• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Algonkian Writer Conferences / WebDelSol

Deleted member 42

harrisjh

Please do not have your email address in public like that.

It's not a good idea. Please edit it out or at least mask it by inserting AT instead of @.

It's really a bad idea. Really.

Moreover, it's not necessary; I assure you that any Web user of any site leaves a trail of breadcrumbs; no site needs more information than that.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Somewhere in the thread, way back, I think it was mentioned that the conference was somehow the gatekeeper to submitting your manuscript. All of us got an email with all the editors contacts and who wanted to see what. The caveat was, do not email the editors that didn't want to see your project.

Just out of curiosity, how is this conference being a 'gatekeeper' to submitting your manuscript a good thing? Why add another level of gatekeeping to the industry, or pay to attend a gatekeeping conference when you can submit for free? I can go to any conference, pitch an editor or agent, and submit my manuscript for free. This is neither unique nor comprehensive, hands-on, insider advice. This is just common sense.

*shrug*

This doesn't detract from the enjoyment factor of the conference. Any time writers get together is a lot of fun and can provide valuable information.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Okay Francis Bruno, kick me for getting involved in this. I should probably just stay out of it, since the last time I wrote on here and said I enjoyed the Algonkian conferences I was blasted and called a "sock puppet."
I suppose now everyone can bring on the name calling...

Mac has already said what I would have, but since I'm the one who said it, let me just explain. My point was that since you said you weren't coming back, there was little point in my taking the time to respond to your comments. Period. YOU called yourself a "dive-by" and said you would not be back. Sorry if I insulted you by repeating your own words back to you, or by deciding not to challenge or question your statements since you claimed you were not interested in being part of a dialogue. But to claim I "blasted" you with the line Mac quoted above is either disingenuous in the extreme, or shows you to be extremely sensitive.

For those who are interested---I was recently invited to speak at Michael Neff's conference. (Which is named for a park in Virginia where the workshops were originally held, by the way)

I knew very little about him, and so searched for him and found this posting. Immediately I put out an all points bulletin to people I knew who were also invited to speak and/or people who would know him better. I said I was leery of him because of what I had read here. The responses I got from people I trust were vehement in his defense. So much so, that I felt terrible for having doubted him in the first place. (Hence this public note.)

Can you please show me one place in this thread where anyone has said anything negative about Mr. Neff's intelligence or accused him of scamming people, or of being untrustworthy? Just one, is fine.

I can show you lots of quotes where we've said the opposite. I can show you lots of quotes from myself personally saying "I'm sure he's very intelligent and sincere etc. etc.," and that "Not one person here believes the conferences aren't sincerely trying to help people or that the organizers aren't working hard for the attendees." (Those are both paraphrases, but I can find you the exact quotes easily.)

(By the way, the Algonkian name has already been discussed in detail in this thread, and the reason for it well-established.)

Here are the people who absolutely vouch for him, his work, his integrity and his conference: Elizabeth Pomada and Laurie McLean of Larsen-Pomada Literary Agency and Jane Friedman of F&W Publishers. I ended up apologizing to Michael for having doubted him, and am happy to be speaking at his conference taking place in Corte Madera, California, on July 31, 2011.

And here in this thread are people who have not questioned his integrity. So? I have lots and lots of industry professionals who can vouch for my integrity, too, as do all of the other posters in this thread.

Also Red Hen Press which published Michael's book, Year of the Rhinoceros, is indeed a legitimate press.

FFS. Where did I say it wasn't legitimate? Where did I make any sort of judgment about it at all, except to say that it requires writers to pay to submit (which is true) and that is not how commercial publishing works (which is also true)?

What have I learned from this? We clearly need to check not only what's being said about publishers, agents, conference organizers, etc. but then double check that the credentials of those who badmouth them and/or praise them also hold up to scrutiny.

Indeed. Would you like to check the credentials of those posting in this thread, who believe the Algonkian conferences are unnecessary and a waste of money in general?

(Forgive me if I leave some things out. I'm unfortunately not an expert in any of their careers, so I this is just off of the top of my head.)

