What's the worst song ever?

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
There's so much musical mediocrity in the world - mumbly, angsty indie, faux-sincere torch ballads, tuneless simpering crooners, dead-eyed Cowell-clone warblers - that it's a tricky choice. But I think a truly bad song should be about passion. It should instill in you the baleful desire to inflict a savage beating on every single individual who ever bought it. And what does that better than Crazy Frog?

It's amazing how the whole spectrum of bad vs good is really a circle.

That is, it is possible for something to be SOOOO BAAAADDDDDDDD

that it actually becomes good.

Like crazy frog. It is so bad that I found myself laughing at the video and in a sick sorta way, liking it.

Gawd. I need a shower. Yuck Yack Yuck

Mel...

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
I know it was a huge hit but I despise Eddie Money's Take Me Home Tonight. Did he just come from the dentist before he sang it? That guy has the worst diction on the planet.

Someone mentioned Sex U Up by Color Me Badd which was epicly godawful.

Whitney Houston's foghorn rendition of Dolly Parton's tender I Will Always Love You.

YMCA continues to hinder our progress as a species.

Hero by Enrique Iglesias

Dream Weaver

If by Bread

I can't pick just one

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know it was a huge hit but I despise Eddie Money's Take Me Home Tonight. Did he just come from the dentist before he sang it? That guy has the worst diction on the planet.

Someone mentioned Sex U Up by Color Me Badd which was epicly godawful.

Whitney Houston's foghorn rendition of Dolly Parton's tender I Will Always Love You.

YMCA continues to hinder our progress as a species.

Hero by Enrique Iglesias

Dream Weaver

If by Bread

I can't pick just one
Pick Dream Weaver.

At least YMCA has provided us with plenty of jokes over the years.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
What III said.

Plus Wham's Careless Whisper.

"I'm never gonna dance again. Guilty feet have got no rhythm."

Morris (I'm not the cat.) Albert -- Feelings.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Whitney Houston's foghorn rendition of Dolly Parton's tender I Will Always Love You

Good choice. Poisonous and ubiquitous.

keekum

Registered
Reaction score
Website
keekum.livejournal.com
justin timberlake, sexy back.

i hate that song, because despite the fact that it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, i always catch myself bobbing my head to it as i sit by the pool or flip through the racks at clothing stores.

Susan Lanigan

Registered
Reaction score
YMCA is great :)

However I truly believe that the winner is without contest - Honey by David Goldsboro.

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
YMCA is great :)

However I truly believe that the winner is without contest - Honey by David Goldsboro.

I'm confused. Is it Bobby Goldsboro? I don't think I've ever heard of David. My vote for worst song is "You Light Up my Life" by Debbie Boone. I makes me hurl! AND of course, there's: "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy, I've Got Love in My Tummy" by the Archies, "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go" (already mentioned but deserving of at least one more vote), "Ice, Ice, Baby" by Vanilla Ice, "Disco Duck" (another previous mention that stinks so bad it also deserves a second mention), and last but certainly not least: William Shatner's version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds." There. I've gotten it off my chest!

Last edited:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
Bobby Goldsboro, born Robert Goldsborough

Honey was #1 1968 U.S., Number 2 in the UK, selling over a million copies; in Australia, #1, rated No.10 overall for 1968, ranked #25 on the Oz Net Music Chart's Top 100 for the 1960s, AND #1 on the U.S. country charts. I wonder where all those records are today. In landfills, probably.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
And what of I Love You by the Climax Blues Band? Those lyrics provide several head scratchers.

"If ever a man had it all, it would have to be me." Report directly to Grammar for Grasshoppers.

"I was foolin' around, feelin' down. Hittin' the beer." Oh no. Not the beer. This has actually become a catchword for despair in the Rima household after a bad day. "How's it going, honey? "Oh God, I feel like HITTIN' THE BEER!"

"Oooh babe, you got what it takes, so I made you my wife." Oh, hell to the no. Ladies, I ask you--some gentleman (who has been hittin' the beer) approaches you and tells you that "you got what it takes"--what is your response?

I'm assuming it involves some pepper spray and your pituitary giant cousin named Vinnie, yes?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has already mentioned it . . .

Bertha Butt Boogie
(with the immortal lyrics, "No grass grew when she'd been").

You can find it on youtube if you want to puke.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Okay, okay, I'll confess. I went to see the movie when it first came out.

Please don't think less of me.

For grins, I checked out Youtube to see if they had any movie clips. It was even cheesier than I remember. Click at your own risk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6uChtN8YcU

ETA: it's not quite bad enough for me to want to stab someone, but it's close!

Last edited:

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Melanie, Brand New Key. (AKA The Rollerskate Song)

Worst. Song. Ever.

JRH

practical experience, FTW
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowpoetry.com
I agree on "Tiptoe Thru The Tulips" being "Terrible" but "My Ding-A-Ling", along with "Mama's Got A Squeeze Box" broke the barriers of what performers could get away with on the radio, (and did it by implication only, without being "overtly" dirty), and, any who think they qualify as "worst" songs don't have a sense of humor or realize that their intent was to push the envelope against the censorship of the time.

Jim Hoye, (JRH)

P.S. Songs like "Purple People Eater", "Witchdoctor", "The Chipmonk's Song", and "Please, Mr. Custer", (in short, any songs by Sheb Wooley,David Seville or Ray Stevens) were written with the INTENT of being humorous and were extremely successful in doing so, and can only be judged on that basis.

Last edited:

C A Winters

Never say "I can't."
Registered
Reaction score
The Time of My Life by Patrick Swayze----

I like the movie version sound track by Bill Medeley and Jennifer Warns. (Name sp?)