The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Melville House Publishing

smart enough to know better

Question Melville House Publishing

Anyone know anything about these folks? They are supposedly humor publishers and quite new.
    DP
    Last edited by Donna Pudick; 02-19-2015 at 07:18 PM.

they appear to be a legitimate independent publisher. Their International Rights page indicates they have relationships with all the major foreign rights agencies in other countries (a good sign that they know what they are doing).
    www.jamaicalayne.com, http://jamaicalayne.blogspot.com
    www.ravenousromance.com

MARKET FOR LOVE now available; Buy it here.

[Jamaica Layne] has built a multifaceted writing career, in genres ranging from theater to erotic fiction"---Chicago Tribune

"Layne sucks you in and doesn't let go until the last page."--Love Romance Passion.com

"Once you read Jamaica Layne, she will be on your auto-buy list."----Dirty Girl Reviews, on MARKET FOR LOVE

4 Stars!----Romantic Times Magazine

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

smart enough to know better
    Yes, I see them, now. Despite the drollery on their submissions page, they seem to publish mostly literary and cerebral stuff. Looks legit, though.

DP

Villager
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna Pudick View Post
    Yes, I see them, now. Despite the drollery on their submissions page, they seem to publish mostly literary and cerebral stuff. Looks legit, though.
    "Though"? Elbow to the ribs of literary & cerebral stuff?

A new publisher with a website that comes right out of 1992? Who'd have thunk it.

It's also interesting that their submissions page says they accept all fiction (i.e. I have a teen sci-fi vampire thriller erotic romantic comedy written entirely in text speech -- and they'll accept that one!) and the top of the page seems geared more toward that literary stuff.

I guess there is a reason they have too many submissions.

Villager
    Looks to be much more political non-fiction than anything else.

an awkward website doesn't mean they don't know how to sell/distribute books. If they have relationships with every major foreign rights agent in almost every foreign market (which they do) it indicates they have very good distribution. (And most people don't buy books from publishers' websites, rather from bookstores.)
    www.jamaicalayne.com, http://jamaicalayne.blogspot.com
    www.ravenousromance.com

MARKET FOR LOVE now available; Buy it here.

[Jamaica Layne] has built a multifaceted writing career, in genres ranging from theater to erotic fiction"---Chicago Tribune

"Layne sucks you in and doesn't let go until the last page."--Love Romance Passion.com

"Once you read Jamaica Layne, she will be on your auto-buy list."----Dirty Girl Reviews, on MARKET FOR LOVE

4 Stars!----Romantic Times Magazine