several questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckie13

Registered
Reaction score
What are rep points?
How do I know if a publisher is ligitament?
Has anyone ever heard of RoseDog books?
Whats the easyiest way to find a literacy agent?

I don't think all of thoes questions are for this section, but whats the worst you people could do?..

Last edited:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rep points are probably explained in the faq area. (ETA- newbie section. Opps)

Check Bewares and Background Checks for the agent and publishers you want to check.

Use search for Rosa.

Welcome to AW.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sassandgrove gave the best answers to your questions.

But dare you ask what we could do for posting in the wrong spot. Hmmm

we could steal all your rep points, we could laugh maniacally :e2seesaw:

We could refuse you popcorn:popcorn:

or just say welcome aboard :welcome:

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
What are rep points?

See the little scales way down under your user name and title? Down at the bottom left-hand side of your post? If you click on those, you can leave someone a rep point. We freely give positive reps, but be VERY careful how you use the negative ones. They are only for when you feel someone has really and truly stepped over a line, not when they just have the gall to disagree with you. In the end, though, rep points don't really do very much. They are a game for some, a matter of pride for others, and meaningless to many. There's more information in the newbie's guide.

How do I know if a publisher is ligitament?
Google them. Then check Bewares and Background Check here at AW. Then check Preditors and Editors. Then read over any offered contracts very, very carefully.

You should also know the red flags and what to avoid...things you can learn here at AW. But a very basic thing to remember is this: watch the money. If the publisher is selling primarily to the author, who can then sell to others, RUN. That will keep you away from 90% of the scams. (percentage made up on the spot, of course :D )

Has anyone ever heard of RoseDog books?

Did you try Google, Preditors and Editors, and Bewares and Background check? Even if I said I thought they were the best publisher in the world, do you know who I am and would you take my word for it? There's no substitute for research.

Whats the easyiest way to find a literacy agent?

I've heard that conferences help, but the way most people get agents is by sending them a query letter. Visit the Share Your Work section and check out Query Letter Hell. It'll teach you a lot about how to get an agent.

I don't think all of thoes questions are for this section, but whats the worst you people could do?..

Well, I could try giving you cement boots and sending you to swim with the fishies, but instead I think I'll say
:TheWave::welcome::TheWave:

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Monkey said:
See the little scales way down under your user name and title? Down at the bottom left-hand side of your post? If you click on those, you can leave someone a rep point. We freely give positive reps, but be VERY careful how you use the negative ones. They are only for when you feel someone has really and truly stepped over a line, not when they just have the gall to disagree with you. In the end, though, rep points don't really do very much. They are a game for some, a matter of pride for others, and meaningless to many. There's more information in the newbie's guide.
Well- I cherish mine. I see them as a quick way to affirm someone's post and also to say Hi. :)
Rather than send negative points, i have sent a Private Message to the offender or to a mod. YOu can click on the exclammation point next to the scales if it is really bad. It sends a message to a mod for you. But I've only had to do that a couple times.

Again, welcome!

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I really appreciate mine, too. Even though they don't count for anything "official", to me they mean I've made a positive contribution to this group and that makes me feel good.

I think they do mean something to a lot of us, hence the taboo on neg repping.

Here's a link to the original newbie's guide, which had more detail about reps. You have to read the whole thing to get it all, though, as the stuff about reps is split up and buried. It's OK, it's all good stuff that will help you fit in here at AW.
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34886

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.