Locus issue focused on YA

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
The July issue of Locus (magazine about SFF publishing) focuses on YA, so if you're writing that, you might want to pick it up. There are a number of interesting pieces in it, but I particularly liked Sharyn November's. She's an editor at Viking Children's Books and Editorial Director for their Firebrand line. She made several good points about what constitutes YA (different age groupings, for instance) and what the trends are. Then near the end of her column, she talked about what's missing and what's overdone. Missing is YA SF that's not dystopia or steampunk; non-white, non-Western voices; female protagonists. Overdone, according to an informal poll she took among booksellers and librarians: faeries, werewolves and other shapeshifters, vampires, dragons, the Greek gods, trilogies, pirates, zombies, teen superheros, teenaged Evil Genius, boarding school, mean girls, underground cities, the Victorians, the Male Chosen One, and retold Fairy tales.

Last edited:

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
**suddenly wants to write about an underground city**

Completely missing the point, I know.

I don''t do either the underdones or the overdones. Interesting.

Thanks for letting us know. This is really cool.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
very cool, thanks. i just passed the info on to a friend who is about to submit a YA fantasy proposal to this editor.

alainn_chaser

Kweh?
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm... Well I don't think I can become non-white or non-western but the rest is interesting. The problem is that sometimes I really love the overdones.

I mean really? What is better than a good dystopia?

I'd love to get my hands on this issue though. I'll have to look for it. Thanks. :D

Danalynn

NEVER give up!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Kewl info!

Where can we get our hands on a copy of that magazine? Any pointers on where to look for it?

Thanks for posting this.

:)

Inkspill

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, this is very interesting.
I did one overdone and one underdone. I'm curious to see the results of querying both.

Valona

Registered
Reaction score
I know there are lots of ideas of what's in and what's not in. I don't write any of those. I've always gone by the idea that I just write the book that's in me and don't worry about trends. If it sells, it sells, if not... oh, well, it was fun writing it, and in a way, that is reward enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.