Not open for further replies.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
This type of thread was posted about two years ago but it's worth repeating. (If not, mods, feel free to delete or move it.)

It happened again. I did a search of my name and found another website that published my work without payment (I was paid for first serial rights when it was originally published in hard copy, so this would have been reprint rights) and without my permission. I contacted them (it's a newspaper) and they pointed the finger at the website itself. I contacted the webmaster, and he pointed the finger right back to the newspaper. They're pulling it, but no one is admitting fault (of course--geez, they'd have to pay me!).

So, every week: Google your name or the title of your work that's been published.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Outrageous, stormie!! What a bloody cheek people have, eh? I'm not yet published but I'll keep your sage advice in mind. Thanks.

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
Sorry to hear about this. When I google my name some other author comes us who's published a thousand books. I guess this answers my question on if I'll have to use a pen name or not if I ever get published.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Top of the list was a drag queen though....
Ohh...pretty! :D

If others have your same name, google the title of your work. What gets me is that this was originally published in a syndicated newspaper insert, and not online. These *&#%*& had to scan it then publish it online.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
My name is uncommon. I share it with only one author--so far.
I am surprised to see that at least one of my books is offered as an e-book on something called eBook mall. I have to find out if this mall place got an e-copy of my book and is now selling copies for $6.00. That may count as infringement on publishing rights. I'll have to see.
C

Last edited:

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
The more I think about it, this may very well be the reason AMZ stopped adding the e-book feature for some books. I did hear that some publishers were removing e-books from the Amz catalogue. If I was a publisher I'd take the e-book sale down. Of course some publishers do sell e-books themselves and there' s nothing stopping someone from copying them for re-sale.
C

CreativeFae

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tiffstclaire.webnode.com
just out of curiousity I googled my pen name to see if anyone else was using it and only my tokyopop profile and this profile showed, but it got me thinking....is this really that common to have happen? just curious

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Google Alert never caught this one, though, and it was published online in 2006. I just found out now through Google search (and I had to wade through a few pages). As a side-note: I tried Cuil.com today to search my name and that gave me a headache. They need to tone down their muscle power. I mean, 215k sites mentioned for moi? Right.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
nothing of mine posted elsewhere.
Don't know if that's necessarily comforting.
Maybe they don't think my stuff is worth swiping.

ps Cool you got the business straightened out, at least.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
just out of curiousity I googled my pen name to see if anyone else was using it and only my tokyopop profile and this profile showed, but it got me thinking....is this really that common to have happen? just curious

I'd guess it's pretty common. It's happend to me.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
It's common.

Thing is, I don't search just on titles - those are frequently stripped off, and sometimes, first paragraphs are changed or selective sentences are deleted - had that happen to me. So I pick a sentence or three somewhere further in and search on that. Voila!

I've caught my content being stolen by a major newspaper in Sri Lanka and a fellow writer who I knew from another writing community who put my content on her site after asking for permission and me telling her that no, she didn't have my permission. That, on top of other random strangers and sploggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.