• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Long Tale Press, LLC

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.longtalepress.com/

Long story short, this is another press that grew out of somebody's frustration with "the biz". Unfortunately, it also looks like good intentions/bad practices:
  1. You join the site and post excerpts of your manuscript.
  2. Other members vote on excerpts and the one with the most votes gets published.
Published by committee!

First off, the concept of this getting "quality material" out there sounds pretty lopsided. Who's to say I won't have 55 of my friends shotgun votes to force them to publish my book?

Next is the contract. According to what I understand (standard "I'm not a lawyer" provision applies), you're signing over all rights to all licenses, including use of characters and titles for trademark purposes. Royalties pay at 50% of net sales. You receive 50% of sales for first serial, second serial, motion picture, and other rights. You receive 6 free author's copies and may purchase additional copies at a 40% discount.

All illustrations, photos, artwork, tables, etc. used for the book itself and for any promotional materials are provided by the author. The full or a portion of the cost of the production of this "art package" is deducted from royalties.

And here's a tricky part for me.
  • From the "About Us" page: At that time, Long Tale Press will register copyright to the work in the author's name.
  • From the contract: The Publisher shall register the copyright of the Work in its name as proprietor and shall at its discretion effect any renewal, continuation, or extension of the copyright provided by the controlling law at such time.
Am I reading this correctly? Are they contradicting themselves saying in the contract they're going to register the copyright in their name?

Here's the rest of the contract: http://www.longtalepress.com/about/authorcontract (It might be a little futzy; according to the front page, they're having server issues, so this and other pages might not load properly.)

I've got a really wrong feeling about this. Not bad, just wrong, and I'd have serious problems signing a contract like this.

Anybody care to take a shot?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't enough coffee to comment on the legalese, alas. I'm stuck on where to file this: YADS or ebook pub. Epub, I guess, subject to revision as it evolves.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like their contract provisions, but I love the idea of a "plain English" version.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site went down recently, but no activity or books published after '11. Per co-owner's LinkedIn, closed because "[w]e didn't get quite the response we wanted...".