• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] The Front Porch Syndicate

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Does anyone know if The Front Porch syndicate closed down? We've discussed this before, back in October. In November they published one of my pieces, and I was paid. They were great to deal with. Now when I click on the link from my Favorites folder, and also google it, I come up with error messages (site not found). :Shrug:

rich

http://www.porchsyndicate.com/

It's still there. They published my first two pieces and were happy about my third, but didn't take it. I had sent them three more pieces that are now well past their turnaround time. That annoyed me--but that's me.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Stormie, I had sent her some anecdotes quite awhile ago and haven't heard anything back either. Maybe they're very busy... Let's hope no news is good news.:)

Warm regards, Susie:)

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Stormie & all. Hope we hear great news from this outfit very soon. They sure were nice to work with.

Warm regards, Susie:)

ku ku ku katie

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I submitted a piece to them last night, (fingers crossed.) It doesn't say anywhere that you can't submit different to all the sections, so I was thinking about doing some more. I wonder, once you get accepted with someone like them, a weekly, wouldn't it seem like they'd be requesting more of your work? I am new to freelancing, so please pardon my ignorance, but I read what rich said and that seemed odd to me.

rich

Not sure what you mean, KKKK. I suppose a weekly outfit like that might find your work tantalizing enough to go out of its way and request more from you, but in my case that's not the case. Out of the first three pieces he took two, and he emailed me to say that he's considering the third piece. He didn't pick up the third, nor did he pick up the next two I sent him. I normally don't submit to low paying markets, but The Front Porch is somewhat national, and I thought maybe a column might come of it. Occasionally I do a search on Front Porch to find out the extent of its syndication--can't find diddly squat. I have one more piece there, and I think that's the extent of of our relationship.

ku ku ku katie

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Rich, I guess I meant pretty much the same thing you did, you said you thought maybe a column might come of it, and that's kinda where I was headed, that it seemed they would be glad to have regular contributors to rely on. But I see that maybe that's not their mindset. Shoot, maybe they get so much they can pay 25-75 dollars for that they don't want to hang onto to many regulars, they'd have to up the price. Just contemplating the situation, I still maybe submit more to them, it's quick and easy and they would make a decent clip.

Thanks for enlightening me.

Katie

sillybear

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Wendy!

They say that their time frame is about 2 months - is that how long it took for you?

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
What rights do they buy? I can't seem to find anything on the site referring to rights.

**Oops! I found it after all. Just wasn't looking in the correct place.

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
I got accepted by them 2 weeks after the 2 month response deadline. They did say they would be publishing in several months but that was back in April. Does anybody have any idea as to their usual time scale between acceptance and publication?

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Dollywagon said:
I got accepted by them 2 weeks after the 2 month response deadline. They did say they would be publishing in several months but that was back in April. Does anybody have any idea as to their usual time scale between acceptance and publication?

Seems like it took about a year between acceptance and publication for me. YMMV

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Guess I'll not be holding my breath then:tongue

I'm more interested in seeing the mag really. I'm in the UK and to be honest hadn't got a clue what it was when I submitted!

I think I found the link on here and just went for it - as you do.

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Unless they've changed the format, it's not actually a magazine, but an insert in a newspaper. It's very nice, though, and I was pleased to be published with them. Congrats on your sale. :)

Dollywagon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks AW, congrats on yours too.

It's one of those Sunday supplement things isn't it? I don't know whether they are the same in your neck of the woods as in ours.

Front Porch do seem to have quite a good reputation though.
Mind you, I only found all this out after the event.:tongue

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
awatkins said:
Seems like it took about a year between acceptance and publication for me. YMMV

A year? Good gravy, I got an acceptance a few weeks ago and it said my essay would be published in a few months, but I'm glad I saw this post or I would have been watching and waiting a long time. ;)

awatkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Dollywagon said:
Thanks AW, congrats on yours too.

It's one of those Sunday supplement things isn't it? I don't know whether they are the same in your neck of the woods as in ours.

Front Porch do seem to have quite a good reputation though.
Mind you, I only found all this out after the event.:tongue

I can't remember what day of the week mine actually appeared.

Once upon a time, the Front Porch was a Sunday supplement insert. Full-color pages, several pages in length. Now I think it's only a full page with several stories on it. (Anyway, that's how my local papers run it.) They used some really neat illustrations, though, and I was very pleased with how it looked.

Hope you get your copy soon! :)

Susie

Registered
Reaction score
Howie, my hubby, was fortunate to get an anecdote accepted by the Front Porch. Do you know if they pay beforehand even if you have to wait awhile before your sub. gets published? Thanks much.