Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
and they still say they love the story.

But, they passed on it.

Five members of the agency on a conference call told me they would pay money to see the movie, but the tone of the manuscript still isn't right.

I guess I didn't nail the conversion to YA, after all.

The lead agent recommended that I "workshop" it. In fact, the consensus seemed to be that the original was better. All this after they thought it would be a natural YA story.

They are still open to any other new manuscripts I may generate in the future, but that will be a while.

Ouch.

IHeartWriting

Lurking in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jblynn.wordpress.com
Ouch! Geez, they couldn't have told you that in an email?

Still, you should be encouraged that they thought so highly of your work. Otherwise they would not have spent the time on the phone with you.

Feel free to wallow tonight, tomorrow is a new day.

:Hug2:

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Vandal, sorry 'bout the non-acceptance, but it does sound like they really liked your work, so make sure to send them more, k. Much good luck!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about the rejection. Ouch!! Is there anyway you can write your story as a screenplay??

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
aw, I'm sorry Vandal. That wasn't nice of them, getting your hopes up by scheduling a phone conversation like that.

CAM

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carolynmaccullough.com
Vandal, I'm sorry! It seems like you've been through the wringer on this one. Still, if five agents got on the phone to tell you they liked it--that's got to mean something, right? What if the next agent or the next one after that likes it and wants to represent it?

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
So close, Vandal. I thought you were a shoe-in, but what a great accomplishment to have gained so much of their attention! They're not fooling around. Good luck with whatever you decide to do next.

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
:e2thud:

oh man. i'm so sorry,
vandal. that SUCKS!!

:cry:

after all that hard work to be let
down. allowe yourself some sad
time before you attack again.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, Vandal! Just keep on trying, you're so very close!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to have nightmares about something like this happening to me.... I'm not sure I'd be able to handle it nearly as well as you seem to be. You have my deep respect, as well as my sympathy.

Good luck with the next project.

GJB

Oh, what a ride
Registered
Reaction score
Pass Call

Wow. That sucks through and through. My first reaction is not to Beta/Workshop/Writers Group it. It must be terrific already to get five agents salivating, calling with an advance appointment. I bet they didn't know which way to go until they dialed and ten minutes earlier might have gone the other way.

Couple others round here got so close, then rejected, then just shopped their precious baby a tiny bit more and Bingo--offer of representation. I feel you might be that close. g.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, keep shopping it--you were clearly incredibly close. Agents don't make phone calls to reject as a rule--I've only heard of this happening one other time (and that person sold their MS in the next couple of weeks).

Carmy

Banned
Reaction score
So sorry to hear that, Vandal, but it's encouraging to know you came so close. The next time out may be the time you nail it!

Good luck!

maggieuc

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry! And surprised! Don't let this get you down though, you obviously have a good story on your hands. You'll get an agent soon :)

MelodyO

Waiting for love on the web
Registered
Reaction score
What a tough break! Being that close, you'd have to think another agent would love it enough to take it on. Keep goooooing. You're so close even I can taste it! :D

Maui Author

Halfway between here and there
Registered
Reaction score
I am so sorry Vandal!!! They are going to be regretting they passed when you get another agent in a few weeks and get a fantastic book deal! Don't give up, you're so close!!

Julianne Douglas

Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, Vandal! But I agree with GJB. Keep submitting it to agents---that pass was so close, there's sure to be other agents who will snap it up. Don't lose heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.