The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Spectrum Literary Agency

bedazzled /bootay shaker!! xiaotien's Avatar

Spectrum Literary Agency

i couldn't find a thread on her?!

snail mail query with first chapter
    on 2/11/08.

form R via SASE on 7/26/08.

Silver Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 4/09)

Fury of the Ph0enix (Greenwi11ow: 3/11)

Diverse 3nergies anthology (Tu B00ks: 10/12)

visit my website :
    paint & prose

my brush art at etsy!

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment astonwest's Avatar
    Good to know...I just sent out a query to her last week...

Big Daddy West
    Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
    I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Adding link: http://www.spectrumliteraryagency.com/

- Victoria

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriastrauss View Post
    I see some info on Justin Bell on their web site, but I can't find him on Agent Query, Querytracker or any of the other agent-related sites. Anybody have any info?

figuring it all out
    I must be getting old. He looks 16 in the website's pic.
    Rest in peace Don LaFontaine, the real movie announcer guy. Can you imagine the symphony of Don, James Earl Jones and Charlton Heston having a conversation?

figuring it all out
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy View Post
    I must be getting old. He looks 16 in the website's pic.
    I was thinking the same thing, but didn't want to say it. You never know how things might end up

Expert Procrastinator AlterEgox5's Avatar
    Just to give this thread an update should anyone else wander in here.

I queried Ms. Wood October 2, received my SASE with form rejection December 21.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgox5 View Post
    Just to give this thread an update should anyone else wander in here.

I queried Ms. Wood October 2, received my SASE with form rejection December 21.
    Thanks for posting, I guess my R is due anytime too, I queried around mid-October.

Update: Came in on 2/3/10... that was quite a long time!
    Last edited by sciri; 02-04-2010 at 03:13 AM.

Me love books much
    Sent off a snail mail query to Ms. Wood today. The site warns that it can take 1-3 months for a response. Doh.

Getting back up again Dawnny Baby's Avatar
    I sent off a snail mail w/ a SASE (and, I think, my first 50...? whatever was requested on their website) in mid-November. Have heard bupkus since. Don't hold them to 3 months. They must be swamped! (Or my letter was lost in MailLand.)

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin rperkins's Avatar
    Dawnny, I queried Ms Wood via snail mail on November 7, and I haven't heard anything back yet either. If sciri's experience is any indication we could be waiting another month before we get word. Sometimes I wish patience was my strong suit.

Queried by snail mail 11/30/09, haven't heard a thing since. I mean, how much energy does it take to scrawl "No" on my query letter, stuff it in my SASE and drop it in the outgoing mail?

Well, they must have read the complaints they weren't even courteous enough to bother sending a refusal, because I just sent them the (required) snail mail query, which was, from the speed in which a generic form letter refusal returned to me, instantly stuffed into the SASE return and mailed back to me.

Their reply said they were not taking on new clients, so I'd not waste my time with this one. In addition, you have to waste postage costs sending the SASE and your initial query...

When I queried them last summer, my SASE came back in a month or so, with the same form reject you got.

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    I wouldn't be surprised that Spectrum is swamped, and extremely selective. They are one of the biggest agencies around, particularly if you are writing in the SF field. Their list of authors and authors' estates is like a "Who's Who" of famous SF writers.

It was the first agency I tried with my shiny new MS. You know, the MS we all look back on and go "why didn't I know then what I know now?" I got a quick rejection. They don't do YA novels. Even if they did, I suspect the result would have been the same.

Too true. Sadly, what "choosy" means is "New author? Outta-here." Oh well: facts of life.

Worth trying once, since, indeed, Spectrum is one of the few with the big name sci fi client list. Now on to hungrier agents, hopefully. We'll become rich and famous together (I'm smiling).

Oops... forgot to quote... my "too true" was about previous comment re Spectrum being swamped.

Got the hang of it, here tbrosz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dlparker View Post
    Too true. Sadly, what "choosy" means is "New author? Outta-here." Oh well: facts of life.
    I'm sure there's some of that, but from my research even the most successful agencies are always on the lookout for the "next big thing." When I look at debut authors in the "new deals" section of Publishers Marketplace, I have noticed that many of them are signed up with large and established agencies.

Just got a rejection about a week and a half short of a year after I mailed it. That's got to be a personal record. Still, it's better than the ones who never reply.
    The Animals Behaving Badly book is out! They're not as cute as they want you to think.
    http://animalsbehavingbadly.blogspot.com