The Big Thread of Questions about Agents

whose life would you rather write about?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, you can do everything at a remove.

The only drawback to this -- and it's a not insignificant one -- is that it significantly reduces the opportunities for your publisher and agent to buy you drinks...

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just for clarity, I'm gonna merge this with the Agent Questions sticky. Good luck, Darizan and welcome to AW!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just so everyone knows, I just created up at the top of the board a sticky for all questions about agents and agenting (and no, you didn't put this thread in the wrong place, I just decided to merge all these agent threads for clarity :) )

As you were!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just merging with the Big Thread of Questions about Agents :) Welcome to AW!

illiterwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Now, if the agent wanted a copy of the changes at the same time the author received theirs, well that might be okay, don't you think?
Tri

Well, my agent did ask to see my editor's initial changes/comments about my ms this time around, but that was because of an initial lack of confidence (new editor, minimal comments/suggestions from her) & other issues we were having with my publisher at that time (lots of upheaval & changes). However, I forgot to send them, and she hasn't asked since.

I know that my agent generally has no interest in seeing the nitty-gritty details of edits. She also doesn't have much time for that, since I'm not her only client.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
Now, if the agent wanted a copy of the changes at the same time the author received theirs, well that might be okay, don't you think?
It's unusual, Tri. Agents just don't have that kind of time. They know the editor's work (or they should either by experience or hearsay), so there's really no reason for their involvement at the editing stage. Even when an agent submits to a publisher for the first time, the good agents do a lot of asking around and investigating. After all, it's their job to protect their clients' works. And in so doing, they're also protecting their reputation, which is gold in this industry.

Well, my agent did ask to see my editor's initial changes/comments about my ms this time around, but that was because of an initial lack of confidence (new editor, minimal comments/suggestions from her) & other issues we were having with my publisher at that time (lots of upheaval & changes).
Sure, I could see a case for this if, say, the original editor left and your ms was assigned to someone else who wasn't familiar to your agent. That's being a good agent because she's protecting you. Brava!

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! It just took my half an hour to find this. I searched the last 3 pages of each forum that I posted in today to look for it and then used the actual 'search' function. Whew! Well, I made it here at last so that's all that matter I guess.

I'm impressed with the number of authors who have not personally met their agent. I had this picture in mind of the author and agent sitting opposite each other at a table in an outdoor restaurant with the manuscript lying on the table between them..........

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Thanks for the replies! It just took my half an hour to find this. I searched the last 3 pages of each forum that I posted in today to look for it and then used the actual 'search' function. Whew! Well, I made it here at last so that's all that matter I guess.

I'm impressed with the number of authors who have not personally met their agent. I had this picture in mind of the author and agent sitting opposite each other at a table in an outdoor restaurant with the manuscript lying on the table between them..........
I've done that with my agent, and she's on the east coast and I'm in Arizona. But it doesn't happen every time. :D

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Sorry! :e2smack: I got all modly and did some rearranging this afternoon. Quick AW tip, when you start a thread, subscribe so you can easily check for updates by clicking your User Cp button up in the left corner of your screen.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry! :e2smack: I got all modly and did some rearranging this afternoon. Quick AW tip, when you start a thread, subscribe so you can easily check for updates by clicking your User Cp button up in the left corner of your screen.

No prob.

And thanks for the tip!

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Yeah, that's what I figured. I don't plan to be a difficult author in any way. I'm of the opinion that anything can be improved by a judicious edit. However, I haven't seen the edits yet.
Editors are pretty smart and usually reasonable people. For most of the stuff they want to change usually there's a good reason. Even if you don't agree with them, you can see their point, and sometimes they turn out to be right and you wrong.

The problem comes when it's something that impacts the entire book. Suppose you are writing a mystery and the editor strongly feels it's too confusing, and wants you to spell things out more clearly, or provide stronger clues. But you feel equally strongly doing that would make the ending all too obvious and completely ruin the book.

Then, there's a potential problem.

Rob Brown

Registered
Reaction score
In most cases you won't need a bio until you have an agent. Your bio should only pertain educational background and things that might pertain to writing (English major, MFA with concentration on fiction, if that's what you write. Or you won a national award like the Rita or Edgar, etc.)

If this is your first novel and you have no publishing credits, everything can go in your query letter as well as your educational creds. If you have a long publishing history with multiple successes (large number of books sold). If you're a celebrity with a national audience, then you might need a bio, but in most cases everything can go in your query.

Bio is used mostly for non-fiction authors as a part of a non-fiction proposal. Agents who deal primarily with non-fiction are usually the ones who insist on bios. Most of the rest of us just have writers put that information in their query.

hammerklavier

It was a dark and stormy night
Registered
Reaction score
Is agentquery.com it?

Does agentquery.com have listings for 95% of the US agents... or are there some other good places to find additional agents?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Queries and the Next Step

OK. This is hypothetical. You start with an email query, often with an attached synopsis and first 5 pages or so.

Fine.

Then suppose an agent asks to see, oh, I don't know, the full MS.

Do you hit reply and attach the MS. to the reply with a what?

RE: Submission
Dear Agent,
Here is the requested MS. Hope you like it?

Or do you send a brand new, unused email with that same sort of body copy?

Thanks.

Purely hypothetical, of course.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Oh, yes, the hypothetical MS. for the hypothetical situation is finished, completed, and gone through 12 hypothetical revisions.

This hypothetical writer just read the hypothetical email a few hypothetical minutes ago and thinks he wants to have a few hypothetical celebratory alcoholic beverages then send off the hypothetical response in the morning.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
I'd hypothetically send the email off quickly. Then I'd call my friends to the hypothetical bar and buy a hypothetical round.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
Er, why would sending it the same day make you look obsessive?

Status
Not open for further replies.