• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Inkwater Press

ames_plaza

betch.
Registered
Reaction score
I have been looking into self-publishing (sigh) for a book that will probably not get published by anyone major due to content... but i was wondeirng if anyone knew anything about Inkwater Press. I have been talking to an editor there, who seems legit (i have even spoken with her over the phone). Anyone??

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Adding link: http://www.inkwaterpress.com/

There are a lot of similar companies, and they all offer a different mix of services and prices. Some comparison shopping is definitely in order. On the Print on Demand page of Writer Beware, there are resources to help you do this, as well as a rundown on the challenges of POD self-publishing.

- Victoria

ames_plaza

betch.
Registered
Reaction score
thank you. i'm definitely not going to jump into this... it's a big decision, and the site helped a lot. i'm going to talk to the editor soem more, get all my questions answered first.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Heather. I have moved your post into the existing thread for Inkwater Press. Please read the Index before posting new threads. Thank you.

ssnowe

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to add Inkwater press does more than self-publishing. My book is coming out with them on 2/3/09 and I paid nothing to have it published.

As an aside, they have been fabulous to work with. These folks are top-notch.

Karen_Dales

Registered
Reaction score
I looked over their website and found it interesting. One thing that I could not find is whether or not they have a distribution deal and customers could buy the books from other retailers such as Barnes and Nobel, Amazon, etc.

Does anyone know whether or not they have distribution besides buying novels from their own siteÉ

Thanks.

Karen

ssnowe

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, indeed. My book is available for pre-order right now on Amazon and BN.com.

ssnowe

Registered
Reaction score
Oh. My mistake then. I thought she meant that since it was available on Inkwater's website, then would it be available on those other websites.

Sorry about that.

ssnowe

Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I must have missed this. The book is distributed to bookstores through Partners and Baker and Taylor. I believe this is what you are asking. Let me know if it's not.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Wholesalers, then, rather than distributors. I wonder why they don't use Ingram?

Ssnowe, you're the first person I've encountered who hasn't paid to publish through Inkwater. Would you might sharing how you hooked up with Inkwater, and what your experience has been so far? Thanks!

- Victoria

ssnowe

Registered
Reaction score
Sure.

It was pretty basic. Sent them a query with the manuscript and they liked it. The acquisitions manager called me and we chatted. She wanted to send me a contract. I told her that I had done more checking around (bad on me for not doing it beforehand, I guess) and found out they did subsidy publishing and I wasn't interested in that. She let me know that not all of the publishing they do was subsidy and that was not what I was being offered.

Fifteen days later the contract arrived. No red flags to me, but since I'm a newbie I had four others look at it, including a contracts attorney and an author who had her first book with a small press and her current book with a major publisher. The royalties and advance are what I expected, based on what the author told me about her experience.

So far the experience has been really good. Everyone I've worked with (acquisitions manager, editor, marketing and publicity, etc) has been great. They've been pleased with the pre-order numbers...the book is out next week. I guess time will tell, but so far I've had no complaints whatsoever. They are setting up interviews for me and yesterday I got an email about having a book signing in North Carolina. They are taking care of all the publicity. I've really not done much of anything yet except agree to interviews and well, write the book.

Like I said, time will tell. But I've been happy with the experience thus far.

Last edited:

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
After reading about ssnowe's experience I sent them a manuscript and other info via their webform a few weeks ago.

One of the editors told me she loved the story and the characters and sent me a sample contract.

The story was so good they only want $999 to publish it!

I think not.

Glenda

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Vandal, reading your post left me speachless.

alice14

Registered
Reaction score
Ink Water Press

Has anyone heard of Ink Water Press? Is it a good company or a scam?

Nandi

Registered
Reaction score
P&E labels this a vanity publisher.