Blog Interviews - Do you interview people?

melodychef

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melodyplatz.typepad.com
I've been dipping my feet into the realm of interviewing for my blog. I was able to interview Dennis Palumbo, screenwriter of My Favorite Year starring Peter O'Toole. It has been a fun and informative process, and Dennis Palumbo has been wonderful to me.

So here are my questions:

1. Do you interview people for your blog?

2. How do you get people to do interviews with you? (I bought Dennis's book, Writing from the Inside Out and reviewed it. He actually found me!)

3. If you do interview people, what is your one favorite interview post that you've created?

4. Do you know of other bloggers who are really great at the interview process?

You don't have to answer all the questions. I just thought this might be an interesting topic for some of us.

dwrite

Registered
Reaction score
HI, All:

I have interviewed people for my blog www.propertycrossroads.com, and for a previous blog I ran focusing on independent comics. Each time, I simply sent the folks I wanted to talk to an e-mail. Surprisingly, no one refused.

Now, when I interview people for magazine and newspaper stories, I speak to them by phone. For my blog, though, I simply sent my subjects questions by e-mail, which saved time for everyone. I think for a blog, subjects don't necessarily want to waste time chatting on the phone.

Having interviews on your blog site, by the way, is a great idea. It really does add some personality to a blog.

Dan
http://indycomics.today.com
www.propertycrossroads.com
www.blogprorealty.com

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
I don't interview people. I can see it has merits, but the readership of my blog is low. So I don't imagine people wanting to be interviewed for it.

But if I did do interviews, I'd send an email to people I'd like to interview.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Interviews with memoir writers

Hi Melodychef,

What a nice conversation starter. Yes, I've done several interviews for my blog about memoir writing. Most of the interviewees were memoir writers, although I also had a couple of fiction writers. I've tried three different styles:

I've done tape recorded ones and then printed the interview verbatim. Transcribing a tape takes a lot of time, and I would prefer to avoid that method.

I've done interviews and then used the gist of the conversation in my writing.

My favorite kind is the email interview. The only editing I do is to tweak my questions and rearrange the order or cut excess. It's easy, satisfying for me and the author, and I believe it informs the reader.

Interviews are a great way to bring more information and other voices to your readers. Probably the ultimate would be an audio, recorded interview. I've heard the technology is easy but I've never tried it.

Thanks again for stirring up the conversation.

Jerry

Last edited:

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I've been interviewed, and I found the experience to be wonderful. It's a great way to promote myself as a writer.

A fellow blogger actually emailed me and asked me if I would like to be interviewed. I was flattered and excited. She had wonderful questions, and I was able to take my time with the answers.

I'm sure you'll be well received if you offer interviews.

MovieBlogger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com
I've done a few celebrity interviews for my blog. Only in each case, they've been by email. I contacted them first to see if they were interested and, if so, sent a list of questions. That way, you don't have to worry about misquoting them.

It has been fun.

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have been interviewed for a couple of other blogs, but I have not done any on my own blogs as of yet

flashgordon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bauuinstitute.com
I've been interviewed for blogs and they just sent me the questions via email. I don't do interviews for my blogs, just never gotten around to it. I do use guest posts that are similar to interviews, but more on a specific topic. Those seem to get a good response, but again it depends on the author and topic.

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
I've been interviewed about my podcast and I've done interviews when there's a specific royal event in the media. It's amazing what having a blog can lead to.

I've interviewed one person on my blog; an author promoting a royal related book. I'd like to do more interviews in the future.

I'd also like to incorporate interviews into my podcast. Today I just bought a digital recorder and set it up to my phone. Once I learn how to use it properly, then I can take it from there.

Last edited: