• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Atlantic Publishing Group (formerly Atlantic Publishing Co.)

TrixieBelden

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone care to share an opinion on Atlantic Publishing?
http://www.atlantic-pub.com/

If you had a piece of work published by them would it be advantageous to list it on your resume etc?

I read an opinion elsewhere that stated they were only a rung above self published books and admitting to publishing with them is literary suicide.

Thoughts?

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Looks to me like nothing has an ISBN and I don't see them as being a "bookstore" kind of publisher as it's all "how to" manuals, it would seem. I supposed it might be a way to make some money, but do they have a distribution system for their product other than a HUGE php-based content management system on the web? Who do they sell to? Know anyone who has bought one of their books. Their notice to authors seems to suggest they're not looking for experts and frankly, if you're doing a "how to" book, it generally helps to have some serious knowledge and credibility about your subject matter.

I would avoid, but then I am in Saskatchewan, it's 35 Celsius and it's harvest time.

Last edited:

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Atlantic Publishing Company

Anyone have experience with Atlantic Publishing?
Their post on freelance writing gigs last week asked for writers to complete novels. Pay is between $500-$1800. You have to bid on the book you're interested in.

First, I'm wondering why the original authors never completed the novels,; then I'm thinking maybe they buy up incompleted novels and complete them for half the cost? I was going to put these questions to them directly, but thought I'd ask here first if anyone had experience with them - are they reputable? Pay promptly? That sort of thing.

thanks in advance ...

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Mela,

Is this the company you are inquiring about?

http://www.atlantic-pub.com/howto.htm

If it is, then fiction is a new venture for them, as up till now their focus is on non fiction with a heavy push on business titles and fast turn round. They would appeal far more to someone with specific book projects, and don't seem like the kind of publisher you would send a first time author to, or indeed someone without a solid legal and business background.

The idea of 'bidding' for a novel to complete it which someone else has left uncompleted seems odd, and there would be a serious question mark as to how the 'novel' was bought/acquired and who owns the copyright now, and who will own the copyright of the completed book.

All choppy waters, and sounds like it's not for the faint-hearted. For any author considering this kind of 'publishing venture' is they do not have sound business and experience of publishing books.

Last edited:

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
As I understand it, they own everything - you get your name on the book and that's it - no royalties. My thought was that it would be a good way to learn the business. On the other hand, on top of a full-time job, it would be a load of hard work. The non-fiction book that they want me to bid on is barely half-way completed and they're telling me they believe it needs a total rewrite (which, on first glance, I would agree with).
So I'm still up in the air, but truth be told, after this and other posts, and speaking with people in the industry, leaning towards not doing it. It sounds like a book mill and it would be very difficult for me to meet their turn-around without having a nervous breakdown.
I just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this company.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Mela,

I think your instinct is right. This publisher is simply a corporate author/book mill that would eat you and your time alive!

There are better and more rewarding ways to writing and publishing a book.

Good luck with your endeavours.

Mick.

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Mick. I just emailed them asking why they had so many unfinished books (like, 50 of them). They couldn't give me a straight answer on that but did tell me their turn-around time is 90 days!!
I said thanks, but no thanks.
And yes, I do have better ways to spend my time.

RHQ

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.redheadedquilter.com
A friend of mine just finished writing a book for them. The time line was tight, but she only works part time so she managed it. I'm unemployed right now, and I just e-mailed off my contract to them. I'll be writing a 65,000 word non-fiction book in the next 90+ days.

For me personally, it beats working at a fast food joint and it is one more publishing credit. I have heard from a reliable source that they do a very good job of selling and promoting their books, but frankly, once I get paid, I won't care what they do with it since there are no royalties.

WriteUR

Registered
Reaction score
Beware of this "writer's mill"

Thanks Mick. I just emailed them asking why they had so many unfinished books (like, 50 of them). They couldn't give me a straight answer on that but did tell me their turn-around time is 90 days!!
I said thanks, but no thanks.
And yes, I do have better ways to spend my time.

The reason why they have so many unfinished books is because hardly anyone sticks around long enough to complete a project. (Ever notice that they're constantly placing ads on journalism sites, trolling for writers?) The company misleads writers about the scope and complexity of the projects, then, once they hook them, they ride them into the dirt. They assign books that require such a mind-boggling amount of writing and research (20,000 words in three weeks...that's diabolical!) that even seasoned writers are driven to the verge of nervous collapse. We're talking 60 to 70 hour weeks, even for the fastest, most experienced writers. Most writers don't last through more than one stage. Then they bring in more unsuspecting naifs, and have them take over where the last ones left off.

They are also wildly deceitful, and pressure writers to submit work even sooner than the already ridiculously short deadlines indicate. That way, they can squeeze as many words out of writers as possible, before they quit in disgust. In other words, this is a classic low rent writer's mill. And they will hire anyone!

Don't believe me. Check out these complaints:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/book-pu...shing/atlantic-publishing-company-u-c3e26.htm

http://www.eriksherman.com/WriterBiz/2009/07/another-writer-mill-atlantic-publishing.html

(The latter contains some telling inside dirt from some of the company's former employees, by the by.)

There are also a bunch of complaints about them on Writer's Weekly. The company continually spammed the site's owner, Angela Hoy, who is a great champion of writers rights. She warned "Do Not Do Business with this So-Called Publisher" on the Whispers and Warnings forum.

So if you think this is a way to make some "quick, easy" money, think again, folks. You would be better off flipping burgers at McDonald's. Working for this company is career suicide!

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Is now Atlantic Publishing Group, same URL.