There's me. Publishing with small presses since 2006 (nine novels). Six novels currently out with two different NY houses (not including HarperUK, Amber Poland, and Egmont Lyx Germany), with whom I've been working since 2008. Three more under contract. My agent works for one of the most highly-regarded agencies in NY. I'm happy to provide you a list of his other clients should you deem it necessary.

Hapi-Sofi is an acquiring editor for a NY house.

Priceless1 is the acquiring editor for a small independent publisher, much like the ones who've published your own books, Ms. Davis.

Medievalist has so many degrees they fall out all over the floor if you hold her upside down, including at least one Ph.D. In addition to her academic qualifications she's worked in and around commercial publishing in many different areas for about twenty years, if memory serves.

Old Hack has also worked in commercial publishing for about that long.

Jim Macdonald has been NY-published for so long I don't think anyone can remember a time when he wasn't. He's been an instructor at Viable Paradise, among other places. I don't think there's a person in the writing community who doesn't regard him highly, and consider him an expert in commercial publishing (and publishing in general).

Ice Cream Empress has been working as a freelance editor for years (both independently and with NY publishers) and is a commercially published nonfiction author of some acclaim, if memory serves.

Sheryl Nantus is multipublished in fantasy with several other respected small presses.

Again, I may be leaving some things out; this is just from memory. And I may have left some commenters out, in which case feel free to jump in. I'm sure any of these people would be very happy to elaborate further should you feel their credentials prove them unworthy to express an opinion on the subject of preparing oneself for NY commercial publishing.

In fact, you should check my credentials. I trust you will find them legitimate.

Thank you for your time,

Patricia V. Davis
editor-in-chief, HS Radio e-magazine
author of the upcoming The Diva Doctrine:16 Universal Principles Every Woman Needs to Know (May 2011 Cedar Fort Press)

Of course they're legitimate. I see three non-fiction sales to some good small presses, a master's degree and a lot of work in teaching, and that you run an e-magazine and a webshow. You sound like a very busy lady, and I'm sure a talented and intelligent one. No one is disputing that, and I'm certainly not going to make disparaging comments about you or your credentials (the way you did with regards to us and ours, really, but I'll assume you didn't intend to belittle us all with your "check the credentials of those who badmouth them" comment).

In short, there's about a hundred years' worth of combined commercial publishing experience, from all different areas of the business, in this thread, all of which is saying that the Algonkian conferences are not going to give anyone a special edge towards being commercially published.

I'd like to welcome you to AW, Ms. Davis, and say I hope you stick around and join in some of our other discussions. As has been pointed out, this particular forum is for background checks, and often seems rather contentious; you won't find discussions like that elsewhere, and we're generally a fun, friendly bunch of people.

Last edited:

francisbruno

New Member; Teach Me About Thick Skin!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.francisbruno.com
Just out of curiosity, how is this conference being a 'gatekeeper' to submitting your manuscript a good thing?

Sorry, Either I am missing what you are writing or you missed what I meant.

It's not a good thing. The other post said that Algonkian was a gatekeeper. My point is that they are not. I guess you could view getting the email with the contact information as "gatekeeping" but it was explained that some of the editors would take a few days to decide if they wanted to hear back from an attendee.

My view is that at the end of the conference you got a list of all the editors, contacts and who wanted to see your work. (some of this was before the end of the conference, a some editors didn't make the decision for a week after.)
The only caveat being that you should not contact an editor on the list directly who did not request your submission.

Again, I'm sorry, but I think we crossed wires somewhere and this clears it up.

Back to the fun.... (No dead horse puns now, need to think of something new, but I've got to get my daughter to bed.)

harrijsh

Registered
Reaction score
Continuing on

I really don't mind for those emails to be posted and anyone may feel free to use them...they are readily available on our school's website so anyone can find them :p
Also, I suppose my meaning was mistook in my original post where I said it was my first and only post; I was trying to say that it was my first post on this forum and you wouldn't find any more from me...as of yet.
I wasn't trying to say I would never come back, but more just wanted to point out that I wasn't familiar with this site, nor was I a regular...I suppose that could have been gathered below my name.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I really don't mind for those emails to be posted and anyone may feel free to use them...they are readily available on our school's website so anyone can find them :p

Um, I'd do what Medievalist suggests. She's trying to protect you from spambots.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Also, I suppose my meaning was mistook in my original post where I said it was my first and only post; I was trying to say that it was my first post on this forum and you wouldn't find any more from me...as of yet.
I wasn't trying to say I would never come back, but more just wanted to point out that I wasn't familiar with this site, nor was I a regular...I suppose that could have been gathered below my name.

We just don't want you to get spammed half to death - and web-scrapers will pick up emails posted in clear, like that, pretty fast.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
... last time I wrote on here and said I enjoyed the Algonkian conferences I was blasted and called a "sock puppet."
That was incorrect. Gur nccebcevngr grez vf "zrng chccrg."

You're saying that last time you were here it was to defend Algonkian, and this time you're here to defend Algonkian, but it's wrong of us to think you only come here when Michael Neff calls out the troops, and we're to think of you as being exactly like any other pseudonymous mote who happens by to say approving things about Algonkian workshops.

Are you by any chance in the habit of thinking that other people are stupid?
I just want to be on the record for saying that I-who am a living, breathing person and live on the other side of the country from Michael Neff-enjoyed the conferences.
Nobody's said it wasn't possible to enjoy it. It's clear that Francis Bruno had an excellent time there. Thing is, that's not the issue. Do you not know your basic online etiquette? Read the thread before you post comments.
I don't understand why people who have actually been to these conferences and gotten real advice by real editors--
Is that how it works? Harrijsh, today is your lucky day! You're getting real advice from a real acquiring editor at a real NYC publishing house at this very moment!

Feel free to genuflect in front of my posts as you read through the thread.
--see Francis's post on the editors at the NYC Pitch and Shop--can't write that on here without being insulted or made to feel like we are stupid.
Vide supra.
And yes it makes me feel insulted when I get called names like "sock puppet."
Unzfgre. Ryqreoreevrf.
I am not an author you can find at Barnes and Noble (yet)
The question of your publication history is orthogonal both to the matters you're complaining about, and to the actual issues that are being discussed here.

Some of the writers here do get shelved at Barnes & Noble. Some, not yet. Some get credited in the frontmatter. Some are the eternally uncredited freelancers without whom publishing could not function. At least one (probably more) is an academic who can kill you with her brain. And then there are the interesting ones. There's a wide range.

If you want to be shown respect, show respect in turn.
but I'm smart enough to know what works for me and what doesn't and what I like and what I don't like.
And who has said otherwise?

Let me guess: Neff's email just told you to come here and say what a swell time you had at the pitch conference. He didn't warn you that there's a serious conversation going on.
I know that by attending the pitch and shop I've had contact with Akashic books, Penguin, and St. Martin's Press --
That's nice. Stick with Penguin and SMP. Akashic's scrappy, but it doesn't doesn't have a standard distribution deal.
and also spoken with an agent in DC.
Why, so can I, and so can any man. The question is, what did you you guys say to each other?
I've also received countless and invaluable help//advice from both Michael Neff and Robert Bausch after the conferences, which was a lot of time I didn't pay for.
I take it this means Michael Neff hasn't read the thread either? His name has certainly come up, but he's not the central issue.
In addition, Algonkian offers significant discounts for writers who have already attended one conference, (not all the conferences are the same.) This makes me believe they aren't just about the money, but genuinely trying to help people.
Clearly, I'm making a mistake in talking to you for free. Where should I send my bill?
In answering the question "Was it worth my money?" For me, yes it was.
Fine. You think it was worth the expense. That's very nice. Now read the thread and find out what's actually being discussed.

Last edited:

harrijsh

Registered
Reaction score
LOL. Thanks :) I'll do a quick edit...hate to put our CT guy at work and spam filter outta service though!

Deleted member 42

Please take me seriously.

You should never do this. If your school Webmaster is doing this, it is less than wise; there are three very simple, easy, ways to mask an email address to avoid it being gleaned.

Think about how much data is associated with an email address. Think how often logins are made with an email address. Why make it easy for spammers to send you malware? Make it not worth their effort.

Last edited by a moderator:

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
So here's a question for you, harrijsh, when I go poking into your IP address and registration email, is the trail of breadcrumbs going to lead me straight back to WebDelSol/Algonkian, yet again? TamaraL's does. BobDenny's does. rc418's does. How about yours?

Ghod, how I loathe the Algonkian threads.
Such wickedness. And on top of that, they get indignant at us for noticing.

IIRC, Michael Neff first came to my attention during the Pitchbitch flap, when she started a fake "publishing advice from an industry insider" blog that proved to actually be a promotional site for the NYC Pitch Conferences. Pitchbitch herself turned out to be all attitude and zero expertise -- she'd never been near the industry. Neff jumped in to defend her. He was a real sleazeball about it.

I know the company I keep here. I'm proud to be associated with it.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Would you believe I'm genuinely disappointed to learn that BobDenny's breadcrumbs lead straight back to Algonkian/Web Del Sol?

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Please take me seriously.

You should never do this. If your school Webmaster is doing this, it is less than wise; there are three very simple, easy, ways to mask an email address to avoid it being gleaned.

Think about how much data is associated with an email address. Think how often logins are made with an email address. Why make it easy for spammers to send you malware? Make it not worth their effort.
You're such a hard case. No matter how irritating harrijsh is being, you want to save him from his own imprudence.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would you believe I'm genuinely disappointed to learn that BobDenny's breadcrumbs lead straight back to Algonkian/Web Del Sol?

If he's one of their instructors, I guess that isn't surprising. (?) (I admit I have no idea how breadcrumbs etc work.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com

He said he's associated with Algonkian/WebDelSol, and you're disappointed because this turns out to be the case? Say what?

("Breadcrumbs" is an unfortunate way to put it; I don't know exactly what's meant by the term.)

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am not okay with post 159. Respect your fellow writer. As of this writing, Harrijsh is a member of good standing on this board. Whatever you think of his/her position or suspect of his/her motives, I hope our primary rule is still in play here.

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, GB, I've obfuscated the technical terminology.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
For the love of Benji.

It's almost impossible to put a bunch of writers into a room for a weekend without them having a good time and learning something.

And given that this is a high-profile site and there are hundreds of writers who've gone to these conferences, had a good time, and learned something, it would beggar belief if some of them didn't show up to say, "Hey, wait a minute! I went to one, had a good time, and learned something!"

There's no need to assume that Michael Neff sent secret emails to his zombie army to call out the troops.

As it happens, I think that the Algonkian/WebDelSol/Pitch&Shop advertising is scummy. Pitching is very likely a useless skill. The only difference between "literary" fiction and "genre" fiction is the publisher's logo on the spine. But that's okay. If I put together a writers' weekend that focused on toenail-painting as the secret key to getting published, even if I charged an exorbitant fee, a whole bunch of writers would show up. And I promise that they would have a good time, and learn something. Through conversations in the halls if no other way. And if, later, someone somewhere said, "That Jim Macdonald is a total sleaze! Toenail-painting has nothing whatever to do with selling a book!" with no action on my part a pile of them would appear to say, "I had a good time and learned something!" and at least one or two would say, "I painted my toenails and my book sold, so there!"

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Jim, it's embarrassing to have to say this, but I've got a lurker in email.

I don't know her in person, but we've been desultorily exchanging correspondence for a while through AW. Most recently, she told me that since she's posted a negative review of an Algonkian conference -- not long or flamingly denunciatory, I gather, but she didn't like it and didn't think it was a good value -- she's been getting fried by Algonkien supporters. She's not the sort who deals well with online conflict, so she's figuratively curled up in her burrow and isn't coming out.

This was some days ago. The reason I'm mentioning it is that she told me a workshop buddy had forwarded her an email the friend had received from Michael Neff, encouraging the friend to go post counter-arguments to the review.

I made what I thought was the obvious suggestion -- that she should reproduce in public and in full the letter her friend had forwarded to her -- but she says the whole episode gives her stomach pains when she thinks about it. It's her decision.

So anyway, there's that story.

It doesn't seem to me that the behavior of some of the recent arrivals matches your scenario. if this were all word of mouth, they'd be doing more talking between themselves. They'd also do more looking around when they got here, before they started posting. Instead, what I'm seeing are people arriving with the action they're going to take already in mind. Meanwhile, I'm not seeing shreds, loose threads, and trailing remnants of any recent conversations they've been having with each other elsewhere.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The reason I'm mentioning it is that she told me a workshop buddy had forwarded her an email the friend had received from Michael Neff, encouraging the friend to go post counter-arguments to the review.

Alas. If someone were to forward me this letter, I'd be fascinated to see it.

But! I too have a lurker who has asked to be informed the minute I schedule the toenail-painting conference so she can sign up.

If I had the cash to hire a ballroom in a NYC hotel and buy a full-page ad in Writer's Disgust, it would be so on.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
*scratches head*

I'm just an old broad and all, but it seems to me pretty simple.

There are a whole lot of books, conferences and seminars out there who can help you better your writing skills.

But no matter how many books you buy or how many seminars and conferences you attend, the only one who can write your book is YOU. And the only one who can sell your book is YOU.

All the books/conferences/etc. can only give you the tools. What you do with them is your choice and your decision.

Spend your money on these resources, but spend wisely - and see through the inevitable hype that is a part of the world these days, grandiose promises that may not be realistic, but are pretty common in every field.

jmo.

*waddles back to chair to get back to writing*

MikeGrant

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, someone in an earlier post recommended against finding a freelance editor pre-agent submission. I think that is bad advice. If you are serious, you'll make the investment. Learning how to "self-edit" as the commenter suggested is necessary, but only as a pre-cursor to having a non-self-editor (ha) help you afterward.

And I think that that is bad advice.

Hiring a freelance editor pre-agent-submission is a waste of time and money. I absolutely recommend against it.

The word for edited slush is "slush." And the words in a cover letter, "This work has been professionally edited," is guaranteed to make any agent's or editor's heart sink.

I agree with... *drum roll*... James.

Editing well is one of the most valuable skills a writer needs to learn. Even the best freelance editor can't polish someone else's turd.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It's great to hear from people who have enjoyed the Algonkian Writer Conferences events, either as instructor or learner, particularly where those folks share specifics of what made these events enjoyable or worthwhile for them. That provides useful data points to help others decide whether this would be a good choice for them. Thanks so much to those of you who took the time to do that.

Similarly, if people want to share their experiences of having attended the events or participated in them as instructors and didn't enjoy them, their specifics will also be helpful to other folks considering attending.

I haven't attended any of this organization's events, though I have attended other writers' conferences and workshops (and I am not employed by or an instructor at any organization that presents such events, I hasten to add). From my own experience as a writer and as a non-profit communications consultant, I have some issues with some of the statements made in AWC's marketing copy and some of the marketing strategies used in the past by some employees of the concern; I hope I shared those clearly and specifically in this thread, as others have also done.

Ultimately, everyone needs to choose the professional events that are the best matches for their goals, their learning styles, and their pocketbooks. Doing research to evaluate the upsides and downsides of each event and event organizer is a key piece of making this work, and I would encourage everyone to take that research process beyond just reading marketing copy and taking it at face value (which I think goes for every choice about spending money for goods or services, from enrolling at Yale to buying a Volvo to choosing Tide laundry detergent).

HapiSofi

Registered
Reaction score
Alas. If someone were to forward me this letter, I'd be fascinated to see it.
As would I, if it were forwarded to me.

You and I have never lied to each other, and I haven't gotten the impression that my correspondent is anywhere near crazy enough to be making it all up. I'll have to make do with that.
But! I too have a lurker who has asked to be informed the minute I schedule the toenail-painting conference so she can sign up.
Sign me up!

...No, hold it. An old conversation just floated up out of the murky depths of memory. Is this conference idea an excuse to finally indulge your long-held ambition to construct an entire miniature model railway layout on someone's fingernails?
If I had the cash to hire a ballroom in a NYC hotel and buy a full-page ad in Writer's Disgust, it would be so on.
You know people would come. Toenail-painting distance is perfect for conversation, and we could all talk writing and publishing while we waited for it to dry.

But no matter what we did, I'm sure we'd have a fine time. Why? Because we were made to know and love the good; and if you're a writer, which we all are, getting together with other writers to talk shop is good.

Last edited: