories. I feel that they should know that this business is not all fame and glory like they think it is. The book will be published in 2006 by my publisher, Zumaya Publications, who published my soul mate anthology, Romancing the Soul, last year. If you have been burned or been given the runaround that cost you time, money and stress, I'd love to hear from you. Please email me at [email protected] and put "Publisher Horror Story" in the subject line. You do not have to give the publisher's name - just the circumstances. Please hurry - I have a deadline of June to get the book finished. Thank you!

Dorothy Thompson
www.dorothythompson.net
www.thewriterslife.net

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Dorothy, these kinds of stories need to be put in context. At the very least, you need to know what sort of publisher the writer is telling the story about. A writer who says "PublishAmerica didn't market my book" does not mean the same thing as one who says "Penguin didn't market my book." Also, the horror stories experienced by people who wind up with scam or incompetent publishers have an entirely different basis, and often involve completely different issues, from the horror stories that commercially published authors tell. Unless you make some distinctions, and provide a context for the info you're providing, you may wind up misleading authors rather than enlightening them.

- Victoria

Monty

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.publishedauthors.net
Burned by PA and my agent.

dear all whom are considering a agent read editors and preditors first

Getting burned for $2,500 dollars in editoral fees isn't fun it hurts and if the person writting a book about it will protect her sources I will tell her I dont care that PA burns me daily for royality money. it's the fact my agent sent me a letter saying I have never hear of these people but your not getting any better deals if you wish published take it. Hell he didn't even try I have a good story so tell even if I went with a crap publisher like PA if my story is so bad? How come I am making sells and all that read it like my work?

Signed mad as Hell!

percmpnl

Your Work is Great!

Hello! Dorthy Thompson
For this kind of thing I am a man of few words!
First: When your book is finished I'd like to Purchase
a copy.
Second I'd also like to help promote it for Free!
Third: I Agree with Victoria ( Good advice )
Finally I represent The Author/Publisher of some now
Famous Books and he tells me he is not happy with
Author House...Why...He didn't say...Gaged I guess!
I will find out and PM or email you personaly...I've
looked at your site breifly prior to this post...
Good Luck with all your Great Work.
Perry Campanella (percmpnl) Poet

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
percmpnl said:
Finally I represent The Author/Publisher of some now
Famous Books and he tells me he is not happy with
Author House
As an example of the kind of issues I mention in my previous post: AuthorHouse isn't a publisher, but a publishing services provider.

- Victoria

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's the same person. (Merging.)

thewriterslife

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pumpupyourbookpromotion.com
Yes, I'm one and the same. I got involved with marketing and the book fell by the wayside. Victoria brings up some great points even though this thread is seven years old...and it's funny what you learn in those seven years. One, what might be a good experience for one author might not be the same for another. It's like the same advice people give you - what works for someone else's book might not work for yours. I think the original plan was to not name names but to provide stories that might help other authors decide which paths not to take but...we can't always know that by reading how others do it. We just have to do it ourselves to find out if that path was right or maybe not so right. Do we ever know?

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
I paid for a Bronze (ten-stop) tour package at Pumpupyourbook.com for the month of November, 2012. My tour page is here, for reference.

On the whole, I can't say that this had any impact on the visibility of the book I was promoting. Four of my interviews are buried in high-traffic, community-journalism sites where, yes, there's a chance someone might stumble across it. I couldn't find them without searching for my name, though.

One of the posts never went up, and I didn't get a reason why -- but I did get a replacement stop.

Of the remaining five blog stops, one was on the Pump site itself and two were directly connected to my tour agent.

Was it a complete waste of time? (shrugs) I'm not angry, but I'll be arranging my own blog tours in the future.

Noman

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
WARNING: PUMP UP YOUR BOOK DOROTHY THOMPSON: STAY AWAY!!
My email.
Four reviews is a very meager showing for $99.
Of the reviews I’ve gotten, two 5s, one 3, and one 2.
Also, people like Misty (below) are not sci-fi readers. I checked her Goodreads books. She rated the book as 2 (below) based on her inability to understand. She said the book was too intense and complicated for her. This tells me she wasn’t properly vetted.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What does "Misty (below)" and "rated the book as 2 (below)" mean? Did you intend to include links to the review?

Last edited: