College Football

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Down so low in Austin, bottom looks like up.
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
So the ayes have it then?

Okay...
NO! Not okay.

In other words, there can't be a college football thread in the Office Party which gets a fair slug of traffic. Instead, that subject MUST be relegated to a little-used forum. There's probably a good reason it's so little used--last activity 8/12.

In theory, this forum is supposed to be for folks interested in sports WRITING, not a place for college football fans to shoot the breeze. By that logic, the Old Farts thread should be moved to Historical Writing.

Bad move Mr. Mod.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Hook 'Em Horns, INDEED!

And dare I say, Ram 'Em Rams? (John Marshall HS, class of 79, J Comp)

Rah!

Cecilia
Hey, I went to John Marshall, too! Granted it was probably a different HS in a totally different state, but still. We're sort of alumni.

We were the Eagles.

And why are we hidden away in this moldy old forum?

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
Silver King, aka The Mad Mover, switched the thread to this writing forum. I'm not sure why.

If it isn't back on the Office Party by tomorrow, I'll start another one there--tentative title: College Football Fans (non-writing).

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
UNI FIGHT UNI FIGHT!!! GO PANTHERS!!!

Rooting for my alma mater because the Pacifist Irish will probably be rebuilding again this year. . .

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Sara, I completely understand. College football gets into your blood when you're sitting in Neyland Stadium with 110,000 some odd drunk rednecks screaming Rocky Top at the tops of their lungs.
The Horror ... the horror :scared:

pffft ... All you all are Gator Bait. :e2tongue:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Appalachain? Never heard of them.

I hate you.

Awwwwwwwww....Haggis! You shouldn't hate me! Right now, you should be too worried about Utah to hate me.

Michigan needs to beat Utah. Otherwise, Rodriguez' job will just get harder and harder as the season goes on. He's going to have a couple of rocky years anyway until he gets the talent in to Ann Arbor that will match his offensive preferences.

I'm looking at Illinois-Missouri and Hawaii-Florida as the potentially most interesting games of the weekend. Tennessee-UCLA might end up being a statement game considering UCLA's new coaching staff and injury woes.

A question: is this the first time that two reigning national champions from different divisions have met in the season opener? LSU-App State has interest levels all up and down the spectrum, beyond whether App State can do it two years in a row and upset a huge football powerhouse. Another tidbit--the quarterback from App State is, in my opinion, a viable Heisman candidate. If Armanti Edwards continues to put up the types of numbers he did last year and if App State has a good showing against LSU (or beats them) we might be looking at the strongest division II Heisman candidate since Steve McNair at Alcorn State.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Silver King, aka The Mad Mover, switched the thread to this writing forum. I'm not sure why.

If it isn't back on the Office Party by tomorrow, I'll start another one there--tentative title: College Football Fans (non-writing).

Well, whatever happened to the new thread? I never saw it and was all ready to port it here, to the SPORTS forum.

"The Mad Mover" is hungry, so please by all means give him a reason to eat.

Thank you.

TMM

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Awwwwwwwww....Haggis! You shouldn't hate me! Right now, you should be too worried about Utah to hate me.

Oh, Celina, you know I don't hate you. I just hate the city you live in. With every breath I take, no matter what time of year, football season or not, I say to myself, "I hate Columbus, and I hate the Buckeyes." Down deep in the core of your being, in the very guts of your soul, you know I'm right.

And don't give me that "Vols" bullshit. :D

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
You won't get any argument from me, Haggis. Being a Volunteer in a state full of Buckeye nuts is a pain in the wazoo.

*grin*

But I'll still smacktalk at you when 'the game' rolls around. For right now, the only reason I have to root for the Suckeyes as my second 'favorite' team is the hope that they will go into the Rose Bowl and kick Pete Carroll's ass. Hearing about USC makes my eyeteeth curl. Any school that talks about a 'dynasty' after winning only one BCS championship should be plowed under and the earth salted above its remains.

But, of course, my beloved Volunteers will be in the Rose Bowl this week playing ping pong with the poor schmoes of UCLA's defensive line. What fun that will be!

Since this is the first football season in my adult life where I'm not working, I may actually try to get to some games this year. If I make it to the Michigan game, I'll be sure to take lots of pictures so you can share in the experience.

Wuss. Go Utah!

Ol' 61

Registered
Reaction score
"Wonder what the mood in Ann Arbor would be like if the Wolverines lost two straight home openers?"

I'll let you know when I go to work the Monday after! My guess--Donors, alumni, booster clubs--they'll all start calling for a refund!

Haggis--have you seen what they've done to the Big House? It's ugly while under construction, and I can't see it ever becoming a thing of beauty.

Cecilia

Ol' 61

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I went to John Marshall, too! Granted it was probably a different HS in a totally different state, but still. We're sort of alumni.

We were the Eagles.

Wow. That John Marshall guy really got around, didn't he?

And your team has a waaaayyyy better name than ours. But that's probably because my favorite band is The Eagles, and I still harbor a teenaged crush on one of their guitar-players not named Walsh!

<Slinks off to the Old Farts thread in historical writing....>

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
"Wonder what the mood in Ann Arbor would be like if the Wolverines lost two straight home openers?"

I'll let you know when I go to work the Monday after! My guess--Donors, alumni, booster clubs--they'll all start calling for a refund!

Haggis--have you seen what they've done to the Big House? It's ugly while under construction, and I can't see it ever becoming a thing of beauty.

Cecilia

My work is very close to the stadium, so, yes, I've seen the chaos. We've got another couple of years to deal with it too. But, hey. Michigan values having the largest stadium, and it will be again, very, very soon. At least until they decide to rebuild in Happy Valley. :D

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget tomorrow night (Thursday) it's USC (University of South Carolina) vs NC State...like State has a chance :) I have to root for USC b/c my half brother and sister go there!! Of course I will ALWAYS pull for the Tarheels!!!

I can't believe college football season is here :)

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The wait is over! Starting TODAY it is offically COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON!!!!!!

*cues playlist with fight songs*

South Carolina versus NC State. The ol' ball coach is in hot water in Columbia--his Gamecocks have never lived up to his reputation. But, NC State has fallen far from the elite program that nurtured Phil Rivers for four years. Shouldn't be a problem for SC--their offense has too many options for NC State to cover.

USC 27 NC State 10

DON'T FORGET!

University of Miami (Ohio) versus Vanderbilt-- Vanderbilt's great team of a year ago graduated way too many seniors, while Miami continues to hover halfway between obscurity and elite. Miami's high-powered offense will make mincemeat of the non-existent bottom-feeding Vanderbilt secondary. Beware the blowout!

UoM-Ohio 42 Vanderbilt 17

I love college football.

Bayou Bill

AW Ne'er-Do-Well
Registered
Reaction score
Website
billsbilge.blogspot.com
Well, whatever happened to the new thread? I never saw it and was all ready to port it here, to the SPORTS forum.

"The Mad Mover" is hungry, so please by all means give him a reason to eat.

Thank you.

TMM
Seemed pretty pointless when you did the same thing to the Olympic thread you did to this one. :e2shrug:

Enjoy your power.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled posting.

Let the (college football) games begin!

Last edited:

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget tomorrow night (Thursday) it's USC (University of South Carolina) vs NC State

Oh, Puhlease!! We face the real USC on Saturday! At least it's at Scott Stadium.

::begins nailbiting::

Hey, Hey UVA!!! Wahoo-wa!!

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
COLLEGE FOOTBALL STARTS TODAY

YAY!!! I am soooooo excited. Mscelina..I LOVE college football!!!

Go Tarheels!!!

crimsonlaw

Roll Tide Roll!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes! Only a few more hours until all is right with the world and college football is officially back in our lives! What a beautiful freaking day!

I can never take a vacation on Labor Day weekend because it always seems to clash with the start of the season. And it's not like I can relax this weekend. Using every ounce of your being to help will your team to victory is hard work! College football fans deserve an extra day off!

All I can say is that this is one of the best weekends of the year. I'm so excited. I get to spend Saturday evening screaming and cheering on the greatest college football program, with 12 National Championships, 21 SEC Championships, more than 30 bowl victories, over 100 First Team All-Americans and almost 800 victories!

ROLL TIDE!!!

Oh, to sing Rammer Jammer in the Georgia Dome again! What a great weekend it would be! Sigh...

I would like the record to reflect, however, that I will be pulling for UCLA to lose to that awful team north of us that wears the hideous orange uniforms and plays that blasted song 400 times a game. As much as I enjoy watching teams in orange suffer, I love watching the SEC dominate the other conferences. I can't suppress my gag reflex enough to actually cheer for these unmentionable teams, of course, but I don't wish anything bad upon them while they play out of conference.

I just hope I'm this happy come Saturday night. Roll Tide everyone! Roll Tide!

mscelina

Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
*grin*

crimsonlaw you realize, of course, why Florida is still part of the continent?

Because Alabama sucks sooooooooooooooooooooo bad.

GO VOLS!

But I'm still taking Bama over Clemson. Clemson's hype seems a bit extreme for me and if 'Bama wants to prove its reemergence onto the national scene this is the game where it has to do it.

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Let's not forget about tomorrow!! The Tarheels play McNeese state--should be pretty easy but the coache's set schedules years in advance. So, I just go with it and hope for the best.

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
You're right Bill this is in the bowels of the forum, but if you painted, put in a beer fridge, and put up some nice posters it be a nice place to hang out in.

This is a nice one:
natlchamp_logo.jpg

And the invasion of crazed football fans begin! :popcorn: ETA: (I live in Gainesville. Game day weekends are a zoo.)

Last edited:

Writer2011

Registered
Reaction score
Well beach bunny..I have to admit I like the Gators because I also like the SEC next to the ACC of course :)