• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Bookstand Publishing

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Hey guys,

Lately I've been exploring all my options for getting my sci-fi book published. If I do have to self-publish, this place seems like my best option.

http://www.ebookstand.com/content/publishing
Trade Paperback (Perfect Bound with Black & White Text)
  • Starting at only $499
  • Published in 5 to 8 weeks
  • 30% Royalty on Cover Price
  • Full Color Cover (All cover Template Choices - Click Here to View ) Custom cover design - additional fee
  • Black and White Interior
  • 48 Copies of Your Book
  • Unlimited Photos, Tables and Charts
  • ISBN Registration Number
  • Bar Code
  • Books in Print Registration
  • e-Commerce Web Page For Your Book
  • Electronic Proof
  • Printed Proof
  • Author Retains ALL Rights
  • PDF eBook Available For Sale
  • Wholesale Purchase Program
  • Included in Amazon, Barnesandnoble.com and Baker & Taylor
  • 10 Step Marketing Plan
  • Pricing and options

I've taken a look at a lot of self-publishers, and this seems to be the better one. Any thoughts?

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
$499 for 48 copies of a trade paperback sounds like a very good price indeed.

Are there any page limits to that?
Are there any hidden fees, or is the $499 really it?

I'd buy a copy of another book from the same printers to get a feel for the actual quality--I think it's worth the investment.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Be aware that the 30% royalty is just for books sold via the Bookstand website. If the book is sold via a bookstore, library, or an online retailer, your royalty will be 10%.

Otherwise, it looks like a pretty straightforward service. Do follow Ice Cream's advice, though, and order one or more books--you'll be able to assess not just quality, but how efficient the ordering system is.

- Victoria

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir

The page count price list is located here.

If the book is sold via a bookstore, library, or an online retailer, your royalty will be 10%

The actual verbiage is “up to 10% of the list price on each print book sold on other retail web sites” per the Agreement.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com

I'd buy a copy of another book from the same printers to get a feel for the actual quality--I think it's worth the investment.

At a closer look, it seems the $499 price tag is for books with a page count of 25-100pp. The reality is that most trade paperbacks will run to 200pp+, and according to Boostand's site, the cost of that is actually $699 (with the 48 copies), also the retail list price for this comes in at $18.95.

There also seems to be a wholesale option for authors to purchase, but this is limited to a minimum of 25 copies.

Also, a look at the cover templates seem very basic, and any author considering this POD publishing option would be well advised to supply their own cover.

I think there are more competive POD options around, Booklocker.com comes to mind, however, it would depend on how many copies the author is intending purchasing themselves. If the answer to that is several hundred or more, going direct with Lightning Source Inc would be far better.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
At a closer look, it seems the $499 price tag is for books with a page count of 25-100pp. The reality is that most trade paperbacks will run to 200pp+, and according to Boostand's site, the cost of that is actually $699 (with the 48 copies), also the retail list price for this comes in at $18.95.

That seems like less of a deal, then, as compared to Lulu.com and Booklocker and even some local printers. But it might be worth thinking about for someone doing a short book (poetry collection, for instance).

Lance0812

Registered
Reaction score
If it were me - and it has been - I'd go with lulu.com. I currently have a western/humor series available from them (The Velvet Brand, The Cheyenne Brand and Seven Against Texas) and I've found their quality both good and consistent.
You'll have to format your own book (good guidelines supplied) and do your own editing and proofing (which you should have done anyway). As for covers - design your own (leaving room for Lulu to impose the title) or choose from their library of designs. (Good selection of fonts, too)
Also, you'll do your own back cover and supply a short blurb for random browsers.
Once done, your book is available for preview, purchase (trade paperback was my choice) or download.
Further, you set the price for purchase and download, depending on how much you want to earn per copy. I charge $12.99 for a 290-page book, earning just over $2.00 per and $1.50 for downloads - earning $1.20 per.
Granted, most of the people who order from the site will be friends and family since the books are promoted nowhere else, but the author can buy as many wholesale-priced copies as he wishes and peddle them to indie stores or at book fairs.
For myself, I took this route because the books fit no conventional category (ever hear of a hilarious western?) and I wanted my children to have something more than a .doc file to remember me by. (They make excellent Christmas gifts and since the series will run to at least five books, I'm covered for the next two years.)
Erv Bobo