• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

The Robert E. Shepard Agency

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Here is his link:

http://www.shepardagency.com/

Although I know he's legit, I had to chuckle at the rejection letter he returned in my SASE.

We're used to--and I appreciate--short and to the point rejections: "Thanks, it's not for me, opinions vary, good luck elsewhere."

Robert's is in 8 point type (!) and includes two very dense paragraphs!

The first is basically "Trust me, I read what you sent, I know it took time, etc."

The second paragraph recommends Jeff Herman's book (2008) edition, the LMP, and/or suggests the Internet.

It's all very pleasant--but hard to read at 8 pts!--but we're not done yet!

At the bottom is a big box with six (6!) boxes, each one with a vague reason WHY he is rejecting you, with one of the boxes checked.

1) Outside his area of interest, 2) he doesn't represent this genre, 3) too much competition, 4) it's an academic book 5) it's an article, not a book 6) Other

Anyway, it was sort of funny to see such a LONG rejection--with checked boxes!--because a simple yea or nay is all I was seeking.

And really, what's up with the 8 pt type??

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
My new query letter:

I like you.
Do you like me?
Check yes for You love my book.
Check no for My Book Sucks.

___Yes
___No

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Tell us how querying goes for that AnnouncerGuy. xP

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Effective September 1, 2010, I am taking a temporary break from accepting submissions from authors who are not already represented by the Agency. I have made this decision so that I can devote myself fully to my existing clients. I fully expect to resume taking submissions from new authors in the future--but not yet.
He goes on to say that if you just gotta query anyway, he's still read it within 4 to 6 weeks. :hat:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Closed to new clients in '13.