• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Intermedia Publishing Group / Whalin Literary Agency, LLC (Terry Whalin)

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any information about him? He talks about "clients" but it sounds more like he just writes a lot of his own books.

I queried him about clients/sales after he expressed interest in my NF query--wants the proposal, sample chaps and even the whole thing--but I wanted to hear his response to my question first.

And any of your input!

Here's his site:
http://whalinagency.com/

Thanks!

ALSO--anyone else bothered that so many agents are now blogging and directing us to their blog sites? If they are all so busy selling/rejecting us or too busy to send timely rejection letters/e-mails, then they shouldn't have time to blog.

And I love the blogs that have gone on for months...and have ZERO comments! Okay, end of rant....!

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
Anyone have any information about him? He talks about "clients" but it sounds more like he just writes a lot of his own books.

I queried him about clients/sales after he expressed interest in my NF query--wants the proposal, sample chaps and even the whole thing--but I wanted to hear his response to my question first.

And any of your input!

Here's his site:
http://whalinagency.com/

Thanks!

I don't see a single client or sale listed on his website. He's not on agentquery.com and he asked his info be removed from LitMatch. Now it is possible he just keeps that stuff confidential--there are some highly reputable agents who don't have websites or report their sales--and it looks like he was an editor at S&S for five years so he should have some connections, but Googling him doesn't bring up any mention from clients about him, either. So I'd definitely get those names of clients, recent sales, stuff like that, and confirm all that info, before signing.

ALSO--anyone else bothered that so many agents are now blogging and directing us to their blog sites? If they are all so busy selling/rejecting us or too busy to send timely rejection letters/e-mails, then they shouldn't have time to blog.

And I love the blogs that have gone on for months...and have ZERO comments! Okay, end of rant....!

We all know what I say about that...;)

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2632625&postcount=235

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, DecemberQuinn. I'm still waiting to hear back from him and will post any helpful material.

Like my rants over agents who blog, agents who create several websites and gather quotes about how wonderful their books are is fine, but why not just be an author?

And I can understand keeping your client list super secret if you are super successful...but it that's the case, you probably are just cashing those 15% checks and really don't "need" to get new clients...unless they are referred by your super successful secret clients.

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I never heard back from Terry Whalin after I asked him who he represented and what he's sold, so I would put him under your BEWARE/AVOID category.

I also noticed that on Amazon where his books are available, he actually responded to those who posted negative reviews of his books -- sort of nasty e-mails, too, another red flag.

Last edited:

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
He doesn't have zero clients. In my niche market (Christian fic/nonfic) he's highly respected. He wrote a book called "Book Proposals that $ell" that is considered the virtual bible for Christian nonfic projects. He claims it covers fiction, too, but I don't think it's specific enough for that. No sweat, since I don't write nonfic.

I don't know exactly whom he represents, but getting him to look at your proposal is considered a coup where I come from.

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Deb--

I know your market and many people in it, including my former agent who reps Joyce Meyer.

Terry has no clients that I am aware of. If you checked my posts--and his website--none are mentioned. Before I spent the time and money to print out and mail the 89-page proposal, I sent an e-mail asking for some of his recent sales/clients.

No response and its been over a week. Just silence.

All he repeats on his various websites is that he has written more than 60 nonfiction books plus published in more than 50 magazines.

I even gave him an "out" and said that if he was a start-up agency and was just signing clients, that was fine--but still nothing.

Very disappointing, but I have four other agents and two publishing houses that asked for the proposals/samples and listed their clients on their website.

If I ever hear from Terry, I'll certainly post his info here. Until then, he remains in my e-mail I call "? AGENTS"

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
He doesn't have zero clients. In my niche market (Christian fic/nonfic) he's highly respected. He wrote a book called "Book Proposals that $ell" that is considered the virtual bible for Christian nonfic projects. He claims it covers fiction, too, but I don't think it's specific enough for that. No sweat, since I don't write nonfic.

I don't know exactly whom he represents, but getting him to look at your proposal is considered a coup where I come from.

My impressions of Terry are the same as Deb's. Hope it works out for you.

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Inspiewriter (and Deb).

I'm just wondering what your thoughts are as to Terry's silence?

I agree with you --he has LOADS of wonderful comments and I've corresponded with many of the people of people that rave about him and his books.

But I continue to come up with zero evidence of any clients. If you have links or information, let me know. I did download his resume and while he has worked at publishing houses, there doesn't seem to be a long stint anywhere and there is so much crossover on the times, I wonder if he was more or less of a consultant at the shops?

How else could he start various companies and also work at Howard Books, etc.

I'm just curious and wish the man well--it's the "silence" and both of yours kind thoughts and comments about the man that make me "wonder."

He continues to update his blog(s) since I asked him for clients and sales, so I know he is alive and well. I simply expected a response to my follow-up query after his enthusiastic interest in the project.

But I'm blessed in having four agents ask for sample chapters, then the proposal, then the full manuscript while at the same time, four publishers have asked for sample chapters and then the proposal.

So your encouragement is appreciated--any wisdom about Terry would be, too!

Best to you both!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Derek, with your permission I'll post a paraphrase of your question on a large Christian fiction writer's loop & see what shakes out. Please advise.

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Deb--

That would fine to query about Terry's clients at another forum.

I'd appreciate it if you would keep it all "generic" and not use any of the e-mail reply he sent me.

Thanks--I appreciate it!

SLThomas

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for butting in this thread but he might be on vacation?

It seems lots of publishing folks are on holiday the two last weeks of August.

Carry on!

S-L

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Hi SL--

He never said anything about going on vacation when he e-mailed twice in one day, asking for the proposal and manuscript.

The same day I simply asked about his client list and I never received a response.

And he's been blogging regularly, most recently last Friday, August 15.
http://terrywhalin.blogspot.com/

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Deb. (very much!)

It bothered me that he never responded to my request for information about his current clients/sales, and when I checked his book at Amazon, anyone who posted a negative "review" received a somewhat nasty comment from him.

It all seem sort of mean spirited--I mean, just because someone doesn't like or value your book, why spend the time to "hunt them down" on Amazon and then post a rebuttal to their opinion?

And he blogs nonstop and REALLY pushes his book/newsletter, etc.

Clearly, his book/website/blog seem to be his main focus so I'm not sure why he wants to agent.

I'm just glad I didn't spend the money shipping him everything he wanted -- the proposal, the manuscript, etc!

Thanks again for everyone's thoughts and input.

Leigh86

Registered
Reaction score
I emailed him and he got back to me pretty quickly. He asked if my manuscript was completed and for the word count. I emailed him back with that information and I'm waiting to hear back from him again. That was about four days ago. I'll let ya'll know if I hear from him again!

Reaction score
He’s another one of these guys who wants you to query so he can email you a link to his own silly product(s). I, very unprofessionally, wrote him back a glorious rant against his poor ethics and crappy grammar. So if these beloved shams are growing short with we lowly unpublished beggars, it’s no doubt due, if only in part, to intolerant fish like moi. ’grets.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
This surprises me. He had (has?) a good rep in the C-fic community. I don't know the guy personally, but he did send me back a rather snarky note after I posted the OP's request for data on the ACFW loop. I didn't see how it was offensive to ask an agent what projects he's successfully repped. I guess, based on data above, he only sold that one book.

Who'd a' thunk it?

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Deb--

Check out Terry's books at Amazon, and then the customer reviews and the comments to those reviews. He actually "attacks" (via comments) those who give his books "bad reviews." Really odd behavior.

Check my earlier posts about him in this section--and since he's no longer an agent, we know why!

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I admit I was rather taken aback by his original response to my forwarding of your question. Never have I had an agent so reluctant to share information.

This new development tells me he may not have been serious about agenting, but since I don't know the man, I won't speculate on his motives.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I paid Terry and his partner Larry Davis for their complete book publishing services, after signing a contract with Intermedia Publishing Group.
I've had quite poor luck getting Terry to release my book. Prices for printing change, delivery schedule changes, dozens of typesetting editting errors, etc. It's been 10 months since we signed the contract and 7 months since we had the final payment for printing.
I think anybody that demands payment in full, at the time of signing a contract should be viewed with suspicion.

Indeed. Actually, any agent demanding payment up-front shouldn't just be viewed with suspicion but should be shunned. No legitimate agent charges money up-front.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
Very true, Terie, but Mr. Whalin is not an agent any longer. He's involved with a very upfront-stated pay-to-play publisher. So this can be viewed in the same way we take any subsidy/vanity press--hopefully the author will get exactly what s/he pays for and they'll deal promptly and honestly with any questions or concerns.

I hate to see a person ruin his reputation by doing otherwise. In my market Terry Whalin has a good name.

DerekJager

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear all that, Max. As I posted above, I was surprised at Terry's nasty comments on Amazon in response to people who didn't like his books. The idea that an author would "troll" his/her reviews and then go after those that didn't like the book...petty comes to mind.

I hope he has the smarts to make things right--or "righter"--with you. Please keep us posted.