Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Webzine] Writer Online

Sputnick

Angry [Webzine] Writer Online

So what's the deal with Writer Online? (www.writeronline.us or www.writer-on-line.com)

They don't pay their contributors. They charge to enter their contests. They have a vague reference to "cash prize" but they don't state what it is or what other winners have received in the past. And they charge biiiiig bucks for their market newsletter.

This is supposed to be a support to writers?!?!

Your Friendly Neighborhood Sputnick

Never Surrender AW Moderator Maryn's Avatar
    Yeah, I've wondered the same things.

However, as a contest winner, I can shed a little light on that aspect, at least. I finished a mystery short story after the author set it up. The entry cost was $5, and I won $50 and a copy of the author's self-published book. It wasn't very good, in terms of both the writing and the production quality.

Whoop-di-do, huh?

Maryn, who may have already won...

wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar
    Gives me a chance to clear something up, too--

Writer Online is under new ownership. We have absolutely NOTHING to do with them. In its old incarnation more than a year ago, we had an affiliate relationship (they sold our courses, we sold their advertising).

We have no relationship whatsoever with the new Writer Online.
    I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I sold an article to them in 2000 (they actually had decent pay rates back then). At the time, it was an active, interesting writers' 'zine.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Writeronline.us is dead, and http://www.writer-on-line.com/index.html is stuck in 2006.
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: