How do I protect my blog's "future" on someone else's site?

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm a freelance writer, new to blogging. Believe it or not, someone wants to pay me to blog. It's for a site I've already been contributing regular articles to, so I know the folks and everything is cool. However, I'm the one who came up with the blog idea. To be fair, without the site as the platform, I probably wouldn't have had this idea or the opportunity to get paid for it. That being said, WHAT IF I end up drawing in a huge audience? WHAT IF my blog is wildly successful and I want to, oh I don't know, graduate from this local portal? How do I protect that option now? I haven't ever signed a contract for this company. The initial articles were just easy topics that I wasn't concerned about for the long haul. But now, I'm thinking about copyrights, and the stake I may or may not have in this in the future.

Thoughts? Advice?

melodychef

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melodyplatz.typepad.com
Congrats

I imagine that if you become so popular that you are drawing in a huge audience, the people who want to pay you now will want to work with you in a respectful manner in the future.

Popularity will just give you a bit more power.

But if you are worried about contracts or anything legal, then you should consult a lawyer who has experience in creative issues.

Hope this helps.

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
I'd ask for the right to republish your articles elsewhere after "X" amount of time. That should cover it. Get legal help on the fine points, but if you're worried about losing rights to your work that's the easiest solution.

Also, the best contract you could probably negotiate would be one where you are paid a fixed rate to start with & then a bonus for any traffic you draw in. However, depending on how wealthy the site is to start with, that may not be feasible for the site owner.

-- Leva

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you.

Leva, I took your suggestion, sent an email to my editor and am awaiting her reply. I appreciate the money factor, but I'm not even going to approach that since the site is a local startup. I get paid $25 per post as it is, which seems pretty good in the scheme of things. At the beginning, I tried to negotiate more moolah based on samples I saw at 800 words. But as it turned out, the ed is pretty easygoing. I can turn in 400 words (good ones) and still get paid the $25. She also mentioned at the beginning that there may be raises in the future as the site grows. So, what I'm most concerned about is retaining my rights down the line and that's what I asked her about.

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
$25 per article is very good and would take substantial traffice for the site owner to earn back. If she's earning $2 CPM, for example, she'd need to have 12,500 views just to break even on your pay.

-- Leva

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
The ed got back to me. She asked for first North American rights as well as first electronic rights, and only asked that I wait a month before I attempt to re-publish or re-market a post. Sounds darn fair to me.