What About Good Old B-Movie Monster Horror?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
It is pretty hard to find, but my favorite type of horror has a monster and is plot driven. I call this type of horror "Icky bug." The monster doesn't have to be an actual bug, just something that eats half the characters.

Is there any market for plot driven b-movie horror? I've broused through the subjects on this thread until I got a headache and haven't seen a thing that seems to be up this alley.

I used to joke that good icky bug is a monster that eats half the characters, the say "F..." a lot, and there is lots of gratuitous sex that has nothing to do with the plot.

In all seriousness, this is the type of horror I enjoy the most but don't find much of it out there any more. My first horror novel is about a demon posessed plant that eats Altus, Oklahoma. It's been rejected about 200 times, so far. Not a single bit of feedback on it from an agent.

However, along with the 22nd edit, I finally got some decent feedback from my writer's group and discovered I had way too many main characters.

Anyway, am I missing something, or are there other creature feature horror stories out there somewhere? And no, I'm not talking about the usual vampires, werewolves, or mummies.

Appreciate the feedback.

Feidb

David McAfee

God of Squirrels
Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked at Meg, by Steve Alten? It's about a prehistoric shark...what? 75 feet long? Something like that, anyway. Granted, it's a few years old.

James Rollins frequently has odd critters in his books, although it's usually more than one (think Gremlins rather than Godzilla). But those are more thriller than horror.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Strangely enough Universal Monsters (Dark Horse Press) is coming out with some monster books. I just picked up the Creature from the Black Lagoon: Time's Black Lagoon.

But I know nothing about it. It might be they only accept books about their monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein, etc.) and you have to follow their guidelines, like you would if you tried to write a Star Wars or Star Trek novel.

Spook

Fairy dust, fairy dust!
Registered
Reaction score
Leisure Fiction publishes works along those lines. I'm currently reading Bryan Smith's Queen of Blood. It's quite gory (tons of mass murder scenes) and the sex scenes are rather unnerving. Keep trying.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Night of the Lepus, 1972 film. If you can write a giant killer bunny tale half as good, you'll be doing alright.

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
Aaah! Night of the Lepus! My wife saw that movie in the theater at Torrejon AB in Spain in 73 or 74. I was working swing shift and she was killing time until I got off. She had to walk across the base to the shop after the movie and along the way, crossed a field full of jackrabbits! A couple jumped out and scared the daylights out of her!

I guess my biggest problem, besides too many characters, is that it's plot driven and not character driven. I'm firmly in the plot driven camp and a lot of the horror I see out there is character driven. I guess that is one reason I don't really like Stephen King. It seems his books ramble a lot. Just not my thing.

I really like Bentley Little and Scott Nicholson. I don't write like them, but I love their stories.

I loved MEG! Steve Alten also wrote a few sequels. The he wrote The Loch. His latest is pretty good too. It's not horror though. I can't wait until he gets back to good old icky bug.

James Rollins is one of my favorites too, and a personal friend. Being a fomer veterninarian, he likes to put in an icky bug or two in each of his stories and he's come up with some really interesting creatures.

I checked the Dark Horse web site and they concentrate on comics and graphic novels. Not quite my thing, but still cool.

I'll keep trying all right. Hell, I'm going to write the stories anyway!

Thanks for all your input.

Feidb

Been Here A While
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fredrayworth.com
Shado_Ferret,

Thanks for the reply. I am not assuming anything. I am talking from my own experience. There are exceptions, of course. When it comes to really thick fantasy stories besides Jordan, for instance, I've browsed through a few and found them rambling. If course, I didn't read the whole books, but spotted enough signs to indicate they rambled.

I have, over the years, read a few character driven stories that moved well. I just don't run across them very often, espcially in the genres I read.

Like I said, nothing against rambling or character driven, just not for me.

It could also be that I just don't like character driven stories all that well, so even if they do move, they seem to ramble to me.

I hope that answers your question.

Feidb

Status
Not open for further replies.