Pick one must read screenplay

jessegrillofilm

Registered
Reaction score
If you had to recommend one screenplay that was a must read what one would it be? Tough question I know but try and pick one that stands out in someway. My pick is the screenplay Heist because it has some of the sharpest dialog ever written. Remember you can only pick one :)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe To Kill a Mockingbird because Horton Foote was able to create a screenplay that was faithful to the book in both storyline and feeling. That's not always an easy task when someone is turning a novel into a screenplay.

By the way, I'm surprised you can get folks here to go along with the "only one" edict. We normally ignore such "rules" without a second thought.

jessegrillofilm

Registered
Reaction score
All really good picks. I need to get a copy of China Town and LA Confidential. Those are both scripts I need to have on hand. Was Basic Instinct a good script? Please feel free to tell why you feel this is your favorite.

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Was Basic Instinct a good script? Please feel free to tell why you feel this is your favorite.

I've heard Basic Instinct cited as 'the perfect spec script' a couple of times.

Off the top of my head, I choose the Matrix, for its perfect structure. I read an analysis of it online once and it really does hit every beat right.

krano

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard Basic Instinct cited as 'the perfect spec script' a couple of times.

there you go. i've read it a couple times and nearly all its elements are textbook. the author of Alternative Screenwriting had a few genre-issues with it (he claimed Basic Instinct didn't live up to proper film-noir structure), but I think the real value of the script lies in its dialogue and subtext.

Kristy101081

Registered
Reaction score
there you go. i've read it a couple times and nearly all its elements are textbook. the author of Alternative Screenwriting had a few genre-issues with it (he claimed Basic Instinct didn't live up to proper film-noir structure), but I think the real value of the script lies in its dialogue and subtext.

And the opening scene was perfect. It grabs you by the throat and makes you pay attention to what's going on. It's visually compelling and you're drawn into the story, both as the reader and the audience.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Back to the future....... Outstanding, a study in just about everthing you would need to produce a movie today....

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Enchanted April

jessegrillofilm

Registered
Reaction score
The final script of American Beauty? That script was rewritten so many times I think the producers should get a writing credit for the amount of influence they had over it.