Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: paying markets for humor writing

paying markets for humor writing

Hello Fellow writers,
    I want to do humor writing, but am having difficulty finding any places that publish for much money, if they pay anything at all. I'd like to submit to Cracked, but their submission system only allows you to submit through a form, which is like sending it to a black hole. I've tried to bypass this by trying to find an actual person to email, but couldn't find any way to do so. As for MAD, which I've read since I as a kid, I couldn't find a human for this, either, even though I asked.
    Any way to get to those places? And any well-paying humor markets?
    Thanks!
    Sarah

I've tried both those mags in the past, w/o success of getting published.
    There's also Funny Times, which pays a decent rate, but not as much as those two.
    http://www.funnytimes.com/
    http://www.funnytimes.com/submissions.php

practical experience, FTW HoraceJames's Avatar
    I don't know about Cracked, but I believe Mad uses staff writers almost exclusively. When I was a kid, they featured the same (excellent) group of 6-8 people for years and years.
    HJ
    http://horacejames.wordpress.com/
    http://twitter.com/HoraceJames
    Well, a rat always knows
    When he's in with weasels
    Here you lose a little everyday
    -- Tom Waits

Rock and Squiggle plaidearthworm's Avatar
    If you can find the July issue of The Writer, they had four humor markets listed, and a market closeup on MAD. The magazine's editor is Dave Croatto, and here's what he had to say: "MAD's audience runs in age from 8 to 80 (sorry 81-year-olds, you're out of luck!) We gladly accept unsolicited submissions, and writers can read our guidelines in the FAQ section of our Web site, www.madmag.com. The perfect submission is sent by someone who's read recent issues and knows MAD's voice, has a fresh approach and doesn't write down to our moronic readers."

The other magazines listed were Funny Times (www.funnytimes.com), Annals of Improbable Research (www.improbable.com), and The Wittenburg Door (www.thewittenburgdoor.com).

Hope this helps!
    Did you know laughing makes you look younger? Drop a few years over at An Army of Ermas!

Every day is a geek holiday over at Pure Geek!

Is the moon rising in your house or are you just happy to see me? Check out your weekly forecast at Wisecrack Zodiac!

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch WPR Dominatrix JeanneTGC's Avatar
    The New Yorker, The Atlantic Monthly, and Harper's all take humor. Sure, chances of getting accepted by them are slim -- though still better than your chances of winning the lottery -- but I figure it's worth the shot because what if one of them says "yes"?
    Jeanne

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
    Coming May 5, 2015, Alien Separation -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar Tit
    Look for places that take essays, then send them humorous ones. The Smithsonian's Last Page and The Christian Science Monitor for example.

Sometimes it's best for Yin and Yang to get separate dressing rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by HoraceJames View Post
    I don't know about Cracked, but I believe Mad uses staff writers almost exclusively. When I was a kid, they featured the same (excellent) group of 6-8 people for years and years.
    Yeah, but MAD is seeking freelance work; they've had calls for submissions. You can check out their website.
    Sarah

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeek View Post
    To submit to Cracked, you need to register for their forum, and then post a request to be added to their workshop thread.

Here, see this for more info --> http://www.cracked.com/forums/topic/...comedy-cracked

Thanks, Eek. You are awesome. How did you know about this? (Those sneaky "gatekeepers" hiding information from good writers tick me off)

Rock and Squiggle plaidearthworm's Avatar
    Here's a new one, just found out about it today courtesy of Funds for Writers: New Christian Voices is wanting humor. It's a paying market, but it doesn't say how much. Looks promising, though. Here's the writers guidelines: http://www.newchristianvoices.com/blogs/joanne-brokaw/ncv-writers-guidelines.
    Did you know laughing makes you look younger? Drop a few years over at An Army of Ermas!

Every day is a geek holiday over at Pure Geek!

Is the moon rising in your house or are you just happy to see me? Check out your weekly forecast at Wisecrack Zodiac!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Call for Submissions

I posted a thread about this above, but I didn't see this thread, so forgive me if this info is a repeat. A River & Sound Review is accepting submissions for humor (paid gig). Please see the info below or visit our website, www.riverandsoundreview.org, for more info on how you can submit.

Thanks,
    Jay Bates
    Humor Editor
    A River & Sound Review

Humor
    We will consider submissions of humor manuscripts of indeterminate genre up to 2,000 words in length. There are no limitations on form or subject matter (other than the submission be funny). Place entire manuscript in the text of an email message. (Submissions with manuscripts sent as an attachment will not be opened or read.) Please include your name and email address in the message along with a precise word count and secondary contact information. In the Subject Line, place your first and last name and the words “Humor Submission.”

Send your humor submission to our editors at RSRhumoreditor@hotmail.com.

Quote Originally Posted by B8SMAN View Post
    . . . Please see the info below or visit our website, www.riverandsoundreview.org, for more info on how you can submit.

Thanks,
    Jay Bates
    Humor Editor
    A River & Sound Review

Humor
    We will consider submissions of humor manuscripts of indeterminate genre up to 2,000 words in length. There are no limitations on form or subject matter (other than the submission be funny). Place entire manuscript in the text of an email message. (Submissions with manuscripts sent as an attachment will not be opened or read.) Please include your name and email address in the message along with a precise word count and secondary contact information. In the Subject Line, place your first and last name and the words “Humor Submission.”

Send your humor submission to our editors at RSRhumoreditor@hotmail.com.
    Update on their definition of humor. Note the end sentence.

Humor
    We consider submissions of humor manuscripts of indeterminate genre up to 1,000 words in length. There are no limitations on form or subject matter (other than the submission be funny), but please know that what we qualify as "humor" is typically in the form of lampoons, rants, satires, and parodies. No humorous fiction please.