The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: The Robert E. Shepard Agency

practical experience, FTW

The Robert E. Shepard Agency

Here is his link:

http://www.shepardagency.com/

Although I know he's legit, I had to chuckle at the rejection letter he returned in my SASE.

We're used to--and I appreciate--short and to the point rejections: "Thanks, it's not for me, opinions vary, good luck elsewhere."

Robert's is in 8 point type (!) and includes two very dense paragraphs!

The first is basically "Trust me, I read what you sent, I know it took time, etc."

The second paragraph recommends Jeff Herman's book (2008) edition, the LMP, and/or suggests the Internet.

It's all very pleasant--but hard to read at 8 pts!--but we're not done yet!

At the bottom is a big box with six (6!) boxes, each one with a vague reason WHY he is rejecting you, with one of the boxes checked.

1) Outside his area of interest, 2) he doesn't represent this genre, 3) too much competition, 4) it's an academic book 5) it's an article, not a book 6) Other

Anyway, it was sort of funny to see such a LONG rejection--with checked boxes!--because a simple yea or nay is all I was seeking.

And really, what's up with the 8 pt type??

figuring it all out
    My new query letter:

I like you.
    Do you like me?
    Check yes for You love my book.
    Check no for My Book Sucks.

___Yes
    ___No
    Rest in peace Don LaFontaine, the real movie announcer guy. Can you imagine the symphony of Don, James Earl Jones and Charlton Heston having a conversation?

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion Mr. Anonymous's Avatar
    Tell us how querying goes for that AnnouncerGuy. xP

It was a 24hour email rejection for me. :-P

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Effective September 1, 2010, I am taking a temporary break from accepting submissions from authors who are not already represented by the Agency. I have made this decision so that I can devote myself fully to my existing clients. I fully expect to resume taking submissions from new authors in the future--but not yet.
    He goes on to say that if you just gotta query anyway, he's still read it within 4 to 6 weeks.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Closed to new clients in '13.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: