The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Camelzback Publishing / artselfpublish.com

wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar

Camelzback Publishing / artselfpublish.com

So sorry to anyone who had the unfortunate experience of being spammed by the idiot in Thailand running artselfpublish.com. He apparently sent e-mails or PMs to many people on the board. I'm reporting him to his ISP.

Don't do business with spammers! We did NOT share our list with this guy-- he just went to everyone's profiles and picked up e-mail addresses, apparently.
    I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

That explains it.

I was wondering why this guy sent me a message about his website. I didn't recognise his username, so I just deleted it. I wasn't aware that anyone could just come in and pick up all our email addresses from our profiles. (altho thinking about it now, why couldn't they?) Can't say I'm too happy about it, but then, there's not really much we can do about it. Thanks for letting us all know though Jenna.
    Super Hero and out of control 'Chocoholic' in desperate need of help.

"Books are well or badly written. That's all." Oscar Wilde

WIP Adult Fiction - 51,500/90,000
    WIP Adult Fiction - 22,000/85,000
    WIP Children's Middle Grade - 6500/40,000
    No Experience Necessary- 95,000 completed - submitting
    From The Grave - 85,500 completed - submitting
    Andy's Attic Adventure - children's chapter book completed - submitting
    Fergus and Lucy - children's picture book completed -submitting

www.thesbmgroup.com.au

Spook, if you poke around in your User CP panel you should be able to hide your email addy. It will then only be accessible by Jenna, Charlie or one of the supermods.

And, as you well know, we can all be trusted.

We don't abuse our vast powers.

Like for spying or anything like that.

Really cute shorts you have on today by the way.
    Recently Thunk Thoughts
    www.frankbaron.com
    My book makes a great gift!

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Why in the world would I want to have books manufactured by this guy in Thailand for $4.00 a copy when I can have 'em manufactured right here in the good ol' USA for a lot less? Lessee -- guy I never heard of on the other side of the world who advertises by spam vs. guy I can meet face-to-face in his printshop down the street who advertises in the Yellow Pages. Who should I give my money to? Let me think, let me think.

Something about this whole deal doen't smell right (and it isn't just that he calls himself "Hempmaster" either). I forwarded my copy of his spam to uce@ftc.gov

One Hit Wonder? Kasey Mackenzie's Avatar
    Well, with a name like that, no WONDER he has to spam people to dredge up any customers...I still don't understand people that actually RESPOND to those types of spams and BUY things...
    Good things come to those who wait...and work their tails off!!!

Coming Soon on Kindle: Reborn in Fire

devanshoom

hempmaster

Hello all .... I am the guy that "spammed" you.

I felt I had to reply to you guys, and to do so I even had to sign up with a new username, since it appears I have been struck from the board. Anyway, if I have offended you by sending you an email inviting you to look at my site than I apologize. I have been in Thailand since the internet started up and the general atmosphere over here is a bit more relaxed when it comes to mailing people you don't know, mainly because people here aren't overly paranoid of being conned and the like. I had no idea I was committing such a heinous crime. In fact it's lucky I am not over there otherwise I would probably have had my joints popped on a rack by now. I did actually apologize to Jenny Glatzer immediately after but she still thought it neccesary to put this thread up. Strikes me as being a bit mean.
    I wonder whether this post will be struck off too.
    Anyway, we live and learn.
    All the best.

I have been in Thailand since the internet started up and the general atmosphere over here is a bit more relaxed when it comes to mailing people you don't know, mainly because people here aren't overly paranoid of being conned and the like

Bullshit.

The issue isn't you mailing people you don't know. It is spamming, unsolicited commercial email. You used our board's PM system to send it, as well as harvested email addresses. You breached user's privacy as well as treated the reputation of Absolute Write and its owner with contempt.

People here are not overly paranoid of being "conned and the like". People here are irate at being advertised to by encephalic chumps.

IF instead you had posted in an appropriate forum stating your service, then perhaps you may have made a client or two. Instead you alienated people.

Hmm.. from Writer's Net:
    Author: dwight evans (---.86.142.44.revip.asianet.co.th)
    Date: 08-06-04 02:03

No I havent. I just joined to ask the same sort of thing. There's these guys in Thailand called [nourl]www.artselfpublish.com[/nourl]
    they say they are writers living in Thailand and can print book real cheap but still good quality. For 500 copies they quoted me less than a third of what I was quoted in England. Almost sounds too good to be true but they do seem genuine and pretty down to earth. They say their writers. excuse my lousy spelling. Anyway, just saying hello. Since we were on the same subject, like.
    Gee, Mr "Dwight Evans" has an IP that resolves back to Thailand, yet he implies he is in England. And look, its an Ad for "artselfpublish". Benefit of the doubt -- it is really someone who lives in Thailand and for some reason got quotes from England to selfpublish a novel. Hmm.. Or maybe Mr Evans was on HOLIDAYS... sure, that's it. Couldn't possibly be someone from artselfpublish pretending to be a happy customer.
    Last edited by MartyKay; 04-29-2005 at 12:49 PM. Reason: removed url linking #2
    Be Wery Wery Qwiet, I'm Hunting Sockpuppets
    You must be as smart as this stick -> |
    to use the internet |

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    Devanshoom--your other user name was banned for spamming. And snarking about Jenna (because she slapped you on the wrist) is just about guaranteed NOT to endear you to the regular members of AW.

I left his "explanation" because there were responses.

Banned him again. Like battle of the zombie trolls around here, some days.
    Last edited by MacAllister; 04-29-2005 at 01:50 PM.

Oops, Sorry Super Moderator. If you want, I can delete my post. I was actually surprised to NOT find tons of spam on many sites. Last message board spammer I ran into spammed every forum on another board -- googling the spam found hits on many many other boards as well.

Some people are due orchidectomies...
    Be Wery Wery Qwiet, I'm Hunting Sockpuppets
    You must be as smart as this stick -> |
    to use the internet |

'Twas but a dream of thee El Jefe MacAllister's Avatar
    No worries, Marty. Heh. I LIKED your response. <g>

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Re: Camelzback Publishing/artselfpublish.com

http://www.observergroup.net/ob112back/thismonth.htm

Shades Of Eastern Madness, 2005, by devanshoom, published by Camelzback, Bangkok . 283 + additional pages.

Camelzback is a self publishing organisation apparently created to publish this book as “countless literary agents and publishers” were not interested- “not even one.” If you have this problem with publishing your own book the author has a website at www.artselfpublish.com that may be able to assist. The website can also sell you this book, as it's not available in bookshops outside Thailand . The website also sells clothing made to order from hemp, which the author says he gets direct from the Hmong hilltribes.
    http://dorseyland.blogsome.com/2006/...astern-madness

Devanshoom, using his real name John Ryan, recently explained to Farang Affairs readers how he got 500 copies of the book published in Chiang Mai for Bt106 per print (and negotiated a distribution deal with Bookazine), but failed to shed any light on what’s happened to his website.

Touted at the back of “Shades” as a source of publishing assistance as well as clothing hand-made from hemp that’s bought from the Hmong, the website has since been “suspended” by Siaminterhost. Possibly this has to do with the hemp trade rather than the publishing trade, but until we get a phone call, the would-be book factory called Camelzback is silenced outside the pages of its sole edition.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: